Room Security Check

Has anyone experienced a room security check when staying at a Disney resort? I will be staying at Coronado and people are saying some of the CMs insist on coming in the room even when people are napping. Is this the case even if you don’t opt out of housekeeping? It just seems odd to me because this wouldn’t fly in a “normal” hotel so why is Disney being so invasive?

The rule is one staff member has to enter the room once a day. So it doesn’t matter if it is Mousekeeping, maintenance, security etc… the requirement has to be fulfilled. Disney has not commented on the specifics behind the reason other than general security concern. Most have theorized and probably rightfully so this became a policy after the shooting in Las Vegas where his hotel room was used as a staging area for multiple days prior to the incident.

5 Likes

Yes - had this happen to us when we were there in Jan.
I don’t think that this is only a policy in Disney now, if you opt out of housekeeping someone still checks the room. I haven’t been anywhere recently where I opted out of housekeeping :slight_smile:

1 Like

When I bought DVC they made a point of telling me someone would be in the room daily and it was implemented in response to the Las Vegas shooting.

3 Likes

We stayed at All Star Sports last month and opted out of Mouse keeping. This did not stop them on the days that we left the room with the room occupied sign on the door nothing but the days it was not on the door they cleaned the room. New towels and sheets and we were not charged and I received my $50 gift card.

1 Like

This is already happening at many, if not most, hotels - they are just not as up front about it as Disney is.

6 Likes

Thanks for the responses! I guess it’s not a big deal. But I do like my Disney naps so hopefully they don’t wake me up! :wink:

1 Like

If you keep housekeeping then that suffices. It is if you forego housekeeping in favor of the gift card that the inspection will happen. And yes, from reports I have read, using the room occupied sign in the middle of the day seems to trigger it to happen then.

1 Like

I was in the hotel business circa 2000 and we had regular checks. They weren’t daily, but usually every three days. We also didn’t publicize it.

It’s definitely needed. People do crazy things in hotel rooms. I’m glad they are being clear about the policy and have reacted to recent events.

I would think they’d be able to check at times you aren’t napping. Just make sure you put your do not disturb out.

1 Like

They don’t have them anymore just room occupied and make up room.

2 Likes

Wow. That surprises me. I can see that would be problematic. I think I might make my own if I had a child napping. Lol

1 Like

We don’t have kids, but used this sign frequently. We never had any issues, Mousekeeping always made up our room when we were out at the parks, or after we left in the early evening due to a mid-afternoon break (we may not have kids but I get very cranky without a mid-day nap haha)

2 Likes

Hmm. How does this affect other…shall we say…adult activities? I’m thinking couples on honeymoon, anniversaries, etc? In such intimate moments, there is no justification for them to come into the room.

I understand the need for safety, but there are definitely lines potentially being crossed here.

2 Likes

Use the deadlock…? We always do when we’re in the room, even if we’re just hanging out.

4 Likes

Ah. If there is such a lock, then it completely undermines the point of the security check. Anyone who is up to no good would simply keep it deadbolted

3 Likes

They can open the deadbolt. It would certainly slow them down enough for you to cover up though.

1 Like

Hotel staff can still gain access to the room if they absolutely need to, using a E-key or equivalent. I suspect they would do this if you refused to let them in for a certain period of time.

1 Like

Hmm. I find this terribly disturbing the more I think about it.

How does this security check actually play out? Is there a certain time of day that they do it so that you can know? What if I’m in the shower when they come and I don’t hear the knock? Will they come in anyhow?

As mentioned, the sleeping child (not to mention adults!) would be a common scenario as well.

1 Like

There were tons of threads on chat when this policy started and people were very worried about it. Most haven’t had an issue. But yes, if they knock a few times and you don’t answer they will come in.

2 Likes

And again, if you keep housekeeping and don’t take the gift card, that covers you. If afternoon naps or adult activities are that important, keep housekeeping. Easy peasy.

3 Likes