Southwest change fare thingie is back

Damn. I’m not sure I’ll even be able to squeeze one shot in before 4/30. But man do I wanna get away.

1 Like

Just for giggles I did an experiment to see if you could be super sketchy on this and use the SAVENOW code for a cheap flight made cheaper and switch it to a more expensive/more convenient flight. Did not work for my markets based strictly on the fact that there are no cheap flights at this point for that date range

1 Like

I thought of that too, but the savenow code is for flights thru 4/30 and the dates with free changes are 5/9-6/5. I guess one could try booking in April, changing to a May date and then changing again?

I wouldn’t gamble on that. Seems risky. Unless you have points that you can tie up for the experiment that you’ll get right back

i’ve been thinking along those lines as well but keep deciding its not worth the risk…at one point i thought of changing our arrival date only to remember that it would mean another night in a hotel which would mean that really i wasn’t saving as much as i thought but “if you give a mouse a cookie”…and so i am back to hoping this will be available when my flights are happening. really i just want to go to Disney now is the main issue (my very last final day of work coincides with our trip)!

2 Likes

Disney math be like that

2 Likes

I doubt it would work, but always curious!

Does anyone know if you are still able to make a free change to your flights? Thinking about trying it this evening if I can convince DH.

I am still getting the red banner on the app telling me I can change! Good luck!

2 Likes

Woo! I did it! I booked a cheap May 11-18 fight and changed it to May 30- June 6. I got 5 round trip tickets for $714! The May 30 tickets right now are priced at $3500, so that means I saved almost $2800!!!

6 Likes

Great! That’s wonderful news. Congratulations!

So if I have flights June 14 and 21, would I be able to book an earlier flight and move it back to those dates?

Also, if I did early boarding, does that mess this up?

I’m sure this info has been mentioned, and I did read the whole thread before, but my brain just isn’t working at the moment. Thanks for the help everyone!

Alright, played around with it. Was able to rebook current flights to mid-May. Then moved to end of May, then moved to needed dates. Had to cancel and eat the early bird on my companion pass, but I saved over 68,000 points (cost me total of $80 in early bird fees on companion), so I think it’s worth it.

3 Likes

So you were able to move your late-May flights to 6/14 & 6/21? I thought it only applies to flights through 6/5 and you can only do 14 days on either side for changes?

It’s 30 days on either end.

1 Like

so you have to cancel the original flight you can’t just change the dates and then change them back again?

Didn’t have to cancel. Rescheduled from June to May, was given a refund on those cheaper flights. Then was able to move flights from May to June.

great! thanks!

Just did it!!! Got 26,000 points back! I messed around with points just to be sure and was still nervous but it worked! No red banner though just a notice that said “you must stay within these 3 airports in order to change your flights”! Thank you so much everyone!!!

2 Likes

It worked for me too about an hour ago, I got 25,000 points back. Changed my flights using the low fare finder to two dates in May for -25,000 pts (5/18 & 5/25, they jump super high the last week because of the holiday!) then changed back to my original dates.

1 Like