Should I go on this cruise that you can't go on?

Super frustrated by this. I’ve only cruised DCL and am torn between trying a different line to save money, or staying with what I assume to be the best. If it’s like going from WDW to UOR, that would be ok, but not WDW to Six Flags. I probably have more research to do before I get to the point of making a choice.

2 Likes

My first two cruises were DCL (separated by 13 years) and I was worried about trying something else.
While the shows and rotational dining on DCL can’t be expected anywhere else, the food, activities, and ROI offered on other lines have made it so all of my other cruises (Princess, NCL, Carnival) are every bit as fabulous, if not more so. What’s more, there are a lot of cool ports out there DCL doesn’t visit.

2 Likes

It was the same length but you are right, it probably would have been cheaper on RCL with some sort of 50% off second guest or kids sail free. But it was interesting to see that the “rack rate” was pretty close. And I have been told that DCL food is better than RCL because they really push the upcharge dining. I don’t really think we plan to do any “extras” on either ship so it was kind of good to know that they were reasonably close.

This is what has surprised me the more I research DCL. I’m downright shocked about the Wish itineraries. I’m excited for the Bermuda port and would be interested in Castaway Cay, but otherwise nothing really interests me.

2 Likes

My family strongly disagrees with this. Our experience with the rotational dining was not very positive (food or service). The speciality dining on DCL was amazing (but so very expensive).

Editing to add: although I loved the adult sections of DCL I think their presentation on the Wish was very clear. Rotational dining was described as “family dining” and the other up charges are “adult”.

2 Likes

I think it is important to remember that there will always be the “only Disney will do” crowd on either land or sea.

I am glad we got to do DCL, and I hope to again. But I am equally as glad that we have tried (and enjoyed) so many other lines. I have had good meals and great meals on every ship. I’ve never had a truly horrible one.

I hope you can do DCL, but I wouldn’t rule out other options if they present themselves.

3 Likes

Oh we are definitely already booked on RCL Mariner of the Seas in March of 2022, but that is without kids!!

1 Like

I’m cursing myself for joining the Disney will do crowd for Disney resorts at WDW. Now only on-site will do! I’m not sure I can ever go back.

Fair! I did start listening to the DCL podcast instead of Pete from the Dis so hopefully I’ll get some less biased feedback.

Isn’t this the case on the existing ships as well? I don’t think you can bring kids to Remy and Palo now.

Yes, but I think it should give people a more reasonable expectation of the food.

Meh. I think I could stay off-property again.

2 Likes

Maybe when your kids are bigger?
I like to spread out and not sleep in the same room with my kids (though on ships, we certainly do!) We also like long visits and some laundry access and some simple breakfasts.

As on-site is offering fewer and fewer perks, I’m surprised more people don’t more seriously consider off-property.

2 Likes

There are two issues for me.

First, am I going to benefit from the resort itself? Historically, they’ve just been somewhere to sleep for me. In August I am going to make an effort to actually spend time at and enjoy the resort (CSR). Resorts also have transportation benefits, of varying types. Theming isn’t a huge sell for me. In normal times anyone can visit any resort and enjoy the theming. Season makes a difference. In the summer I would be more likely to enjoy the resort itself than in the winter.

Second, additional perks. Which, at the moment, appear to be none.

I still have really fond memories of my first visit, when I stayed off-property, in a beautiful house in Davenport. It was so relaxed and calming being there. If I could find somewhere like that for cheaper than WDW and within reasonable Uber distance it may well be a no-brainer.

In August I am also staying at UOR, and for the first time. I can easily imagine doing this again, but for the whole trip, doing day-trips to WDW from UOR, rather than the other way round as I’ve done in the past.

Totally with you on that. I looked at the prices and realised it would cost me about 1/3 of what I would spend on a 10-14 day stay at WDW in a moderate-deluxe resort just to sail off the coast of Liverpool to nowhere for 3 nights in a reduced-experience and (let’s face it) cold cruise. It was a nope from me. Setting that money aside for when we can finally get back to WDW.

5 Likes

As I approach what would be the exciting “three months to go” point of my August WDW trip, I continue to struggle with the uncertainty of not knowing if that trip will go ahead. At least right now, UK nationals are banned from even leaving our own country for holidays, though that is expected to change soon. What there is not yet any sign of changing is UK nationals being able to fly directly to the US for a vacation.

I find that uncertainty very difficult to deal with. My mind has once again started to focus on a back-up plan. With the growth of the latest COVID variant being increasingly discussed in the news, I wonder whether a trip to Paris is any more likely than one to Orlando.

So I have revisited the idea of going on one of these cruises. Since they don’t involve leaving the UK, and Disney has gone overboard (unfortunate choice of word) with the COVID protocols (vaccination, testing, etc) they’ll probably be a pretty safe thing to do.

I currently have a hold on a three-day cruise. This time from Southampton. It’s a chunk more expensive that the other ones I’d looked at, but the timing is better. As it would be replacing the Orlando trip, I’ll redirect the money for that. And I’ll balloon the trip to take advantage of attractions in the area.

If I go ahead with the booking. Still not sure if I should.

What a fun time we live in.

6 Likes

What is the cancellation policy on those cruises? It really sucks you’re in such an uncertain place with things.

30 days for a full refund, which in my case is about three weeks before the arrival date of my WDW trip. I would hope — ha! — by then that I will know if that trip is actually happening.

It really does, lol. I loathe uncertainty.

3 Likes

I really feel like the US/UK border will open soon. There are daily flights to Heathrow from my local airport so someone is flying in and out. Plus the UK is ahead of the US with vaccinations so that’s something too.

For the cruise, I say book it. Fully. I think that will make it more real and have you more invested. Then if you cancel at 30 days you’ve lost nothing and hopefully that means you’re coming to visit. Worst case you’ve researched the ship for whenever you do book a cruise bc let’s face it, that will happen at some point in the future. No lies.

4 Likes

I’m very close. There’s just one thing that gives me pause.

It seems clear to me that a three night cruise is the only reasonable option. There are three restaurants in the rotational dining system and obviously I’d want to experience each one. I feel I might get bored with four nights and, besides, the prices of those are insane.

Which brings me to my main point. In order to fit with my work schedule, and in order to allow me to cancel, if necessary, as close as possible to my WDW departure date, there’s really only one option so far as cruising dates are concerned. And I’m very clear that I want a verandah room.

Bottom line? It’s £2,400 for the cruise. That’s $3,400. For essentially two and a half days. So around a thousand pounds (around fourteen hundred dollars) a day. Wow. That’s a lot. My expectations are going to be sky high. Everyone says these cruises are amazing. They had better be.

2 Likes

I would expect you will also get a bill at the end of the cruise.

1 Like

I’ve factored that in to the figure I quoted. There’s really only tips. I won’t dine at Palo — I can’t be dealing with the stress of trying to get a reservation or the nonsense of the dress code, and I’ll get my three main restaurants. And I don’t really drink alcohol, so I’ll be fine with the free drinks. Maybe I’ll get a fancy coffee and some snacks in the theatre.

What there will be extra is what else I plan to do. Southampton is, in UK terms, a long way away. I’ll be getting there via London. I may as well make the most of it. There are a couple of theme parks that I may visit and there’s some kind of Harry Potter experience I might try, too.

2 Likes