Report: Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed also EPCOT - no Mary Poppins and Festival Center “different approach”

Relaxation Station? Lots of room for social distancing.

2 Likes

No Mary Poppins, Epcot Festival Center “different approach” Spaceship Earth refurb indefinitely postponed

The design rights or the ownership? I think it is a carnival double coaster design?

Out door dining?

• I am happy Primeval Whirl is closed. Disney needs to do better than off-the-shelf carnival rides (but I’m sad for those of you who like it :slightly_smiling_face:)
  • Alien Encounter was one of the best attractions ever conceived at any park, but I agree that it was probably too scary for Disney. Stitch was too scary for kids but not scary enough for adults, so I’m happy it’s gone. They need something good in that spot.
  • Rivers of Light was a poor show, and AK is hampered by the restrictions on fireworks, so not sure there can ever be a truly great show there. But I’m sure they’ll replace it eventually (just not during the pandemic).
  • Mary Poppins has got to happen sometime. It deserves a ride - a good ride. I’m convinced that this one was going to be weak, so I’m ultimately glad they are delaying it.
  • Epcot Festival whatnot thingamajig - I have no attachment to what they’re doing in FW, but they need to do something. It would literally be better bulldozed with some trees than whatever it is right now. I’m hoping the Moana stuff makes it in.
  • Spaceship Earth needs a refurb, but I’m glad it will be open for my trip next year. Wait till they can afford to do it right.
2 Likes

Unfortunately it continues to exist on the internet. Stitch is my DD favorite character (thank you Disney+) and she was researching all things Stitch-related for our WDW trip. I had to break the news that it’s definitely closed and not coming back. We’re probably the only family for whom this is the one that’s disappointing.

3 Likes

I wish I knew, honestly! Beginning to doubt myself now because I can’t find it. :thinking::woman_shrugging:

I remember this being discussed on the Dish. I think it was covered a few times. I think spare part availability/timing was discussed a few times. Once Jim referenced a problem with a sister coaster having an unfortunate incident. I just did some searching and that incident occurred in 2001 so I’m not so sure it is related.

I’m really sad about Mary Poppins :cry:

3 Likes

There have been two incidents on an identical coaster, one fatal and one last year which I still cannot believe the boy survived. It was right after the second one that PW went down and only re-opened briefly.

The fatalities on PW itself involved 2 CMs in separate incidents whilst the ride was closed and officially I think it was blamed on CM error plus unsafe operating procedures.

Jim referenced the cars colliding fatality so I had thought it was the Tree Top Twister mechanical failure in 2001.

The episode I referenced (223) discusses the spare parts and the fatality.

1 Like

Right, but PW went down within days of last year’s incident, in which a kid somehow managed to slip out of the ride despite the safety bar being in place.

I suspect that was the final straw that caused WDW to close the ride. The expense of installing a more secure safety mechanism would have been significant if it was even possible.

I’m a bit sad about RoL only because…well…we’ve never seen it, and it was on our list of To-Dos for our December trip. In fact, our December trip is really supposed to be about doing the things at Disney that we’ve never done before. RoL was one of them. Another was going to be watching the Fireworks from a Dessert party as well as our Theme Park view room. Those are now gone. :confused:

I understand why Disney is doing it. Still sad about it though!

6 Likes

Thank you, that all makes complete sense as I remember cold water being thrown on the parts issue. I will go back and listen to 223 again @PrincipalTinker, I would like to clear up my hazy memory.

They had height requirements for an attraction that didn’t even move. And you had seatbelts as well. I would say people should have known not to bring smaller kids in there, but people assume since it’s Disney it’s gotta be kid friendly. The second time I ever went on it there was a kid sitting next to me that is probably still traumatized to this day about it.

Loved that attraction though. It was among the best I’ve ever been on, along with FOP, Soarin, and maybe a 1 or 2 others. Easily the best in MK though.

3 Likes

It is an awkward space to work with. I’m thinking they need to gut the circular theater entirely…but what could they fit in there that is related to Tomorrowland, yet still accommodate crowds? Perhaps something Soarin’ like, but space themed? Shrug

1 Like

There were rumors a couple years back that Spaceship Earth was going to get something MAJOR (wild speculation included putting a roller coaster in there…but that just doesn’t seem feasible, and I think perhaps was confused with GotG.) But I really wasn’t excited about the refurb they were planning. It just seemed like an overlay, to me.

2 Likes

You’re not the only ones…although the ride was not the draw, simply Stitch. My kids always love seeing Stitch, and he is one of the more fun interactions when you do get to meet him. It sounds like the “live action” Stitch movie is still in the works also, so there definitely must still be a pretty good following out there.

I will not miss Rivers of Light, and it would have been a one and done for us had it continued. I was disappointed by the distorted projections and sluggish timing. The bar for these shows is/was set high with HEA, Illuminations, Fantasmic, etc. I am excited to see what they do to replace it and see a lot of potential with the setting. Admittedly, this is a challenge at AK without fireworks and keeping the theme consistent with animals/nature without getting too distracted by the tech needed to make great visuals, especially at night. I have faith Disney will learn from what didn’t quite work well with ROL and come up with something on par with the other parks’ big shows (whenever those are back on).

1 Like