Resort Parking Fee

I agree… but even the budget minded folks staying at an AS resort are, arguably paying more for their hotel than equivalent accommodations outside of the world. SO, those folks probably are placing a financial premium on the “bubble” experience.

But I agree with your point, I would guess that folks in value resorts may be more likely to drive - UNLESS they stay at a value resort because they refuse to drive, and are already incurring the cost of flying. (See what I did there).

Point is, thanks for bringing up this mini-topic. It was super fun for me to think about.

I think a fair number of people from way up here make the drive. Airfare is outrageous, and for bigger families especially, it is a major obstacle to any vacations including WDW. If it can be driven, no matter the distance, people will drive it.

I also agree that the majority of the plates I see in the resort lots do not seem to be rental plates. People are driving!

Interesting questions. I would say that a minority of U.K. guests stay onsite because we tend to come for a longer time and visit a lot more places than just Disney.

With regards to MDE, there is now speculation on FB and chat that this will be the next charge Disney make. Apparently you used to have to pay for it, but I’d never stayed onsite till 2016 so I don’t personally know that.

Not so fast!

It bothers me when people make these assumptions.

We fly a lot, lately, on points. Our flights are free or very low cost compared to what the airlines are charging. We seek discounted room rates so we can afford the deluxe stay. Anyone paying rack rate is, IMO, out of their cotton-picking minds.

We are middle income people, comfortable but certainly not wealthy. Every penny we spend on any vacation is of “issue” so please don’t assume that it’s not.

1 Like

Please know that this is not an official change. Totally still in the rumor mill. And again, I’ve yet to see it from a reputable site - only from third party garbage pickers.

Agreed, people are driving. No doubt. The question is are more than 50% of WDW resort guests driving. And, given the costs of driving, especially from NH, would the additional costs (say $25/night) for parking affect your decision? If you had to allocate an additional $200 for a 1 week trip to WDW for parking, would you consider flying?

IDK…

The cost will still likely be far less than flying, especially for larger families. It might equate to one airline ticket. Know that those I know from this area who drive tend to have much shorter stays due to the driving time.

That’s key. When I take solo or gathering-type trips, I fly, because the cost for flying is offset by the comparative headaches of driving and feeling rested upon arrival. But that only offsets for a single ticket.

Taking my family, I’m driving. Because the cost of 5 plane tickets is more than I’m willing to pay for the loss of an extra day on each end to drive.

2 Likes

When Disney extended the EMH hours and FPP perks to the DS hotels, those considering cheaper offsite lodging had something to think about, but everyone said “but don’t forget that onsite has no resort fees, free parking and/or free DME”. Of course they aren’t really free as the room rates are higher to account for such things but if those perks go away and room rates continue to increase, more and more people will choose to leave the bubble I would guess.

1 Like

The only reason they extended this is because their inventory is so low due to refurbs and construction. I doubt this perk will last once the resorts are all back up and running at full capacity

ahh, good point, I hadn’t thought of this. I just thought they may be trying to get people to spend more time=money at DS than other non-park locations

Also, I would add, (and shifting the topic a bit) that the true cost of driving is embedded… the IRS allows 54.5 cents per mile as the cost of driving (baking in gasoline, maintenance of the vehicle, wear and tear, and depreciation).

So, under those guidelines a 2000 mile round trip driving excursion actually costs closer to $1100. Now, I get it, its a long game scenario… you pay for new tires later, you have more frequent oil changes later, and when you trade in your old vehicle you don’t assume that you have gotten $500 or $1000 less trade in value due to the mileage of your vehicle, but driving definitely costs something…

Please keep in mind that I still hold to my statement. I don’t claim it to be universally true, only that it is more often going to be true. At the same time, we are middle income people who count every penny for these trips. It is why we have never stayed on site. We just couldn’t afford to do so. If we WERE to stay on site, we would have to stay at a value priced resort to even consider it.

For our upcoming 25th anniversary (in 2 1/2 years), my wife and I are spending the big bucks. But it will take us 3 years to save for this trip. That is the only way we will afford to stay at the Contemporary. A single night at the Contemporary, however, is the same price as almost a week at an off-site condo/rental home. This is our splurge.

If you can afford a stay at a a deluxe hotel at WDW, you are far richer than most of America, believe me. Compare this to a conversation I had with a lady from our church who has never been to Disney because they can’t afford tickets for four of them. The same price of a single single-day ticket at Disney can get four of them into other amusement parks.

1 Like

There’s a difference between being able to afford a discounted room at a deluxe and airfare being “no issue” to me.

I happen to drive 2 hours away from my home to get low airfares and pay primarily with points. I live 5 minutes from MHT. Planes landing there fly so low over my home that I can see the passengers’ faces in the window.

But I CANT afford to fly out of there because it’s minimum double what it costs me to fly out of PVD.

Airfare is an issue. That’s what I’m saying. I’m pushing back against the idea that because I stay deluxe when possible that the cost airfare is not of concern to me.

OK now it’s official:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/parking/

Now I will get upset.

2 Likes

Ok someone on FB is saying that she rang her TA, TA has told her that they have been officially notified by Disney that the charge will start on 21 March. Both the person and her TA are liners and use chat, not sure about the forum.

See above link. It’s real

It is time to start writing strongly worded letters to Disney, methinks.

1 Like

While my words didn’t necessarily indicate it, I didn’t mean it to infer EVERYONE who can afford a deluxe have no issue, but that those who are paying to stay at a Deluxe resort are less likely to have any issue paying to fly. My apologies for my choice of words to sound more absolute than they are. Clearly, I didn’t mean them absolutely, since my wife and I will be driving down in 2 1/2 years and staying at the Contemporary! :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, it will apply to bookings made after 21 March. :slight_smile:

1 Like