Six Flags and Cedar Park merging

5 Likes

So what do liners think of this? I know we have some Six Flags fans and former employees here.

I’m not sure what I think. I grew up in Arlington, Six Flags headquarters, so I have an emotional connection to Six Flags.

6 Likes

Interesting news! I’m not sure what to think about this. I know that some of the cedar fair properties are struggling a bit, so from that standpoint I’m not surprised.

@darkmite2 , have you seen this?

5 Likes

My son and I have chatted about this. Not sure what to think. I am afraid it will mean higher prices, and perhaps Cedar Fair parks going downhill. But maybe it will mean Six Flags parks will improve. (If you can’t tell, I prefer Cedar Fair to Six Flags.)

7 Likes

I’ve never been to a Cedar Fair park but have been to a few Six Flags. We had one in New Orleans for a brief period. It was in a terrible location. But I haven’t been to a Six Flags in over 16 years.
My over all impression is that Six Flags has gone down hill. I’ve heard Cedar Fair parks have a reputation for being a step above in quality.
What I would like to see is a resurgence in the amusement parks. I do like more of a theme though. It doesn’t have to be like Disney and its IP. But more textures and detail to mimic the region and broken up into “lands”.
Like in our Six Flags for example. I would have loved a good swamp theme where it felt like you were strolling through the wooded swamps or a downtown theme (minus the crime) with the historic buildings and art.

4 Likes

This is something that has been long rumored. I’m kinda surprised it’s finally happening. As much as I love Six Flags, it is definitely the weaker of the two companies. The board of directors hasn’t had much stability in a more than a decade. They’ve crashed their stock a couple times.

The hard part will be how many Six Flags parks will be closing? When I left in 2008, during those layoff / park closures, there were 30 U.S. Parks. (not counting waterparks as “separate”) It’s down to 15 now. Sadly, people habitually lose jobs when companies merge / restructure.

7 Likes

Well Cedar Fair took my favorite water park of all time (Schlitterbahn) and ruined it so…not happy they can do that to my Six Flags too. But I did like Cedar Point so…

5 Likes

Sounds like lots of us are conflicted.

Even before this news, my plan was for us to use our 2023 season passes until we are sick and tired of six flags. Then next year, not get one. Thought being to get another pass Labor Day 2024 for 2025.

One thing though, when I bought the 2023 passes, they had the Flash Pass for under $150. I’m cheap, but that sounded like an awesome deal. For the 2024 passes they were $450. We’ve gotten spoiled by the flash passes, but not at $450.

We loved Fright Fest this year.

3 Likes

I went back to my home SF park - St. Louis for the first time in about 10 years in April. It looked almost the same. (That’s not really a good thing) Nothing was “worn out” or looked bad, but nothing looked new or exciting either. It was like they’ve been just trying to hold it together with whatever budget they’ve had for a decade…

6 Likes

Our local seasonal park is owned by Cedar Fair and I do think it’s well run.

No idea if ours is profitable or not, but we get season passes about every other summer. I thought Cedar Fair had a better reputation than Six Flags, but maybe that’s not correct?

2 Likes

The Six Flags near me is filthy, so I can only hope it will improve.

2 Likes

The Six Flags by me is fairly decent, so I’m ok there. I’m also what’s now called a Legacy Member, as 6F has moved to a Season Pass. So I wonder what they will do with my membership.

3 Likes

What aboit the existing Cedar Fair parks? Will they be repranded as “Six Flags presents” or something like that?

Also, if its a merger, why does Six Flags get to keep their name? Shouldnt they morph into something new?

3 Likes

Because this is what both CSuites have decided to do?

3 Likes

What? Really? I haven’t ever been to a Cedar Fair park but I though they were really good, and our SF is just barely passable (but I did just go there last weekend…).

1 Like

Possibly because the name Six Flags has more name/brand recognition than Cedar Fair. When people go to a Six Flags park, they tend to remember the Six Flags park the most, rather than, say, Great America or Great Adventure, etc. But with Cedar Fair, people often don’t even know it is a Cedar Fair park. They go to Cedar Point, or King’s Island, or Knott’s Berry Farms, etc.

I am not sure I think this is a good decision, though…and they could decide to change that before the deal is complete. But if people already associate Six Flags in a somewhat negative light, rebranding the Cedar Fair parks as something like Six Flags Cedar Point could tarnish the image.

4 Likes

The head cheese at Cedar Point will be the head cheese of the combined.

Maybe my view of Six Flags is different since I’ve only been to the flagship location. They haven’t started a new big ride since the lockdown, but then has Disney World? They did do a full refurbish on their Tunnel of Love ride. That isn’t the real name, but I think of all dark rides in a little boat on water as Tunnel of Love. It was as well-done, and equaled or surpassed the versions at Disney World, Universal and Legoland CA, except for Frozen. The projected faces in Frozen are awesome.

Only reason I’m not a complete Six Flags fan-girl is the employees. I understand it goes with being a year-round park. But I’d say 1/3 of the food employees don’t understand the concept of work. You wait in a huge line for food and you see 1/3 of the visible employees cooking, 1/3 working and 1/3 standing there and talking doing absolutely nothing. But, since they are year-round they can’t have mostly eager high-school kids. But, then we are going next Saturday, so I shouldn’t complain.

2 Likes

It is hard to use Disney as the standard lately. Disney has been pretty much doing everything wrong for the past few years (even BEFORE COVID).

Universal is a better comparison. They are doing almost everything right…including updating/fixing existing rides, plus building not one, but TWO completely new theme parks.

But even then…it isn’t fair to compare Cedar Fair nor Six Flags to Universal or Disney, since while in the amusement park arena, they have a different target. SF and CF are about gaining as many locals as possible. Disney and Universal are actually trying to be vacation destinations, and actually have a bit of a love/hate relationship with locals.

4 Likes

If I buy the cedar fair all parks gold pass, will I be able to use it at six flags next season?

I like your answer better