Seeking opinions on tipping

For great service I do think this is “standard”. Your raise with inflation is that your % is based on prices that rise with inflation. I don’t see why it would be increased over time. It like great servers and average servers are both getting 20%. But this is all reletive to the average price of the meal. I would expect people to tip at a much higher percentage at a diner vs a nice steak place. Service is service no matter where you go.

4 Likes

I don’t think the percentage is rising over time the way inflation does, just that over time society has recognized the service that is being performed deserves higher compensation. It’s kind of a mess and weird that employers don’t bake it in, but it is what it is.

5 Likes

Because the servers’ base hourly pay is abysmal and hasn’t kept up with inflation.

6 Likes

This is a key problem I think. It shouldn’t be legal to pay under minimum wage in any circumstance. The business did not pay the tip so it shouldn’t count. It doesn’t sound like much but it could be a couple hundred a week or more which is a big difference.

4 Likes

I think the issue is there are separate minimum wages

5 Likes

You people are funny.

1. $1,000 a day
  2. Put their kid through college
  3. Buy them a Mercedes
  4. Buy them a house
8 Likes

Well that took all day.

I am impressed by the show of restraint

7 Likes

I’ve so been waiting all day for you to comment on this thread.

8 Likes

https://twitter.com/jimstokesdesign/status/1631571416276516867

Warning
It’s Tarantino so, you know, there’s some grown-up words in there.

1 Like

Just cough in your goddamn buck like everybody else.

That is exactly how Nazi Germany started.

2 Likes

Still, not a bad tipping philosophy.

Godwin’s Law in action—and in just over 50 posts!

2 Likes

I can’t speak for all states, but for most states, it isn’t legal.

If a server doesn’t make enough from tips, when added to their hourly wage, to put them over the “normal” hourly wage, the business must still pay them the “normal” hourly wage. So, for example, if the tipped hourly wage is, say, $3/hr, and the normal minimum wage is $10…but a server works 4 hours, and only makes $10 in tips, the worker will have to be paid $40 for those 4 hours (so the business pays them $30, plus their $10 in tips), not $22 ($3 * 4 plus $10).

I do believe some states don’t have this rule, but I think most do.

4 Likes

I can say that Juju will make a higher hourly rate when she is in a different role than serving with her own section of tables (like hosting or what they call “expo” - which there means putting the final details on your plate like sauces and such)

1 Like

I have a question about tipping, actually…

So, when my mom was young, she was a waitress for a while. And even my grandmother was a waitress in a diner well into her retirement years to provide supplemental income.

Anyhow, back then, there was a “signal” that a person was not happy with their service…even if they still ultimately left a tip…that is, to leave a penny. So, for example, if you ONLY got a penny as a tip, or if you got, say, $3.01…that meant they were NOT happy with your service.

Is this still a thing? Even if you don’t get good service, but feel the need to tip…does leaving that extra penny matter any more as a way to signal your displeasure with their service?

2 Likes

I would never do something so rude as that.
If it’s poor enough to do that, one should speak with a manager.

3 Likes

I don’t think servers today would get that signal from the .01 part of the xx.01 but rather if the xx is far below what was expected.

3 Likes

Agreed. If service or food is just abysmally terrible, I’m using that to Karen my way to a free to-go meal of a different dish or a reduction of the bill or something rather than hurting the server. Have only had that happen once or twice in my life.

This could result in them getting fired, which isn’t necessarily what one would want. Rather, it was a way to let them know you were displeased with the service. At least as far as my mother expressed, it was “worse” getting the penny than getting nothing, because with nothing you could assume it was because they just forgot to leave a tip. But the penny made it very clear that the customer expected more from them.

I’ve never felt the need to invoke such a policy…but I was wondering if it was still a thing. There is a lot of pressure these days to “tip no matter what”, so there seems not to be a good way to let a server know what you felt of their service. Even tipping a small amount might just come across as you are cheap, rather than trying to make a point.

3 Likes