Southwest vs Spirit. My first time on a Spirit flight

For anyone that’s comparing Frontier to Spirit:

I booked a flight to MCO on Frontier and a return flight on Spirit. I purchased the Flight Flex option for both. I now have to change both flights.

For Spirit, I would not only be allowed to change the day and time, I could change the route. BUT I was not allowed to change my seat. This was going to result in a $389 difference. The flight was only $24 difference. Those seats were where the $$ was at. So now I’m not flying in the big comfy seats :pensive:
Chat could not help me without charging me $99 per ticket. The one time free change can only be done online. So I had to first change my seat on my current flight to what I was willing to pay for on my second flight. It showed $0 change even though I was downgrading my seat. When I went to actually change my flight, i did get the full price that I paid, including the original seat charge, towards my new flight. It was a work around. I wonder what would have happened if my original seats weren’t available… Maybe then I would have been able to select new seats. To confirm, changing seats does not count towards the one time flight change but you also do not get a credit for downgraded seats as a rule.

For Frontier, it was confusing to know exactly when I was making the flight change. I had played around with different days last night. I never fully confirmed my changes, always hit the back option on the screen. I checked a few different dates. When I went to officially change the flight today it was showing it was already changed BUT to a date I didn’t want. And it used up my one free change. Chat was very helpful. They waived the change free AND did the changes since I was having problems with the site. I will say I never received a change notification email so maybe there was a glitch and this is why. The new flight should have resulted in small price increase, around $22 I think. But my conformation email showed no additional charge. The only caveat with Frontier is that you can NOT change the flight route- just the date and time.

So while it all worked out it took a lot of time and patience. In the future if I can pick a SW flight I will, hands down. Just because they are no hassle, no hoops IMO. They aren’t even that much more and probably cheaper if we had more than 1 carry on to pay for. It’s just a long weekend so I may not even have to buy a carry one. Rolling the dice on that one. Not pre-purchasing.

ETA: I want to note that Frontier chat made a big deal about them making the exception. I think normally they have the same policy that the 1 free change is suposed to be online only- not with an agent.

2 Likes

All good to know. I would agree that Southwest is less hassle if you have to change. And if my SW flight was anywhere near the same price, I would absolutely go with Southwest for that very reason. In my market I can fly spirit for $20 where a Southwest is almost almost 200+. So currently I’m just making sure I can go on those dates and if I need to rebook a flight I just no-show the original and pay $20 for the new flight. It would cost me more to change it then it would just book a whole new flight.

2 Likes

Totally! $20 is hard to pass up. Spirit and Frontier I th8nk were around $50 each originally. Sometimes I can get SW for that. It’s pretty common to catch a SW fare for $89 and under. I’d have a hard time passing up a $20 flight! Especially since it’s only about an hour flight.
ETA- I also upgraded the seats so the total was around $180 rt pp. Plus $30 total for the flex flight upgrade for each ticket.

2 Likes

SW used to have such great deals from Nashville. This year the prices skyrocketed. It’s sad. I’m glad they still have wonderful deals in your area!

1 Like

This is a great thread with excellent information. I am also flying in and out of BNA and am a Spirit convert. I’ve done the $40 round trip flights without paying for bags, and I’ve paid for a carryon and a big comfy seat and still beat Southwest prices. I started booking the $20 fare as a back up in case southwest is late or cancels but ended up flying spirit and getting my southwest points back. Now I just watch for $20 fares. I have an itch to try a one day trip with spirit… take the earliest flight to MCO and the latest flight back to BNA.

3 Likes

Was planning to book Spirit for our upcoming trip, however, after adding in the cost of bags and seats) we’re traveling with 2 grandchildren), it was $10 cheaper than Southwest. SW had the better flight times and allows a larger carry on so that’s the one I chose.

2 Likes

Anyone know how to figure out what the cost of a bag will be for a flight on Spirit? We are going to LAX and need to bring at least one checked bag and probably one carry on.

2 Likes

It should be on the site when you go through the booking process. Its a pain because you have to put in the passenger info. Just do it for 1 person. IIRC the checked bag is a little cheaper than the carry on, by maybe $5 or $10 dollars. I looked at this a few weeks ago and I think for our next flight it would be around $60 - $75 each prepaid. I’m going to attempt to just pack 2 personal items for the 3-4 days for DH and I. I love compression cubes. But at the gate they are more expensive so if I have to do a carry on I’m budgeting around $95 for 1. :pleading_face: That can really eat into the savings.

2 Likes

I’ll only use Spirit if I can get everything in a personal item. I refuse to pay for luggage with them. I’ll just fly SW if I’m taking luggage.

3 Likes

I’ve seen between $60-$90 EACH WAY. Their weight limit is 40lbs vs 50 for SW IIRC.

2 Likes

This is true

1 Like

Good things to know!

Off the top of your head, do you know what the rules are for personal item? I obviously can look it up, but if you already know…

1 Like

It does vary. It Listed mine as $48 if I wanted to bring one on my upcoming trip.

2 Likes

18x14x8- no more than 40 lbs and needs to be able to go under the seat in front of you. Amazon sells them for $10 last I checked. (Google Spirit personal item bag). I have the compression packing cubes that I love. They don’t save a ton of space over the regular cubes but we’ll make do. DH is going to make me up a cardboard box so I can see with my own eyes if I can get our stuff into 2 of these for a quick 4 day trip.

2 Likes

Also, I told DH he might have to travel in layers if it saves me from buying a carry on bag :joy:

1 Like

Personal Item for Spirit is 8x14x18 and they will make you put it in the bin to check and make sure it fits, EVERY TIME. If you have a purse, it needs to go in the personal item bag. When they say 1 personal item they mean ONE.

I found a great rolling bag personal item on Amazon that fits the Spirit bin where they check. I’ve packed for a 4 day Disney trip in it.

2 Likes

Did you watch Friends? Joey comes over in ALL of Chandler’s clothes and says, “Could I BE wearing anymore clothes?”

3 Likes

This is the way

1 Like

Not sure how this will post but I’ll attempt to link the American Tourister underseat Bag I use for Spirit. If the link doesn’t work, just search the name.

https://a.co/d/65Ii2RU

1 Like

dang - I love the spirit of free enterprise!

This is good that you are so clear, b/c I would likely have also tried to wear a fanny pack or such.

1 Like