Six Flags Over Texas (2019 Sep 1)

I wasn’t sure whether I would share this or not, but I finally decided to. I figure, if nothing else, writing out everything is practice for my big WDW trip report coming in November. And perhaps someone out there will read this and get something out of it, so here it is. Since the WDW category is by far the most active, I’m sharing it here. If these kinds of reports are of future interest, I think we should ask the powers-that-be to create a new forum “category” to organize them. I started the conversation about this on a previous thread here: https://forum.touringplans.com/t/non-disney-category/63624/21

The other day I did something extremely unusual, for me at least: I went to Six Flags Over Texas. Solo. Not only was the solo part unusual, but the last time I was inside a theme park was well over 10 years ago, maybe even 15 years ago. I got the idea the day before when returning home to Dallas from visiting the Fort Worth zoo with the family. We drove by Six Flags, and I commented to DW that I really wanted to go there. She replied, “Why don’t you?” I thought she was just making a snide remark, but I asked her about it later and she said I should do it. I looked into pricing and it turned out they were offering 2019/2020 season pass combos for only $60 while 1-day tickets were going for $50 and parking (included with season pass) was $20. So, I actually ended up getting a season pass.

I wanted to go to the park for several reasons. Primarily to get a “mini-break” from life that has been grinding me up lately. I also wanted to check out the park by myself to see if it was worth the cost to bring DS4 and DS3 (not too many rides they can go on yet). Finally, and perhaps most importantly now that I’m thinking about it, I wanted to go for nostalgia. I grew up in Austin (about 3 hour drive) and we didn’t have a lot of money. My fondest vacation memories are the 2 or 3 times we drove up to Dallas to go to Six Flags (and made side trips to the Wax Museum, and something else I’m sure). There were several moments while I was there the other day when I recognized something, even a minor detail in some cases, and it took me back to my childhood. Such a strange phenomenon. I’m not even sure if I was recalling actual memories or just photos from our family albums. But the sensation was real, almost dizzying if that makes sense.

Well, that’s enough rambling about personal stuff. On to the trip report. But first a note: I had planned to take a bunch of photos but I failed miserably. Sorry for the lack of visuals. I will do better next time.

I arrived at the entrance to the parking lot around 9:45 with about 20 cars ahead of me, but it moved pretty quickly. I showed them my printed season pass voucher and they waved me through. I’m not sure they even looked at it. I parked around 9:55 , put on sunscreen and walked over to join the mass of people waiting in front of security. I joined the bagless entry line (had my cargo shorts on), behind about 100-150 people. Around 10:15 they started letting people through and at 10:24 I was inside the park. Seemed pretty efficient to me.

Since this was a spur-of-the-moment visit, I didn’t really do any research or tour planning. Didn’t even look at a park map until I arrived. The only thing I cared about was “seeing” the entire park and riding some of the bigger rides I know my kids can’t ride yet.

The first ride on my list was The Titan, the “tallest, fastest, and longest coaster in Texas.” I decided to Rope Drop that. It took me a while to find it – the park is not easy to navigate. This was a problem for me the entire time and was made worse by the fact that I did not have a plan. I criss-crossed the park several times during the day. As I was walking to The Titan, I was struck by how empty the park was. There was practically no one around. Everyone must have been going towards the newer rides (Titan is older, maybe 20 years?). I was held at the Titan’s queue entrance along with a few other people, and we waited about 10 minutes before they let us up onto the platform. They ran 4 or 5 trains before letting us board. It was fun, and I nearly blacked out going around the first helical turn. A little scary, but I remembered this from when I rode it before so I expected it.

At 10:59 I was off Titan and walking next door to the Texas Giant, which I was riding at 11:13 . This was my first “big” coaster when I was a kid, and I remember it rattled and shook me like a rag doll. It gave me a headache and I hated it. They updated it at some point since then, it’s actually called the “New Texas Giant”, and it was a much smoother ride. Fun. No headache.

After my first two rides I was a bit nauseous (am I really too old for this? I mean, I’m only 33 dangit!) So, I took a short bathroom and water break, and walked along the north side of the park, taking in the scenery like the Oil Derrick, which is just a big observation tower.

