Should I go on this cruise that you can't go on?

My issue is for the price the cruises should be amazing. But all the experiences, every single one, will be modified in some way. And some won’t be there at all.

You’ll be dining alone for a start, (unless you book with a friend on the same reservation AND can convince DCL that you are in a bubble). For some that might be fine but ordinarily if you struck up a friendship I believe you can ask to dine together. Or ask to dine with others ahead of time.

Booking to see shows, which may mean you are limited to once per voyage. You may not get a Marvel night, you may only get Frozen. They haven’t said that each cruise will have both.

It’s this complete uncertainty along with the ridiculous price per person per night that made it a hard No for me.

4 Likes

That’s only half the issue though. You could let us in, but no way will the US be on the U.K. “green list” for a long time. Probably Orange. That’s for England I should say, Wales have already said no international travel for the rest of the year except for essential reasons. Scotland will be somewhere between the two, NI I have no idea about.

But Orange will still mean 10 days quarantine, albeit at home with mandatory testing. Might be OK for Matt but it will rule it out for most people.

2 Likes

I’ve weakened my stance because if I don’t get a decent holiday this summer I’m going to go postal.

I did have my DLP back-up plan, but that’s just as uncertain as WDW, and I’m worried it will be really busy.

2 Likes

I think you can buy yourself out early with some other test.

1 Like

All totally legitimate. However, it’s still a bit exciting. I’ve never been on a ship before. Exploring it will be fun. I’ll have a nice room. And some decent food. Maybe see a good show.

4 Likes

Yeah that is a pretty steep price for a modified experience, but I imagine Disney will fill it with other unique experiences that the rest of us will never have on a cruise bc of the circumstances.

2 Likes

I do so love the internet. Someone on the Facebook group I’m in for these cruises just asked if single people should be allowed on the cruises if they don’t have children. They think it’s odd I would want to take a solo cruise as an adult.

2 Likes

My goodness I can empathize with this uncertainty! I have backup to backup trips planned now. And I can’t really build up the excitement to plan anything properly because I’m so worried about being disappointed. I honestly haven’t even told my kids about these trips which is just sad because I feel like I’m robbing them of some excitement but god forbid we can’t go. It honestly feels like roulette which trip will happen at this point! And I do recognize that I’m very fortunate to have thousands of dollars in deposits just sitting out there with my fingers crossed.

3 Likes

I did not spend much time with my kids on the ship at all so this person is insane. I did the rainforest experience and got a massage in the spa. I ate at Remy and Palo and made the kiddo eat in the kids club and the teen ordered room service for those meals. I played the muppets scavenger hunt twice because the first time I did it without kiddos. We only saw the Beauty and the Beast show and a movie and the kiddos did come to that. I did ride the slide with kiddo the first day and we did our excursions together but most of the time on the boat kids club for the younger one (that’s where she wanted to be) and adult things with my parents and hubby the rest. There is so much for adults on a normal cruise. And I didn’t like cruising either on Princess or RCL. I loved the excursions on those cruises but the boats. Nah. But I loved the Disney Dream. I’m going to repeat the same darn locations just so I can check out the Wish. We did four nights and it wasn’t enough imho but this was all precovid.

4 Likes

So the back-up plan is ballooning …

Phase 1: Travel down to London, stay there, and visit Thorpe Park, Legoland and Warner Bros Studios (Harry Potter). Four nights.

Phase 2: Travel from London to Southampton for cruise. Three nights.

And then home.

10 Likes

This is what infuriates me - why do people care so much about decisions that don’t impact them. Even if you’re “taking a room” or whatever BS from a family with kids, they had the same opportunity to book it as you did. I can never understand people who have this kind of logic. I just want to smack them and say “what’s wrong with you?”
It reminds me of this crazy entitled lady. I was so mad about this. Mom Thinks Childless Millennials Should Be Banned From Disney

3 Likes

I hope you can do WDW. That is an insane amount of money for reduced offerings for DCL. I mean, if money’s not a problem, more power to you. But is it even possible to have enough fun to warrant that investment?

1 Like

You know you need to book the HP Studios tour? Best do that now, it books out weeks in advance.

And I highly recommend a front of line pass for Legoland, otherwise it can be very long lines. Unless it’s midweek and schools are back (I assume you’ve checked for closing dates - I think they close Mon & Tues off peak).

1 Like

At this stage I’m more doing a feasibility study.

The idea is to stay at Heathrow Airport because I have Trainline credit for a return journey from Harrogate to Heathrow. Heathrow to Thorpe Park, etc, is all fairly short distances by car. (I may hire one. Or use Ubers.)

The most shockingly expensive thing so far is car hire.

3 Likes

At least in the US, many rental car companies sold off a large portion of their fleets (it’s been estimated up to a 1/3 of all rental cars), reducing the number of the cars significantly.

There is shuttle service from I think the the Watford train station to Warner Bros Studios. I had read on the Lego website that the there was shuttle service from Legoland to the train station, but when I got to Legoland, that was not the case. There was a bus stop nearby, so we used the bus to get to the train station. Traffic was also awful leaving the park

Agree with @Nicky_S on booking HP now and the Front of the Line pass for Legoland. The audio tour for HP was really wonderful and I recommend it.

Your rant today was timed hilariously for me, because I spent a bit of time yesterday to determine if I could fly to London for a long weekend. I’m off for two weeks, Monday - Friday, but our Disney trip is Wednesday - Wednesday, and it was just announced that Sutton Foster was going to be performing Anything Goes in London, and I had a grand plan to cash in some miles and fly from Disney to London on Wednesday and return on Sunday. The short answer is no, that’s not possible now. So, open up your country already!

1 Like

There is a bus that runs basically from near one of the stations (I want to say Riverside - it’s the one near the bridge to Eton high street) to Legoland.

But it is a regular bus service, it’s just it is advertised as a shuttle because of the frequency and it goes right up to the main gate of Legoland. We always pick it up from opposite the Theatre Royal.

2 Likes

The UK prime minister held a press conference today, focussing on the Indian variant. Here’s the headline takeaway:

3 Likes

:frowning_face:

I really hope he’s wrong about that, for so many reasons.

1 Like

I think they are odd for being so codependent :disappointed:

1 Like

Boooooooooooooooooo

1 Like