Resort Parking Fee

Yes I know that now, I was reporting what was said in chat. I told her I thought it was wrong but the TA said that’s what Disney put in their notification.

This was about 1 minute before Disney updated their site and made it official so I had to go off what the TA said.

2 Likes

Ok this is all over chat. I made sure to check in here. Yes it is official. I just booked a room and confirmed through the help chat that as long as your reservation is booked by 3/21 you will not pay any parking fee.

II think the website and phones will get busy now. I did book my room. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I genuinely do not understand why Disney doesn’t care about my business anymore. I’m obviously not part of any cohort they’re trying to attract. I wish they would just come right out and tell me they want to break up instead of trying to get me to go away on my own.

And are the parking lots at the deluxe resorts really that much nicer than those at the value and moderates?

4 Likes

Disney reminds me of Apple.

Before I became obsessed with Disney, I was obsessed with Apple. Both seem to inspire insane levels of loyalty.

And both seem to have the same business model — crank up the prices because people will pay them.

Apple has made huge increases in the price of their products — especially recently. Technology usually gets cheaper with time. My first flat screen TV was £1,350. The equivalent today would cost a third of that. But iPhones just keep going up and up and up. We call it the “Apple tax”.

It seems like Disney operates on the same model. Except they’ve found an additional angle: as well as putting prices up, they trim quality. So last year when I bought the HBD Fantasmic Dining Package it was three courses; now it’s only two.

What’s frustrating is: we all bitch about it, then we pay up. I’m still slightly astonished that I’m paying over £500 for a single night at the Contemporary. That’s far in excess of what I’ve ever paid for a hotel room anywhere in the world. As I remarked on another thread (to zero interest, ahem) on my birthday this year I’m staying in the most expensive suite in my favourite hotel — huge panoramic sea views, massive private outdoor roof terrace with hot-tub, etc, etc. It costs half that of the Contemporary — and that includes breakfast and three course dinner.

Disney are geniuses at finding ways to make sure they take every last dollar you have.

But then Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge doesn’t look cheap to build. (But how I’m going to laugh when they announce the hotel pricing. I remember when Apple announced the Apple Watch. I fell in love with the gold one and said to myself “I don’t care if it costs a thousand pounds — I’m getting one”. It didn’t costs a thousand. The cheapest was about thirteen thousand. Oh, and I didn’t get one. Well, not a gold one.)

8 Likes

No, but I think that they are comparatively smaller.

Not this time.

2 Likes

But so are those resorts.

Hence the qualifier “comparatively”: I think there are fewer parking spaces per room at the higher end hotels.

1 Like

Yes, it’s real. TA’s just got “official” word from Disney today. Self-Overnight Parking: Value-$13, Moderate-$19, Deluxe-$24.

Oh I don’t think so.

Honestly, I’m guessing. You may well be right - I have no inside info. My comments are all “gut feeling”.

They are much less convenient, according to those in the know.

At Pop I parked literally at the bottom of my staircase. Could not have been better.

At AKL it would be a bit of a hike no matter where I parked.

1 Like

Disney should provide an “off-site” parking for resort guests that is free which allows guests to then take a bus or other transportation. This will free up their premium parking spots for more important people.

2 Likes

We were in building 4 at POFQ directly facing the car park, also incredibly convenient. But I don’t know anything about deluxes.

(Hopefully the tongue-in-cheek tone of that was not lost…but just in case, I am clarifying.)

1 Like

Hold onto your butts, folks, because next will be a fee for DME. That way they can capture income from ALL onsite guests.

Rent a car? You pay me to keep it onsite.

Don’t rent a car? You pay me to transfer you.

I’m betting when it comes down it will be about $50/guest so as to be the rough equivalent of keeping a car at a deluxe for a week for a family of 4

4 Likes

Yeah. I’m really worried about the precedent this one is setting. I don’t care if Disney wants to provide up-charge experiences. But to charge people already an arm and a leg just to GET onto property is highway robbery.

4 Likes

Suddenly, a song comes to mind.

“Charge 'em for the lice, extra for the mice
Two percent for looking in the mirror twice
Here a little slice, there a little cut
Three percent for sleeping with the window shut”

I may have to, henceforth, refer to Disney as “The Thenardiers”.

11 Likes

If they’re less convenient than Boardwalk Inn self-parking then I hope they have a tram to take guests to the hotel.