Recent visitors: did you get COVID in Orlando?

I’ve joked that I got it upon arrival at WDW but sweated it all out during the races.

3 Likes

Yea it’s indeed strange. Apparently, from what I’ve read, it’s not really known why it can vary so much.

A co-worker got covid at a 1hr lunch where 4 out of 6 people who sat at the table got sick. There are countless stories of superspreader events etc.

I wrestle with my kids, one of them crawls into our bed every other night, I didn’t even try to avoid contact, I prepare most of our food, and yet none of them got covid from me. My wife is 2x vaccinated, the kids are not and it’s not like they don’t catch diseases easily - they’ve had a flu like 5 times this winter (we’ve been testing every time too)… So by all logic they should’ve gotten covid from me.

The only explanations I can think of is that it’s either my biology that makes me not spread it as much, or something about how the virus behaved in me and why it was more “mild”. I’m vaccinated (4 months ago) but not boosted yet, maybe the vaccine plays a part here. I can’t fully rule out that they might’ve had it at some point, but I doubt it.

I tried googling this just recently, I came across this article, no proper answer to the question though: Busy household but only one COVID patient? Families perplexed by test results - ABC Everyday

2 Likes

My DD18 got it a couple weeks ago (Wednesday at church) and was showing symptoms by Saturday. We just thought it was a cold until her fever spiked a bit. Decided to get her tested Sunday morning, and at this point I started feeling similar stirrings in my throat. So I took her to get her PCR test unmasked assuming I already had it. It was about an hour in the car together.

I never got it. PCR tested twice.

So, who knows. we all have the same blood type. (O positive)

1 Like

Ohhhh… is this how conspiracy theories begin??? :wink: :joy: :rofl: (blood types mentioned 3x times now… I did participate as well :wink: )

2 Likes

I do not know about more likely but O is supposed to be less likely (Im O+). Additionally staying healthy should definitely play a role in your immune system. While my MIL and SIL went through chemo/ radiation- moderate activity, hydration, eating well, and getting enough sleep were stressed by their dr. for the best chance at maintaining their immune systems.

2 Likes

Friend and I went 12/13-12/18, both triple vaxxed. We wore good masks inside, in every line/ride, and often outside (when crowded), but we did fly roundtrip, eat inside at sit down restaurants and go to Oga’s. Both of us tested negative multiple times after we got home. Ironically, while I was gone 3 people in my household tested positive at home. Two other family members in the house and I (when I got home) stayed separated from them and the 3 of us stayed negative. Now a month later one of those 3 (my husband) tested positive. However, my son and I are still negative even though obviously we had a lot of exposure to him - at this point we’ve stayed negative through two separate instances of Covid in our household in the last month, so it is very confusing!

3 Likes

Thank you for this thread. Omicron is ripping through my community right now but we have not changed our plans for our upcoming trip. 3 adults are all triple vaxxed, 4 year old is not protected. She was recently “exposed” at preschool so she’s home now and waiting on PCR results. They wear masks at school so I’m hopeful that she won’t test positive - she has no symptoms at all.

My strategy is to be as careful as humanly possible leading up to our trip, wear extra good (KN95) masks on our travel days, and mask and socially distance as much as possible at Disney. We went back in May 2021 and had a great and safe time, but the case rates were not as crazy then and Disney was doing an awesome job enforcing masks and social distancing. I’m going to be that bitch in line this time asking people to stay 6 feet back from us and idgaf. This trip is necessary for my family’s mental health, but I refuse to throw caution to the wind.

I will say I have seen first-hand that the rapid tests are not accurate for Omicron. Please don’t let them give you a false sense of security. As mild as O is, it will still be serious for some people and we need to keep our guard up. PCR test whenever possible!

7 Likes

FIFY :grin:

8 Likes

Thanks for the revision! I agree with you but I’m also extremely conflict averse so it’s easier for me enforce my boundaries if I first decide I don’t care if people react badly.

3 Likes

Travel: January 3-10, 2022.

This Marathon Weekend trip included myself, DD15 and DS21. During the trip we were held hostage on an airplane to WDW for approximately 4.5 hours and approximately 8 hours on the return with a layover in Toronto, Ontario.

During the week there were several areas with large crowds of people packed together.

Before we left Canada, we had to provide a negative COVID test within 24 hours of flight. This was an rapid antigen type. For the return to Canada, we needed a molecular test within 7 hours of our return flight to Canada.

We did not test positive on either test and do not believe we contracted COVID while on vacation.

What did we do to try and minimise our exposure to potential infection?

• If we saw a hand sanitiser dispenser at any location, we used it.
  • At all turnstiles where they required your fingerprint, we immediately sanitised our hands after providing a fingerprint. We were constantly reminding each other that your finger is now dirty…do not touch your face until you sanitise it.
  • Although the rules stated that masks were not required at outdoor locations, if we ended up in an overcrowded line or area where we could not maintain 6ft/2m separation, the masks would go on.
  • During all indoor activities and attractions, a mask was used. Immediately after each attraction, the nearest hand sanitiser station was used to clean our hands.
  • During the runDisney races, a mask was kept under our chin so that it could be pulled up quickly. In the corrals and at any choke-point during the races, the mask would go up.
  • We did not avoid indoor meals during our trip. Masks were on until our drinks arrived at the table. Masks stayed off until we completed our meal and were ready to go.

So far, so good. Everyone is feeling fine.

8 Likes

I don’t know but while we’re on the subject, if both of you are willing and able, consider being a blood donor! We are so short on blood supply it’s scary!

3 Likes

I’m well aware of this issue and just earlier this week I went online to try to find a location to make a donation and was not able to find anywhere w/in 25 mi. of where I live. I’d love suggestions other than the red cross.

1 Like

I don’t know where you live but, any hospital that gets blood from Red Cross has to have blood drives (I think on a monthly basis)

1 Like

I wish I could give blood. I was able to successfully give blood twice. Well, four times, but the last two times I felt absolutely horrible afterwards in a weird way. Like a sense of impending doom. I was confined to a cot. It took me several hours before I recovered enough to walk back to my desk (it was a blood drive at work). The first time they suggested I was dehydrated. The second time I made sure I wasn’t, but it happened again. I was told that this was my body’s way of saying not to give blood and that I shouldn’t try any more.

1 Like

Thank you. One idea I had was to call the local hospital directly.

Same problem here! They are putting it on local news but where do you go??

1 Like

Here they have been suspended since Covid.

If she’s ever taken a pregnancy test, this explains why she was the one to insist on counting it as a positive.

5 Likes

Not here. We have them every few weeks at my hospital. We actually had one a few weeks ago in honor of our pathologist who passed away last year from covid. He was a good guy to work with and so smart- we really lost a great one in him.

5 Likes

I also had several failed donations and was told to consider finding another way to be of service :joy:

3 Likes