Southwest change fare thingie is back

I realize I am sounding like a crazy person :laughing: I just need to make a decision and get it over with but Covid is messing with me! There are no good non-stop flights available at the Wanna Get Away rates for my dates. Trying to possibly make the best of a bad situation by booking crappy flights with the hope of changing? But afraid to pull the triggerā€¦

1 Like

I am the exact same way! I have been not purchasing any flights because I do not want to pay double what I am used to paying. Hoping that I can use this trick but am nervous to do so!

1 Like

I am just confused about the whole thing. When this opportunity was most recently resurrected, it seemed like it was good on flights booked thru May 8 (my date of departure). I noticed that the non-stop flights were drastically reduced on that date, but my return date (May 15) was still the same old schedule. Now suddenly today, a lot of the non-stop flights disappeared for May 15, and what is left is crap! Quite a few of the flights are unavailable at the Wanna Get Away rate. Not sure if I should just book the more expensive flights before I lose them, or gamble on booking the cheaper flights, hoping to change. My delay is due to the fact that 3 out of 4 of us have not yet been vaccinated and we are hesitant to go without vaccines. Iā€™ve been hand-wringing over this trip for a month. I donā€™t want to be part of the problem.

1 Like

I totally get it. DH will not go if he doesnā€™t get his vaccine, which I understand and support. The unknown is very stressful!

Yeah this is what happens when this fare change thing is available. It becomes available because they are cancelling peopleā€™s flights and reducing the number of overall routes they are flying. Itā€™s possible they are also ā€œholdingā€ WGA fare classes for people rebooking in lieu of their flights that got cancelled or changed.

1 Like

Ok, I usually use the website, but I downloaded the app yesterday. I took a chance and booked the cheap flights tonight (ETA on the website), and got the confirmation email. I logged into the app, and it is telling me I have no trips? Is there usually a lag?

As an aside, if you cancel within 24 hours of booking, you can request a full refund to your original payment.

1 Like

Thank you! I am hoping to see the famous ā€œred change bannerā€ :smile:, but at this point, the app isnā€™t even showing that I booked flights!

Not typically. Maybe a few minutes at most.

1 Like

I had to use ā€œFind a Tripā€ and it was there.

1 Like

SUCCESS!!! I booked the cheapest flights for my days, and found my trip on the app. There was the ā€œred change bannerā€. I was then able to change to the flights I wanted for both dates at no additional cost! Thank you @OBNurseNH and everyone else for your help and patience. I love this forum! :heart:

9 Likes

All the hoorays!!!

1 Like

Thatā€™s great!

1 Like

Woohoo!

1 Like

What were the dates that you booked? What dates did you modify to?

I purchased a cheap departing flight on May 8 and a cheap return flight on May15 and then later modified to more expensive flights (that were actually unavailable for purchase at the WGA rate) on those same dates.

1 Like

For flights through 4/30, southwest is offering 20% off flights booked on points.

2 Likes

Ooooh booked or fly before 4/30?

Iā€™m trying to decide whether to cancel and rebook to get this but if I cancel (instead of change) I lose the early bird I already paid for.

Fly before 4/30. Book 3/23-3/25

3 Likes