Renting Points safely

Curious if anyone has rented points directly with renter and if they use a contract? My neighbor mentioned the possibility of having extra points that they can’t use. We usually rent through Davids, but might be a better option, if it can be done safely.

I have rented points directly from a lady who others here have used (she isn’t part of these forums, but people from these forums have rented from her). She was recommended to me by a fellow liner. Anyhow, the lady used a contract. The whole thing went pretty smoothly. We wanted to rent at Boardwalk, and she had points there, so it was a good fit.

I think the trick is making sure you have some level of trust there. While I didn’t know this lady personally, since others had dealt with her to the point of recommending her, I felt pretty good about…especially with the contract.

I should note that this lady did NOT rent her points at any discount compared to using David’s, etc…but the convenience of knowing she could book what we wanted at 11 months was a nice advantage.

3 Likes

Thank you. Good point about owning the right resort. Think they own beach club and we are hoping for grand Floridian so likely wouldn’t work out anyway. Was also thinking neighbor could make a bit more and I could pay a little less.

I have rented a couple of times from the same woman as @ryan1. A formal contract and half payment might help?

Also, once you have a reservation linked and it is less than 30 days you should know you are safe!

Finally, there usually are no changes or cancellations in these rentals.

Less than 7 months, if the new inventory helps, could work at GFV.

2 Likes

oh yeah, this is April 2023, so hopefully that means all those units are available , and no construction in sight

If it’s neighbor I would hope you’d be fine - you know where they live.

Since the new borrowing rules went into effect I rented points off of a Facebook group- it was under the 31 day mark- and I took a risk - that said it was a small risk for 2 nights in a studio…had things gone to shit we would have skipped lunch at space 220 and stayed at the B.

I am not a fan of renting points, as the owner retains complete control of the reservation -I think most Liners get this and it’s IMO a huge deal…I also dislike it from the owner perspective. Twice I have tried 2 rent out confirmed stays that were booked but our plans got side railed. The people that responded were expecting travel agent type services- (ADR,FASTPASS ect)

Understand it’s a BIG risk- even using David’s ect…during the shutdown it was a mess for many owners and renters with impacted reservations.

DVC specifically says that a member renting out points must use a contract.

I agree with others who have suggested this is to cover themselves should something goes wrong. DVC will not get involved at all, and I guess insisting on a contract emphasises that point.

So if anyone offers to rent you points without using a contract I would decline.

2 Likes

I would also be careful about the mixing business with friendship/neighbors. Could be messy if things went sideways.

4 Likes

So my wife just mentioned having interest in BW, since its so close to Epcot and HS. Zero pressure, but would you be comfortable sharing her contact information? Is there a private message feature on touring plans where that information would not be for all eyes?

Sure. I’ll PM you.

That owner also owns at GFV, BLT, and Kidani.

2 Likes

A quick question about renting points from the owner’s perspective. I have points I would like to give to a friend (no renting, no contract, I understand the risks…etc). In order to do that, do I book the reservation under my name and add them as additional adults/kids to the reservation? Or Do I make the reservation all within their name and I stay off the reservation entirely?

Make the reservation in their name. Then give them the reservation number to link in their MDE account.

2 Likes

Has anyone had any good or bad experiences renting points off of some of the other forums? We just closed on a new resale contract (yay! More points), but there are banked points that are going to expire 7/31/22. One of the rental sites said we should rent a confirmed reservation instead, but that seems like it would be pretty limiting if someone didn’t want that particular day/days.

1 Like

The Disboards has a very robust system for renting points. In fact, you may not even have time to rent through them since you have to jump through some hoops. If you choose to go this route, read the below thread in its entirety.

The other option is you could create a new thread on this board and just say you have X points to rent at Y resort and see if you get any DMs. TP Forum takes zero responsibility or precautions to protect DVC owners or renters, so it would all be up to you, but if it’s a member of the forum you have interacted with and trust, you might feel comfortable moving forward.

1 Like

Thank you, I will look over that thread - it seems to have A LOT of information and definitely some hoops to go through.
I definitely wouldn’t have a problem renting to someone here…even though I don’t “know” anyone, I feel like I “know” a lot of people here and that the community is just overall better than most of the other forums (sorry, not sorry). But, I also didn’t want to turn it into a personal rental thread because I know there are other sites dedicated exclusively to that. That being said though, if anyone was looking for availability for DVC points in June/July let me know…not trying to make a lot, maybe just to cover the cost of our MNSSHP tickets for October that I bought before telling my husband because they are “ridiculously priced” according to him…oops.

2 Likes

I think you are being advised to book something now, if your points are loaded, since there will be very limited availability. Last minute confirmed reservations will rent for less points.

Your other options would be to book something (if you can) and give the night(s) away. Or you can just let the pints expire?

2 Likes

Personally I would just try to go through David’s or DVC Rental store at this point. They are pretty good at renting things out last minute, and they are probably right that dedicated reservations are the way to go given the limited availability. You will at least get something for your points eventually, even if you have to drop the price.

2 Likes

Yes, I thought about just letting them expire, but it’s a years worth of points, so it just hurts my brain to think about that. In the past when we had leftover points we couldn’t use and we donated a reservation to a silent auction to raise money for a local group, but I don’t think I’ll have time for that this time since it’s so last minute. Thanks for all the info

1 Like