Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Closing

Attractions Magazine is reporting that SotMK will be discontinued late this month. (No set date)

2 Likes

Well that’s one way to resolve fitting it into my touring plan…

1 Like

Oh, I’m really sad about this. :frowning: We were finally going to have enough time to really do this one right. I wonder if they’ll put something else, similar, into those locations.

3 Likes

I know some people will be sad about this, but we tried it back in 2016 and bailed after the first task. It just was eating into time that we would rather be doing other things with. Plus, since we had to wait for another group ahead of us, we already saw what we were going to see before we got our turn, which kind of just made it worse.

On our trip in December, I saw some guy (an adult) just standing in front of one of the Sorcerers spots holding up a large iPad or something with all the cards displayed on the screen. So he wasn’t even using the cards.

I think the idea of the ability to do spells at WWOHP far superior because you can come and go and do them as you please without taking a lot of time.

3 Likes

I have asked a couple of people about any potential replacement.

I can understand them closing it temporarily because the queues at the portals are blocking the the extended ride queues. But seemingly they’ve been targeting it for removal for a while - the cynic in me thinks it doesn’t bring in any money for them.

I’m really quite sad about this. It seems another cut for no good reason, if there’s no replacement planned. :frowning:

2 Likes

Sad. I love these extra scavenger hunt type games in all the parks. What’s next? Wilderness explorers? Ugh.

3 Likes

Ding ding ding

2 Likes

I wonder if they intend to replace it with some other interactive experience linked to your mobile device as part of whatever they have planned for replacing Magic Bands.

2 Likes

I sure hope so!

I’m just thinking that the whole HP Wand thing still has to be on their radar.

1 Like

WHAT?! My DH is going to be VERY sad to hear this! And I really enjoyed the whole experience too! I had low expectations but then had a blast. We might have to plan an immediate last minute trip to go stock up on trading cards…

1 Like

I liked this the first time we played it before Pirates Adventure…but the Pirates one is better. More interactive stuff like Pirates and the Phineas & Ferb (I know now gone) in Epcot. I prefer seeing something happen in 3D to the screens.

1 Like

True - I do like the 3-D experiences, too. It’s just sad to see all of these leaving with nothing replacing them. We’ve never done the Pirates one, maybe that’ll be our replacement activity.

3 Likes

It’s fantastic! My kids loved it when they were like 9 and 12 and this last time Hubby and I loved it. Kids were too cool of course but I could tell they were having fun underneath the teen exterior.

2 Likes

It actually loses them money if you consider it - staff / training / materials / maintenance on the tech

It’s a shame, but I get it. I never tried it as there’s always something else I want to do and it’s such a big use of your time. (Eespecially if you only get to go to Disney every year or so!)

1 Like

Oh yeah, it’s absolutely losing them money. HP interactive wands are a much better idea (obviously though, it’ll have to be something that is Disney IP) because they sell those wands for $$$ to cover all that.

1 Like

and wand’s are 3D effects so better than SotMK!

3 Likes

But I did buy extra SotMK cards at some point…however, they are not nearly as expensive or as readily available as wands.

I love my wand! I am thinking about getting another next time I get to go. (We bought the wand stand / holder at Olivander’s & it has multiple slots. My DD has a Luna & I have a Neville. I might get a Death Eater like Bellatrix next time!)

2 Likes

me too. We have last year’s special wand and then one of the birthday ones and harry’s. My mom has the elder wand

2 Likes