I thought about riding Runaway Mine Train (my first coaster as a kid), but decided I would wait and ride that with my kids whenever I come back with them. I had intended to ride my favorite coaster, Mr Freeze, but I took a wrong turn and ended up at the new Justice League: Battle for Metropolis ride. This is a 3D shoot-em-up interactive dark ride I was planning to do later in the afternoon when it was hot. The line was pretty long, but I noticed they had a single-rider line which was empty. I jumped in. The ride was a lot of fun, I scored in the all-time 99th percentile, but the 3D effects were pretty crappy. The screens were really blurry and the ride vehicle spun around quite a bit. All this made me even more nauseous.

By now it was 11:40 and it was already in the mid-90s (35C). I thought maybe I was getting dehydrated so I got a Powerade at Metropolis Snacks and walked through Bugs Bunny Boomtown while I gulped it down. Here are 8-10 kid rides modeled after the bigger rides, including a small coaster, a swing, a drop tower, spinning cups, etc. This would be the focus if DS4 and DS3 came. I’m on the fence about whether it’s worth bringing them. Perhaps if it’s coupled with a bigger event like “Holiday in the Park”.

At 11:55 I got in line for Mr Freeze, and waited about 20 minutes. This is my favorite coaster here because you start off in reverse, launching from 0 to 70 mph (113 kmh) in like 4 seconds, travel through some loops and then go straight up a vertical track until stopping, then reverse back. It’s a fun, short ride. I also like this one because the queue area is actually themed: it is an abandoned cold-storage facility which is the hideout for Mr Freeze (Batman antagonist).

After this, I was feeling nauseous again so I walked around the rest of the east side of the park, which is DC comics land (Joker, Riddler, Batman, etc.), but I didn’t ride anything. There was a local rock band playing on a stage which I listened to for a few minutes. I started to think my nausea was compounded by hunger, so I decided to find somewhere to eat inside. Unfortunately, there were not many options. I am so looking forward to WDW in this respect. The only place that had indoor seating (except Johnny Rockets which was packed like sardines, and some American Diner place which had a line 50 people long), was JB’s Smokehouse. This was about 12:30 . There was a long line, but they had touch-screen kiosks where you could order, and NOBODY was using them. WHY? I ordered and had my food within 5 minutes, and I’m guessing I would have been in line at least 15-20 minutes by the look of it.

In a few weeks Six Flags starts their Fright Fest season, when they convert some of their spaces to haunted houses. While I was eating my burger and fries, I watched some HR reps interviewing people that wanted to be “scare actors”. They were on a stage and were having to do weird stuff like pretend to be a sumo wrestler fighting a samurai warrior in super slow motion. It wasn’t really that entertaining, but it was better than watching random people walk by.

After lunch, I walked over to the Texas Justice show, which is like a cowboys-and-robbers shootout, but decided I didn’t want to wait 20 minutes for it to start. I realized that I had passed by the Shock Wave coaster earlier, and that was on my short list. Another case where the park layout screwed me up. So, at 1:34 I was on Shock Wave, which is special to me because it was my first upside-down coaster. I rode it with my Dad when I was a kid. Ah, fond memories.

After that I backtracked again through an area I had been probably 4 times already (darn you crappy park layout), to ride Runaway Mountain. This is an indoor, completely dark coaster. The line was super long so I decided to skip it. It was getting really hot by now, and I wasn’t feeling too well. I had knocked off the top few rides on my list, and since I had an AP and could come back for the others, I figured I’d go ahead and call it a day. Get back to the wife and kids before dinner. But first I needed to get some souvenirs for the kiddos. I had told them if they behaved well for DW I would get them something. On my way to the Looney Tunes Mall, I ran into Tweety Bird!

At 2:02 I was outside the gate. A short visit, but a good one. I will say that Six Flags is clearly a step down from Disney in just about every regard. This visit made me even more excited for my family’s first trip to the World this Halloween. But, at $65 for an AP, and considering its only 30 minutes from my house, I will be going back at least 2 or 3 times in the next year.

Thanks for reading.

Some Numbers
18,732 steps
$130 spent ($80 AP, $20 lunch, $13 souvenirs, $10 cotton candy, $6 Powerade)
5 rides
4 hours in park
1 character meet-and-greet

12 Likes

This brought back memories of my childhood also - I grew up/live in the Dallas area and spent a lot of time there as a kid. Good to see they updated Texas Giant. That thing was so painful!

Also gig ‘em!

1 Like

Nicely done!!! Have only been back twice as an adult with kids and they haven’t craved anything real big yet so I haven’t ridden the Titan in probably 10 years. At least. And I remember that black-out spot. It’s pretty intense.

And I can never find Runaway Mountain.

