Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group Data

Another test: I don’t know if this is doable, but has it been proven you can tap in, leave park, tap into another park, then get a BG? I’ve read Liners who tap in and leave, but do not tap into another park before getting BG at WDW. Yet the DL people say they go to the other section of DL and it works for them.

2 Likes

There was a chat started by IvegotaDream, on Friday at I think 7 AM and they tapped in HS, left… got a warning from a CM not to leave or won’t get a BG. Left anyway, was going to Garden Grill ADR, then got a BBG. Quote from chat, “Got BBG 96. It was glitchy but we got it! 96”. I’m not sure if they had tapped into the other park, I don’t think so. UPDATE: they waited to get BG before tapping into Epcot.

1 Like

I’m sure this answer or thread exists somewhere but I haven’t found it yet: given how challenging it is to get on Resistance, is there any thread of article about whether visiting DL or WDW is better? Is it easier to get on or is the ride operating more reliably on either coast? We’re in Colorado, so right in between and looking at summer vacation plans.

@poohfanclub This is the consistent behavior that I had witnessed. If I tapped at 8AM exactly, the boarding group was still not available. My process was to then hit “My Status” and I would get the boarding group button there. It’s safer IMHO to do it that way in case you DO get that first button if it’s there. I do think Disney does not enable until 8:00:01-8:00:02 timeframe. A second matters. As I recounted last Monday. We got BG 7 using this process. The people in front of me got 73 and we were a couple seconds apart.

2 Likes

When you say “tapped” at exactly 8, does that mean opening the app at 8 or hitting find out more at 8? Or something else?

I have been able to do ROTR three times now… once back in January and twice this past week. I made a screencap video of my most recent attempt so that you guys can see how fast it happens…

Note the second hand on the clock app next to the MDE app… you can see where I jumped the gun a little launching the app 11 seconds before 8am, which had consequences as the “Join Boarding Group” button was not highlighted because the app loaded maybe 3 seconds too early. I went back and forth several times… noticing that the back and forth actions were so quick, that I don’t think it was actually pinging the server… so I decided to go the “My Status” route, and was still able to get into a low boarding group, 18.

The day before, I launched the app right at 7 seconds before 8am, the orange “Join Boarding Group” button was there immediately, and I was able to get group 9.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. I should add that people-watching this week, I can say that I think all of you here are far better prepared than the majority!

EDIT: also note that my Ring cam had a notification pop up during all this. Might be worth turning off Notifications while you’re doing this!

15 Likes

I’d love to say no, but that’s not the case. I’ve so far had 2 “nightmares” about this. They weren’t scary dreams by any means but I’m clearly stressing about this even when I don’t realize it. Who knew an attraction could have this much hold over so many people! :grimacing:

2 Likes

I don’t know of any thread about this, but from someone who has ridden it on both coasts, and follows chat on both coasts every day…your chances are much better of riding at DL. It is also seemed easier to get a BG there in my opinion (have done it 2x in WDW, 3x in DL). Operating hours are longer at DL (for some reason HS in open about 12 hours each day right now while DL is open 15-16 each day). There seems to be much less downtime at DL as well. Not sure what has happened at HS, it had better performance there before it opened in DL. Since late January when it opened in DL, many issues in WDW. If your primary reason for a trip is to see GE and ride both rides easily, go to DL. Plus it is closer to Colorado and the weather is better in DL in the summer.

3 Likes

Someone please tell me if my approach is wrong here…I am signing out of the app and back in around 7:55. I also tap the “Find out more” button before 8:00, so that I am sitting on the “My Status” screen. Then, when the clock hits 8:00, I tap “My Status” and it takes me to the next screen. (I do not wait for the “Join a Boarding Group” button to turn orange.) On that screen “Join a Boarding Group” is usually highlighted in the blue box. (If not, I hit the back button and try again). It allows me to join and takes me to the next screen where I select my party. I tap “Select All” and the next screen I get is the “Not so Fast” screen. So, I’m good at that point as long as the rest of my party is recognized as being in the park, right? This seems to work for me (at home at least)…

1 Like

Hi Steve, since you asked :slightly_smiling_face:… I would like to know where is the best place to position yourself at HS to grab a boarding group so that you have minimal interference/problems with the app? Secondly, do you believe it is better to use Verizon data or WiFi? Thanks so much for all you are doing to help us with this attraction!

2 Likes

What you described is the best practice procedure.

1 Like

YES! My upcoming April trip is a celebration of my lifelong SW-loving son’s 20th birthday. It’s the first time he and I are taking a trip together (his sister has traveled with me to DC and Vegas) and his choice was WDW to experience SWGE. I’m just trying to assume that everything is going to work out, but it will be damn disappointing if it doesn’t. I have built in 2 extra days we can try again if we fail the first day (but I really don’t want to have to deal with it more than once!) He’s such a great kid and I know just experiencing SWGE will be awesome for him, but I want him to get the WHOLE experience!

2 Likes

Ask and ye shall receive.

Here are a few charts that compare WDW’s RotR to Disneyland’s RotR from Thrill Data. A caveat that there is no guarantee that this data is comparable because WDW and DLR could be issuing different size BGs. Also keep in mind that WDW has two full months of data while Disneyland has just one month.

First up is groups processed per hour (which adjusts for # of operating hours). WDW was doing pretty good there for January with an average close to 12 BGph, but recently in February that figure has dropped closer to 6. It’s been a rough few days. At Disneyland, meanwhile, BGph started around 8 and despite a few rough days, has been generaly improving over time and has hit 12 once. Summary: WDW has had better operations in the past, but Disneyland has better operations recently.
WDW:

Disneyland:

Next up is % downtime. For both parks, average downtime is hovering around 20%, but at WDW there appears to be a lot more volatility. It’s feast or famine at WDW. This inversely correlates with the processing rate charts above.
WDW:

Disneyland:

Lastly is the Max Group Averages. Here is where Disneyland shines thanks to those extra operating hours @Wahoohokie mentioned. WDW was doing really well during the holidays but has decreased into February. Part of that is due to decreased hours but part is also due to increased downtime noted in the charts above. Disneyland, on the other hand, has been improving steadily since it first opened, with the exception of 2/13 which had a special ticketed event in the evening, so the ride closed early.

WDW:

Disneyland:

In conclusion, WDW has shown promise in the past and hopefully the recent issues will be resolved and the ride will return to form. In the meantime, Disneyland has continually improved over time and has the ace in the hole of longer operating hours, so I would go to DLR if your sole intention is to ride RotR. Check your specific dates to make sure you are not attending on the date of a ticketed event or short operating hours.

Good luck!

4 Likes

I had each of my party logged into my credentials. Not different accounts. I worked for us without any issues. I trusted that more than the other way. We got BG 25 last week.

1 Like

@poohfanclub Ditto!

1 Like

@Jeff_AZ Thanks for all your help. Your data and the advice on this thread gave us what we needed to be successful last week.
We got BG25. It was an amazing ride.

2 Likes

Hi All,

I am taking my 7yr old next week, Wednesday 26th… I believe 8am is start time. We are staying in Universal so would my best bet to attempt to get ROTR BG be to take an uber? Minnie Van? drive myself? and what time should I plan to leave Universal given the ride choice? TY

1 Like

Plan on taking at least 30 mins from universal property to DHS (travel time, not counting parking time or pickup/drop off time). If you want to control your own destiny, drive yourself. Otherwise, rideshare should be fine. Minnie Vans not available for non-Dis hotels l. Uber/Lyft probably around $25 (you can use trip estimate on Uber/Lyft website). I’ve used Lyft ride scheduler without any issues for early pickups (but it is not a reservation). To RD rides, probably want to be at least 60-75 minutes prior to opening, so you’re in for an early morning. Good luck!

2 Likes

My pleasure! :blush:

5 Likes