Security Bag check questions

I did a quick search and didn’t find anything.
Does anyone know of the tiny foldable scissors or tiny tweezers set off the scanners?
My DH is the “always prepare for the worst” type. His bag is pretty packed. I’m trying to convince him to lighten the load. He’s worried we will need to cut mole skin or tweezers.
I’m prepared for the battery chargers and water bottles to be in a big zip bag to hold out in front of us. I’m wondering if the scissors/tweezers should be tossed in there or if those get confiscated.

I haven’t been since the new scanners were installed, but I always traveled with a pair of kids safety scissors and moleskin in my first aid kit and never had an issue before.

1 Like

I don’t think we had them in the bag at WDW security check, but we did have safety scissors going through security at UOR. They did stop us and pull them out, but when they saw what they were we were allowed to keep them. Thankfully, since we needed to cut more moleskin in the days ahead! WDW security is much smoother than UOR.

1 Like

Maybe there is more info on the manufacturer’s website? Here is a quote:

"Unlike traditional metal detectors, Evolv Express is powered by the Evolv Cortex AI™ software platform which enables the system to spot threats while ignoring harmless personal items. When a potential threat is detected, real-time image-aided alarms show guards precisely where the potential threat is on a person or in their bag.

It keeps high volume entrances flowing by reliably detecting guns and other weapons as visitors walk through at a natural pace, carrying their phones, bags and other harmless personal items."

https://evolvtechnology.com/evolv-express/

1 Like

I’ve taken tiny scissors into WDW before and never had a problem. I don’t think that has changed but I’m not sure.

1 Like

Same.

2 Likes

I took nail clippers into the parks in March and it was never an issue. I have awful crumbly nails and I hate going all day with a sharp broken edge.

2 Likes

I never thought of those. I have the same issue.

I can literally bust a nail off just reaching for a doorknob and tapping it with my nail. I take vitamins and biotin but it’s a side effect of my thyroid disease. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Why didn’t I know this… it explains SO much. :unamused::upside_down_face:

1 Like

I think you’ll be able to take them in no problem, but I’d throw them in the ziploc bag so you don’t have to worry about being slowed down.

1 Like

Ok, I’m totally out of touch on this topic. I read this, but is there a better write up somewhere?

Basically we walk through the scanners with our bags and they pull us out if we set them off?

So anything we think might set them off, have one person carry just those in a clear bag to expedite the examination process?

Is there a list of those items somewhere?

When we were there in March, we used the new scanners and never got pulled over for an extra search. We had water bottles, a battery charger, a first aid kit (with tweezers but not scissors, I think).
I didn’t see them pulling that many folks for an additional search. Strollers, maybe. It’s funny, security was so much less of a thing on this trip than in the past. Those new scanners make it go so so fast!

3 Likes

If you have an umbrella or a metal water bottle, like a hydroflask, those will set off the sensors. Just pull those out of your bag and hold out in front of you while you walk through the sensors. Those seem to be the main items that will set them off. If they can see it in your hand they don’t need to examine it more closely. Also, you’ll learn the first day if something else is setting it off and know to pull out for future days.

4 Likes

Screening is WONDERFUL now!

Just walk on through.

That’s it.

If you get a “beep” you do have to unpack your ENTIRE bag (ask me how I know), but that only happened to me twice - on the same day (though I never figured out what was setting it off as my contents did not vary)

2 Likes

I never pulled anything out of my bag. I had chargers and all kinds of stuff (and yes, a first aid kit with scissors for my moleskin if I needed it) and it was all good

2 Likes

Sunscreen in metal bottles also sets it off.
They specifically said “if you have sunscreen take it out” and it didn’t even dawn on me that I had a metal bottle of susncreen in my bag. I carry a clear backpack though so when I set off the screener they were like - “no problem, I can see the sunscreen in your bag so you’re good to go” and didn’t force me to unpack everything.

4 Likes

When we went last August, one of the security people was on a microphone telling folks to pull out umbrellas, which we did. Still set off the sensors. Took a few more days to figure out it was our water bottles. Once we started pulling those out too, no issues at all.

3 Likes

How does this work with strollers? If we pull out the umbrellas, metal water bottles and sunscreen, then we can just push the stroller through?

Strollers go through a different screening just adjacent to the walk-thru screening

2 Likes