1 Like

Totally missed that!!! Gig ‘em over here too!!

1 Like

Great report! Will it be easier to navigate the park on your next trip?

1 Like

Definitely! Their map is very cartoony and hard to navigate. But I got the feel of the park pretty quick after my first circuit.

1 Like

There are some parks it seems like I can never figure them out!

1 Like

Sounds like you had a good time! I haven’t been to six flags in ages, but I bet I would have similar nostalgic flashbacks. A shame about Runaway Mountain - I always liked that one, but you got far more thrills in than I probably would have!

1 Like

@PrincipalTinker or @missoverexcited could one of you move this over to the “Non-Disney Parks” category?

Done!

2 Likes

I appreciate this update.

Growing up, I had season passes to Six Flags and Wet N Wild (yeah, I’m old) every summer. I’ve been contemplating taking the kids to SF as a bridge between Disney trips.

1 Like

Last time I was at Six Flags Over Texas, “Flashback” was the brand new ride…which puts it in 1989.

I’m sure a lot has changed since then. For example, the original Texas Giant hadn’t been built yet.

1 Like

The Runaway Mine Train was my first ever coaster when I was almost 7 years old back in 1980. We got stuck. It traumatized me! I didn’t ride another coaster or any type of amusement park ride until a trip to WDW in 2012, but even then, DS was only 4, so we didn’t ride anything crazier than Peter Pan on that trip. Went back in 2015 when he was 7 and ended up getting the bug after he made me ride Space Mountain, Rock’n Roller Coaster and others. Since that trip, I’ve been hooked and now my wife hates my obsession with Disney and Universal.

1 Like

Great trip report! I grew up going to Six Flags St. Louis and it sounds like our parks are pretty similar. They are definitely a huge step down from Disney, but still can be fun. Did you know that you can use your AP at all Six Flags parks in the US? We visited the 3 parks that were in Texas in 2000 (San Antonio, Houston and Dallas) and have gone to Six Flags Great America in IL a few times with our passes. Even your parking pass will work at another park.

1 Like

We that a few years ago while doing a multi-park vacation. We bought the AP for Six Flags Great America, since it was cheaper to do that for two days. We then drove to King’s Island and Hersheypark. But rather than do a second day at Hersheypark, we realized we were quite close to Six Flags Great Adventure. It was effectively free due to our AP, so we spontaneously swapped a day at Hersheypark for a day at Six Flags Great Adventure. Finished out the trip with a day at Cedar Point.

Then, because we had the AP, we ended up going back to Six Flags near Chicago later in the summer.

2 Likes

I haven’t been to SF in at least 15 years, but I still very distinctly remember my first and only ride on the Texas Giant. It was so rough!!! I guess I’ll have to go back and try the new one sometime :slight_smile:

Man, you’re taking me back to my youth!! I haven’t thought of it in years, but I totally remember it now that you mention it :smiley:

Mine too!!

As far as theme, absolutely. But I grew up at SF over Texas and Atlanta. I’m a thrill ride junkie. And Disney just does not compete on that level. When my kids are old enough, I can’t wait to get them on all the big rides with me!

I remember when the Black Hole was brand new!

That was my first “backward” coaster. I loved that ride.

Oh, me too! I also remember being very scared to ride it at first, but loving it!

1 Like

Very good point. And one of the reasons I decided to go to SFOT. Get the thrill ride bug out of my system before the family trip next month. Not planning for the Disney “thrills” like ToT, RNRC, EE. Hoping DS4 and DS3 will be up for 7DMT and Slinky Dog. Also planning to do FOP while the kids are in the Boneyard. Still, nothing like going 70 mph down a 150 ft drop.

1 Like

Interesting trip report.
I grew up in Arlington and I had Season Passes every year. As a kid we would sometimes drop by for an evening. It was nice seeing a report from someone who both went as a kid, and then as an adult. We live about an hour away but still have passes now that we have a child.

When we went to Universal recently, daughter started to compare everything in Universal to Six Flags. My worry was that she wouldn’t want to go to Six Flags ever again because Universal or Disney always had something better. So, I explained to her that Disney, Universal and Six Flags were like our Dairy Goats, Chickens and Dog. Yes, they are all animals, but you really can’t compare them and say that one is better than another. She understood that. A friend at work who is a Disney-fiend mentioned that her son was the unofficial leader in Disney of a high-school group that was there for competition. One girl was ugly because she didn’t find the Disney rides thrilling enough.

1 Like