Report: Primeval Whirl, Stitch's Great Escape and Rivers of Light permanently closed also EPCOT - no Mary Poppins and Festival Center “different approach”

Stitch is old news, Primeval Whirl was anticipated, but Rivers of Light I figured still a couple of years of life left

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/primeval-whirl/news/16jul2020-primeval-whirl-stitchs-great-escape-and-rivers-of-light-permanently-closed.htm

1 Like

My son just texted that to me with the message “I am sad about exactly one of these but I am very sad about that one”.

After reading another thread on here today about rides at HS, why not move and re-theme Primeval Whirl, maybe Toy Story Land. It would fit better there than AK

Or is two roller coasters too much?

2 Likes

We’ve taken one trip to WDW and that was in January 2012. My daughters were 9 and almost 12 at the time. We spent 1-1/2 days at AK and headed right to Dino land to ride Primeval Whirl (while my DB went to get FP’s for EE) both days after rope dropping. One day we probably rode three times without getting off. It was not my favorite ride, but I have such fond memories of how much my girls liked it. Especially my younger one who would not try the bigger coasters but loved this little one. RIP Primeval Whirl!

2 Likes

Wait. Which ride is your son sad about?

We loved the primeval whirl, even if it was campy.

3 Likes

I am the primevil fan! I just assumed he means RoL.

4 Likes

It was my teenaged daughter’s favorite ride. I would ride once with her then let her ride it a second time by herself.

1 Like

They don’t own Primeval Whirl, it’s leased. And the ride system is beset with problems, which Disney probably just don’t want to deal with any more.

3 Likes

Guess I’ll never get to see ROL. A little sad about that, but I hope they eventually replace it with something better.

2 Likes

No more Primeval Whirl. :astonished: :cry: :pensive:

1 Like

Didn’t know this.

CA Adventure has a very similar ride, which used to be called Mulholland Madness. I think it’s called Goofy’s Sky school now. DH and I hated being jerked around. The kids loved it.

Fast forward to 2019 after both kids have learned to drive. Now they hate it, too! It didn’t dawn on us that PW was the same ride until we got on it in December.

I thought it was a “canned” coaster purchased by Disney when they opened AK? I thought Len and Jim Hill spoke talked about the company that originally made it is now out of business so replacement parts are an issue?

3 Likes

The company isn’t out of business. They filed for bankruptcy but I think are still operating. I know there was a lot of discussion about it after the incident a year or so ago in England.

1 Like

Yes, Goofy’s Sky School! I don’t really like this ride either, but it is very popular with the younger set. I rode it a couple of years ago with my grand-nephew who was 4 at the time. I read all the signs to him as we rode. I’d never read them before! But they really did add to the ride. Still it’s a skip for me unless the line is short and we don’t have anything better to do. It is is very similar to Primeval Whirl but half the size. I wonder if it came from the same company.

1 Like

Oh no! We absolutely LOVED RoL! I’m sad.

2 Likes

I just listened to the episode again (223). Yes, he said they filed in 2008 (?) but they can’t get the parts from them.

Where did you find a reference to it being leased? I can find purchased and ordered but I am still looking. Do you have a link? That is fascinating to me!

1 Like

DD22 and I loved Primeval Whirl so are sad, but we knew it was coming. RoL was never a top thing for us, but we liked it to close the AK day, I’m sad it is going so soon. What are they going to do with all those seats?!

1 Like

In our hypothetical trip to WDW to do all the things that are “different” from DLR, RoL was definitely on the list. So I’m sad we’ll never get to experience it either. Although perhaps someday they will introduce something similar but better.

According to Wikipedia, Primeval Whirl was built by Reverchon Industries, a French amusement park ride builder. They went completely bankrupt in 2008. Zamperla, an Italian ride builder took control of the rights of coasters like Primeval Whirl.