RotR Watch: COVID Edition!

That’s great to hear. We had heard that the Skyliner from Pop wasn’t running until 30 minutes before park opening (meaning 9:30). Glad to hear it was running starting at 9:00 instead.

Any update?!

Right after I posted my last post, the ride went back online and we made it all the way through! They did announce the 1pm boarding group was about to open so hopefully smooth sailing for future groups today.
Did MF, 25 min wait. Since we are a party of 2 we both got pilots and autopilot was used for the other positions. No walking around the chess room and no Hondo in the pre-show, you just keep walking.

3 Likes

Removing photo to avoid spoilers

1 Like

So why the heck is this ride STILL going down with more regularity than my grandpa on Metamucil? The argument of “wifi interference” should have been greatly reduced, right?

It’s not like this ride is employing technology that has never been tested before, it’s just more unique in its way of deploying all of it. So what the heck is the problem?

1 Like

This is the great mystery. I just don’t see why this thing isn’t more stable.

I know that during the shutdown, employees couldn’t have necessarily been able to access the site to work on this…but since opening back up, there have been a couple months of opportunity. :confused:

2 Likes

I just don’t get it, it uses the same overall tech as the Phantom Manor and Ratatouille, yet those aren’t going down every few hours.

Cause the cars are where the failures are, right? At least that’s what it seemed like when the ride went down the one time I was on it. They weren’t able to launch the cars. The rest is just timed lighting and projection movies.

1 Like

Being unable to launch cars may not actually be about the cars themselves. Any ride with multiple units that move freely, but especially one where precise timing is so important, relies on sensors to track where each unit is, both in time and space for the timing things and also in relation to where other units are to prevent crashing. At the most basic level each segment of the ride is a block, and the ride controls depend on the sensors to tell them when a unit has entered and exited a block. For a ride like this, where different effects happen based on the exact position of the unit in the block, there are even more sensors within each block that control the effects.

On this ride I can’t even imagine how many sensors there are overall, and there must be at least a few different systems of sensors that all must work together. If you have a physical sensor error (i.e. a fat spider parks itself right in the middle of a sensor, so it always reads occupied or maybe the alignment of the static sensors and the unit sensors gets out of whack) that can lead to a cascade of errors where the various systems are confused and it can take awhile to get it sorted. Then there’s computer system glitches… the more complex the network of systems, the more potential for these glitches and no doubt RotR is a pretty complex ride.

1 Like

I have a trip coming up in November (so who knows what things will look like by then) but was wondering- should I just wait until my next Disney trip in a few years to ride RoTR for the first time? No spoilers please but is it still worth it with pre shows not running, etc?

1 Like

I’m sure others probably will say otherwise, but I personally found the pre-show elements more memorable than most of the ride, so unless it’s your whole reason for going then I’d say wait. It looks like waits are still pretty long there, while waits for other things are short so your time might be better spent elsewhere if you can wait.

3 Likes

But all the CMs were on furlough so, opportunity or not, there was nothing happening on site.

Can you explain without spoilers how much of the pre-shows are cut? Is it like HM where you’re walking through, or is it just modified? Is the transport simulator still running?

Today’s data:

Go ahead and follow Thrill Data on Twitter and you’ll save yourself some time. Here is the BG pattern. Note a few hiccups:

1 Like

Spoiler alert so don’t click below if you don’t want to know, but for those who want to see what RotR pre-show and queue is like under current conditions

1 Like

When we rode this morning. All pre-shows were in tact. The only difference is 1)fewer people in each and 2) a CM assigns you where to stand vs everyone standing wherever. If you get on number 4 or 6, those had the best vantage points throughout all pre-shows

4 Likes

From what I read on the attachment above, it looks like all the pre-shows are available. You will have designated…dots to stand on at each location, but it appears that the elements are all still running.

I have not been in the last day or two, but from what I recall back in January, it looks like the whole story still takes place.

1 Like

I think I’d risk going now if I could! That sounds close enough to me.

1 Like

if you are keeping any sort of stats, it took us 90 min from the time we got in line after our BG was called til the end of the ride (including all broken down time). They did make an announcement for the 1pm BG but not the 4pm. We will be back Sunday for another round!

4 Likes

Thanks so much. Watching your posts. Have you been to the other parks since you were there for PH Preview? How do the crowds compare now between parks?

1 Like

We did epcot on 16th, pretty empty. HS yesterday, definitely crowded, especially at park open.

2 Likes