SOLO: A WDW Story (Aug 20-28)

Are you on your way there?!

2 Likes

I decided to ride Kilimanjaro Safaris first. We’re currently stuck because some rhinos decided to lay in road. :joy:

8 Likes

!!! :scream: 3 rhinos came out right behind our truck while we were stuck waiting for the animals in the road. They were SO close.

16 Likes

I was really tired when I got back to the room last night so here’s my not-so-nightly post from yesterday for August 22. NOTE: I will also do a separate Boma post with more of my thoughts about it. I’ve already posted some things about it and will briefly summarize in this post but I think I’m going to wait until I’ve had dinner there on Thursday (Aug 26) so I can give my thoughts on both in one post. If anybody has questions about my experience at Boma before then please ask!

August 22:

1. BOMA: AK Day but first, BOMA! I just want to say Jambo House is SO BEAUTIFUL. :heart_eyes: The Boma breakfast was delicious and I think worth the value at $29. It had a nice mix of standard breakfast buffet items and more unique things like the pap with spicy tomato sauce, bobotie, so forth. Definitely would recommend!

2. AK: Beautiful! Because I had breakfast at Boma I did not get to AK for rope drop. No matter! The crowds were SO LOW! I’m sure a lot of people think I’m crazy for traveling to WDW in August - it’s hot, it’s humid, there are hurricanes! - BUT the last week or so of August, going into Labor Day is really one of my favorite times to go. Primarily because the crowds tend to be low and kids are back in school. I didn’t know if that would still be the case since I haven’t been in years but my experience at AK just reinforced I made the right choice for me. I rode Dinosaur, saw Feathered Friends in Flight, rode the train out to the Conservation Station, did Kilimanjaro Safaris (which I posted about yesterday! :scream:), and walked on FOP at the end of the day. I had lunch at Flametree Terrace, and a Dole Whip break at Tamu Tamu. All-in-all a really fun day at AK! I have a second day at AK on Thursday so that’s when I’ll do all the trails, maybe ride Expedition Everest (it was down for most of the day yesterday and never reopened after it went down - not sure what the issue was), shop, go to @OBNurseNH Sacred Place, etc.

3. After I closed AK, I headed over to EPCOT to meet up with @DumboRunner and @Dreamer at Les Halles in France! Yay Liner meetup! It was so nice to meet them both! Incidentally, THE BUSES ARE SO FAR FROM WS UGH. But, we had a great time. I got quiche lorraine at Les Halles. It was delicious (and still a good value!). Then we walked around to The Alps booth because @DumboRunner wanted to try the meat-free raclette. I was too full from my quiche to try anything other than the tasty cornichon pickle that came it but both @DumboRunner and @Dreamer said it was a winner. We contined to walk around WS and then proceeded to the front of EPCOT since we were all wanting to beat the rush after EPCOT Forever.

4. Overall, it was another great day!

Here are some photos:

17 Likes

Oh! Fun thing I found out today. When I decided to extend my stay at AsMo (and shorten it at POP) to save some money, the agent gave me the opportunity to apply the savings (just lunder $100) to the room as a credit which sounded good to me! I usually do not charge things to my room and just pay directly. However, since I’m doing a split stay I wanted to know if any balance would transfer over to my POP reservation so I went to the front desk to ask. No, it does not transfer over. If there’s any remaining balance it comes back to me at some point. So today (and tomorrow) I will be using up my hotel credit, which should not be difficult at EPCOT and MK but it’s nice to have a little pot of extra money I almost forgot I had!

8 Likes

Nice! One of the positives about DDP was being able to use snack credits at EC food festivals. This is a bit similar… ok a stretch… but found money reappropriated is a gift :wink: Enjoy!

3 Likes

Ha! Exactly! I hadn’t thought of it quite that way but you’re right. My first stop today is San Angel Inn for lunch so I’m going to use it for that. I’ll have plenty left for food booths!

3 Likes

I got a table by the water at San Angel Inn! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

17 Likes

Great table location! I’m going to need copious amounts of pics and food descriptions here please. Love that place! Also when I was there last we had a reservation for 3, but 1 had to bail so when we checked in we told them it would just be the 2 of us. The guy said he would keep us down as a party of 3, bc as a party of 2 we wouldn’t be seated near the water. Weirdly we were not seated near the water and now you are solo. Disney rules :woman_shrugging:.

3 Likes

When was that? They have at least one table for two by the water. I’m sitting at it. I will make a San Angel post later today.

2 Likes

5ish weeks ago. I guess he said that if there is only 1 table for 2, but I thought it was an interesting comment. All worked out though bc our waiter worked at my favorite local Mexican place for years here and his brother managed it. Small world.

2 Likes

Nice! How is the table spacing?

2 Likes

That’s perfect!

1 Like

If you’re at all familiar with San Angel Inn you know they used to PACK the tables. Even the last time I went over 15 years ago it was like that. Right now everything is so nicely spaced. The guy at the check-in stand was telling me that they’ve been regularly adding more tables but they don’t want/plan to add back as many as pre-covid times. He even asked me what I thought of the way they have the tables spaced out now. Anyway, if you’re at all concerned with social distancing I think you would be ok with San Angel Inn and the way they have the tables spaced now.

4 Likes

Great! Thanks for the info. I was there in Feb. 2020 and we packed in tight. Good to hear that there’s more space now.

1 Like

Oh wow! I’m glad it all ended up working out!

2 Likes

:cry: LWTL is my favorite. As of now it is still down.

4 Likes

Great pics!

2 Likes

I wonder if they are doing something to prevent people from putting their hands (and, ahem, their bodies) into the exhibit.

So awful.

6 Likes

Probably. :rage::rage::rage:

(They should have never gotten rid of the guided boat rides)

6 Likes