Refrigerators in Resort Rooms

I remember the first time I stayed at Port Orleans, Riverside, (maybe 2003?) refrigerators were not standard in the rooms… they offered them on a limited basis to rent. I actually bought a fridge and hauled it with me to the resort because we wanted to be able to eat breakfast and some lunches in the room.

The point is, there is nothing forcing disney to offer a fridge, but if you are going to do so, make it a real fridge.

Can always just say, “refrigerators available upon request” or something similar.

2 Likes

Do people with medicine that needs to be kept in the fridge need to keep it in the kitchen?
My daughter has medicine like that and it has never been a problem to use the one in the room no matter where we’ve gone. A few places the fridge was a Maybe or they wanted you to pay like $30/day. But, I just had to say the words “Daughter’s medicine” and it becomes free and certain. Her medicine is also really expensive and has a $$$$ resale value, so I wouldn’t be comfortable using a group fridge. This is something I’ll have to be aware of for future trips anywhere.

Remember when hotels started to fiddle with the temp reading on the room thermostats and also set a min temp? Not speaking of Disney hotels but business hotels.

1 Like

I’m diabetic, so my insulin should be kept cold. But the truth is, a vial of insulin, and normal room temperatures (say, 70ish degrees) would be fine for at least 15 days. I still try to keep it cold, but the coolness of a “beverage cooler” is enough.

What is important is that it doesn’t get HOT, which speeds the deterioration process down dramatically. So, when temperatures outside are running 100+ degrees, and I have insulin in my pump for three days, I’ll notice that the insulin becomes less effective just in those three days. Something to be mindful of, for sure!

1 Like

I’m in a drug trial right now with medication that needs to be refrigerated. Last trip I needed to bring it to bell services and they took it out each time I needed it. Was very annoying.

1 Like

Helllllll no would I trust bell services with any medication. What if they lose it? Huge liability issue for Disney.

3 Likes

It definitely is. But I really didn’t have another option.

I’m surprised they accepted it, I’m sure they didn’t use to.

Maybe that was back when they had a real but small fridge in the room?

DD is on HGH which retails for 4-digits a vial and needs to be kept at fridge temp, but not freezing and out of sunlight. Even letting it warm up a little before injecting isn’t recommended because then the last dose would be less effective.

Exactly, it’s a liability for bell services. They used to give you a proper fridge for medication iirc.

2 Likes

Have to say I hate the beverage coolers- and IMO it’s a definite downgrade especially in the DVC studios what’s the point of a kitchenette if I can’t even keep milk cold enough for my morning coffee

3 Likes

Than the dining plan needs to come back-
One of the many things promised to return this year at destination D! Magic bands+ disney Alexa none of the stuff has materialized and we are nearly 6 months into the year.

2 Likes

here now at the polynesian in a standard, non dvc room and my milk spoiled after 2 days in the fridge, it’s not cold enough, keeps beverages cool but not ice cold, luckily we have a cooler with us and have been refreshing with ice few times a day

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. Do you have one of the units with the glass front?

yes it has a glass front

Yep, I travel for work and it’s a thing. I know most of the thermostat hacks now. I despise the ones with occupancy sensors.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this experience helps or adds to the confusion, but … when we checked into a Poly DVC studio a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the fridge while running, was not cold at all. So I walked down the hall and asked a housekeeper who happened to be there how to adjust the control knob so I could make the refrigerator colder. The unit in our room actually had no knob on the control stem. She told me that they do not have self adjusting knobs, and that it usually takes about 24 hours for those units to cool down, as they just turned it on that day of our arrival. Never having stayed in one of those villas before I just politely said okay, and walked away a bit surprised by what I heard. But, by the next morning the unit had indeed cooled off enough to keep our stash of water, juice and wine cool enough to be enjoyable. But as others have said, I would not call it “cold”. Ironically, the room temperature was preset to a nippy 68 degrees when we first walked into the room. :roll_eyes: Honest!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m here to make trouble. I think POFQ has actual mini fridges instead of “beverage coolers.” I’m watching tour videos because we’re going to be staying there in October, and so far, I’ve seen three photographs of mini fridges.

This is me, making trouble.

Sincerely,
Bay
P.S. – I remember when you could just ask for a mini fridge if you had Type I diabetes like my husband. I felt so lucky not to have to pay rent!

2 Likes

Hahahaha welcome @bay_loftis to this discussion… make all the trouble you want!!!

It seems to me like rooms, as they are being renovated are having “traditional” looking fridges replaced with the “glass front” model, which, as some said, appear to act more like beverage coolers.

I will investigate more thoroughly when I am there next month!

4 Likes

Ok, in the name of science I brought my refrigerator thermometer with me. It is the one I keep in my fridge back home, and it is pretty good, and very accurate.

We are at Caribbean Beach, with the glass-front “drink cooler” style unit. There is a sticker that clearly says that the unit only cools to 41 degrees.

When we got here the unit was empty, and the temperature was about 45. I cranked it all the way down and loaded it with some items we brought in a cooler. A couple beers, two small splits of champagne, some Costco protein shakes, and I put two Brita pitchers with tap water from the hotel in the unit.

By the next morning the unit was at 39 degrees. It has varied from 37 to 41 degrees with, for the most part, it being below 40. I haven’t seen it yet under 37, but, with stuff in it, and the door being shut, it seems to remain below 40 degrees.

Because I don’t sufficiently value the health of my family, I would easily keep foodstuffs in this fridge. Especially “hardier” items like lunch meat, etc. I don’t think it is routinely above 40 for any 4 hour period.

Take it for what its worth, but I think that with THIS unit at least, most food would be safe for the duration of time you are in this room, and for the volume and types of foods you might have in the unit.

I’m not a food scientist, and I don’t play one on TV, so your mileage may vary, and, ya know, do what you think is best…

20 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes