Revised Bag Checks

I just read an article about the opening of City Walk at Universal. They talked about wearing masks, temperature checks and security. All of these things are expected. They also mentioned bag checks. I just now gave some thought to bag checks. I don’t think I want someone going through my bag with gloves on that just went through all the other bags ahead of mine. If they are changing gloves between every bag check then I’m on board, but I don’t think that’s likely. If not, I think there needs to be a different way to check bags. Maybe a scan?

3 Likes

I think a lot of people don’t understand how gloves work. Like the person I saw serving food who handled their cellphone with the gloves on. Um…

8 Likes

Has @OBNurseNH seen your avatar??
:rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

This should be interesting!

1 Like

She didn’t copy it again, did she?

6 Likes

:thinking::laughing:

2 Likes

I have never had someone go through my bag at city walk. Just put it through the x ray machine and pick it up after. I only ever saw one person have to open her back because she had nail clippers inside.

Does Disney have people handling people’s bags?

3 Likes

Yep, they go through everything

1 Like

OMG! Look at your beautiful new face “Faceless Jason”!

I think you were once a beautiful fairy…

You have great taste!

4 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the security people have always had gloves on at all of the parks at WDW when they go through your bags and don’t change them in between. I know the op was talking about City Walk but it made me think about how they do it at WDW.

I think about where those gloves have been every time I have to go through TSA security. shudder

I really have to will myself not to think about it. But with this virus, I don’t see how it’s possible. Blech!

2 Likes

I think they need to switch to metal detectors only. With crowd sizes reduced, the risk of collateral damage from a terrorist or mass shooting are also reduced. The amount of security at parks has been excessive, in my opinion. I understand why they do it, but in the vast majority of cases its unnecessary and just makes people feel better. A metal detector would identify a gun, knife, or bomb, plus it would act as a psychological deterrent to would-be criminals. That should be sufficient.

Honestly the health checks are probably excessive too, but in this environment it would be better to focus on measures that focus on the risks guests are focused on - and that means not touching everyone’s belongings.

4 Likes

The only item I have ever witnessed being found has been alcohol. I think they want to find that too.

2 Likes

Maybe metal detectors would catch or deter that? Not sure. Seems like the scanners at airports can see just about anything.

1 Like

I think they were little plastic bottles (I am sure it would have saved a lot of money in Epcot).

3 Likes

@ryan1 could probably carry a gallon of liquor in his cargo shorts pockets in plastic bottles.

3 Likes

I just put the alcohol in my to-go coffee cup. They pay no attention to those!

6 Likes

I know they can see glass beer bottles. My dad had been stationed in Germany and he loved the local beer. I once brought 12 home for him in my carry-on. I checked my bag into a storage place at the London airport. I’d had the beer nestled in the middle of my luggage, and I was very worried about the beer breaking so I was telling the guy to be careful because i had “some breakables” in there. The buy x-rayed it and said, :“Yeah, beer”.

You are like a super hero! You are constantly shape shifting these days!

2 Likes

Just saw this article on topic:

Here are some new recommended guidelines by an industry group:

Security Checkpoints

• Post signs at entrances notifying visitors of risks associated with gathering in public spaces.
  • Reduce the number of personal items visitors can bring into the park. Require all items fit into a clear plastic bag for touchless inspections.
  • Establish guidelines to deal with visitors who refuse to wear protective masks or want to wear ineffective or offensive face coverings.

And this is interesting:

Not Recommended Procedures

• Temperature checks are not recommended due to the inconsistent nature of readings, particularly in outdoor environments. Visitors with COVID-19 could be asymptomatic and have a normal body temperature. Some government agencies may nonetheless require temperature checks.
  • Protective gloves are not recommended due to their ability to spread germs and the false sense of security they create. Frequent hand washing is preferable.
5 Likes