Silliest New Year's Resolution Ever

I foolishly toyed around with a not-even-half-hearted, very-poorly-thought-through, barely-qualifies-as-a-semi-resolution at the start of the new year . . . that 2019 would be a year completely off from Disney and that any solo trips I take will be to new destinations that I have never visited before. My last trip to the world (in early September) was slightly less magical than previous trips (way too hot, way too rainy, and I was sick for half of it) plus my AP expired in October. Soooo, a break year seemed like a reasonable idea. :roll_eyes:

Well, that resolution lasted barely 14 days into 2019 (not surprising, considering my abysmal track record with NY resolutions! :joy:).

My next trip is booked, a handful of ADRs have been rounded up, and color-coded first-draft itineraries have been generated during the wee hours of the past few mornings. I leave in exactly 50 days (!!!), so I’ll be there for opening day of the Flower & Garden Festival!
:tada: :sunflower: :grinning:

13 Likes

Congrats! What a great time to arrive! Admit it- that was a pretty silly resolution!

5 Likes

Congrats for staying so strong! I’m sure most of us here couldn’t have been so dedicated to such a resolution.

:wink:

4 Likes

VERY silly! :joy:

2 Likes

To be perfectly honest, my resolve lasted less than 14 days… I’ve been googling flight prices for at least a week. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

What a silly resolution! Glad you didn’t stick to it.

Me too! :smile:

1 Like

That’s so funny! Have a great trip!!!

1 Like

Congrats on staying strong! LOL We were there last September as well (we probably passed each other in the parks) and our trip sounds very similar to yours. Both hubby and I got very sick and although heat is usually something I thrive in, it was even a bit too hot for me on a few days. We weren’t looking to make a trip back this year because we have a big trip planned for July (celebrating our daughter’s graduation from UT so we’re taking her to Hawaii). But, we just couldn’t hold out and booked a trip for early May. :slight_smile: Good to be planning again and back here catching up on everyones posts!

1 Like

Hawaii is next on my list! I have never been there, but I’m really hoping to book a trip for late this year if I can afford it . . . already doing WDW in March and then England with the family in May (plus my sister really wants me to take her to Food and Wine Festival this fall since she has never been and I’ve been twice already :grimacing:) . . . so we’ll see what the travel budget looks like around the middle of the year! Hopefully I can swing it. :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Sounds like a great travel year!!! England is on my bucket list…hoping to get there in the next few years.
Very excited for Hawaii. I was there over 20 years ago so, this will feel like it’s my first visit again! Lol. I will say, it’s been easier planning for Hawaii than it is for WDW. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Oh Hawaii!!! I was there so long ago it feels like another lifetime! After our upcoming WDW trip it’s time to get my daughter a passport :grin:Now has anyone done Adventures by Disney? Kidding (at least I think so)I used to be more of a Rick Steve’s traveler who knows at this point it’s been so long​:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

That’s encouraging to hear! Somehow I feel way more intimidated by the thought of traveling solo to Hawaii than to Disney. Disney is so . . . controlled. And it feels so safe and so separate from the real world. AND I’ve done WDW solo 4 times now, so I don’t feel out of my element at all. Hawaii will definitely push me out of my comfort zone!

(Also, you should definitely try to make it to England! This will be my second trip and I can’t wait to go back. Clotted cream was life-changing, haha! :smile:)

3 Likes

That would be amazing. But it would cost more than several other trips put together (at least for this budget-conscious traveler) so that’s probably not going to be in the budget any time soon! :sob:

2 Likes

@Dobster me too! The angst I had just booking a dessert party😅thank goodness for the tips and tricks here!

1 Like

Yup. We’ve been to Europe 3 times and Hawaii once since the last time we were in WDW. Since we live in the middle of nowhere, it all costs about the same and requires the same amount of time off. (Excluding the epic 3 1/2 weeks we spent in Ireland/UK/France that one time).

When the kids were little we used to alternate a Hawaii trip with WDW, but what happened is WDW got more expensive and so they are now all about the same. And we take several other US trips per year- oddly enough, never been to the Grand Canyon so that’s next on the list.

But we are SO excited to be back in WDW after a few years’ hiatus! The kids are young adults now, but they all somehow made time to go.:grin:

4 Likes

We did the rafting trip down the canyon (the gentle part 2 nights ending in lake mead) 30 years ago and it is still hands down our favorite family experience! We slept on army cots in the canyon and the stars were just amazing! it was a great way to celebrate milestones no one thought would happen. Can’t wait to do it with my daughter and nephews!

3 Likes

It’s crazy to think that WDW is as expensive (if not slightly more) than Hawaii these days. :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Although WDW is so controlled, there is so much to do that I think it gets overwhelming at times. Traveling solo to Hawaii, I think you could easily conquer that because the pace is way different. I sometimes feel like Disney sets our pace, no matter how much we try to avoid that. In Hawaii, you can explore or sit on a beach or drink by the pool and not feel guilty because that’s the island vibe…slow and go.
Clotted cream huh? What would you compare it to here in the states?

It’s so hard to describe but it is truly wonderful. It’s an unfortunately-named cream that is served on scones (along with jam or lemon curd) . . . the texture is something of a cross between softened butter, whipped cream, and sour cream, but richer and silkier. It tastes like the freshest of creams and I couldn’t get enough of it. My sisters and I ate it with our morning scones almost every single day of our 17-day trip to the UK (because everyone knows that vacation calories don’t count)! :yum:

I was craving it so badly after our trip that I tried to make some at home . . . that was one pretty spectacular Pinterest Fail! :joy:

1 Like