Recent visitors: did you get COVID in Orlando?

We went to Universal for 3 days in December. We stayed onsite so we could just walk to the park. We were triple vaccinated with Moderna. Our 3rd dose was 9 days before the trip. We did not wear masks in the parks. We only wore them in the airport/plane and in the taxi/Uber to and from the airport. We did not leave the Universal bubble.
We did not get sick.

1 Like

:laughing:

We’ve been saying that for nearly 2 years now.

I’m thinking this is life from now on.

7 Likes

Well, in general I agree with you. But as far as this two week period right now? Your chance of getting Covid has never been higher and I’m confident in saying it will never be this high again. It may be relatively high again in future waves, but these numbers are truly ridiculous. The only reason we’re allowing it is because omicron is milder than previous variants, and we’re completely fatigued.

10 Likes

Yes!

5 Likes

Went to Universal over Xmas week for 3 days stayed royal pacific. Total there were 9 of us. 5 adults and 4 kids ages 9,9,8,7. All fully vaxed and adults boostered. Wore masks entire time. 3 kids tested positive day after we drove home. All adults stayed negative.

1 Like

Take that back! Whenever it looks like it will get better, there is a new surprise that follows.

9 Likes

Living in a place that is filled with domestic and international tourists, I feel like I have the same chance of getting Covid at home as in Disney. This pandemic is different then 2 years ago. Its better?? for lack of a better word. Obviously it is still dangerous for a sector of the population and could be a toss up for even the healthiest of us. But so are other things, right? We went in Dec 2020 and we made out fine. Around here, no masks in businesses for the most part. N.O. has a stricter mandate but its such a small city geographically and ALL of the surrounding areas have no restrictions (except for masks in government buildings and hospitals).

1 Like

Just clarifying… Is it ANY non-vented/non-mesh/not-a-gaiter mask that is required, or are they now specifically requiring N95/KN95 masks? Just wanting clarification as I’ve seen “masks required” but other than no mesh/no holes/no vents/no gaiters no restrictions on the type.

N95 is not required. Any mask as you describe here is permissable

but if you have access to N95, I’d recommend it. CDC stopped just short as making this recommendation the other day

4 Likes

I didn’t get it in Orlando but did get it after returning home. However this was 2+ weeks after being in WDW, so I didn’t catch it there.

Oddly, I had zero symptoms aside from feeling a bit tired. Also, a day after a positive PCR test, a home test was negative. 3 days after, a home test was barely positive, I wouldn’t have counted it but my wife says it showed a faint line. 5 days after, negative again. So I have very little faith in home testing.

Also strange - none of my family got sick.

1 Like

Thanks. I have some they are giving us at school, but they’re just this side of too small for me - even for a tight fitting mask. Completely slip off my ears.

There is evidence that rapid tests are less accurate with Omicron.

1 Like

I keep hearing how spectacularly contagious omicron is, but I also keep hearing stories of people who live together and one of them gets omicron and the other never does.

3 Likes

I was at WDW for 6 days in early January, and on 4 of those I ran in runDisney events surrounded by thousands of people breathing heavily as they ran ran ran. I did not avoid indoor spaces and ate at table service restaurants 5-6 times, including Oga’s which was packed shoulder-to-shoulder it seemed like. I wore KN95 masks, but my vigilance waned towards the end of the trip. I assumed I would be getting COVID anyways, just didn’t want to get sick right before the marathon. My arrival flight was delayed and my return flight had a 2-hour layover, so I was in the airport/airplane for something like 7-8 hours both ways. I did not get COVID. However, my DD3 got it from her preschool while I was gone. My parents-in-law both got it from her (they were babysitting while DW and I were at WDW), and my DS7 and DS5 both got it. DW was the last to get it, but not sure if from WDW or from the family. I’ve now been around all my kids and wife with COVID for 10 days and have not tested positive despite testing every other day. That includes 5 rapid tests and two PCR tests. The only explanation I have is that I must have had it at some point in the past, was asymptomatic and viral load must have been small enough that I did not spread it to my family. But who knows. It is very confusing…

4 Likes

It was that way before Delta and Omicron, that some family members would be positive and others negative. Dd (mask wearer) was exposed at work (eye dr’s office) in October 2020. She was very, very sick for a week and lingeringly sick for two months. I, who would spend time across a table with her when she was home, was sick for a week with a slight fever, no taste/smell, and horrible sinus yuck. Dh, with whom I share a bed lol, did not get sick at all despite the fact I didn’t quarantine until my PCR was positive.

PCR testing was and still is easily accessible in our state, so we made a habit of frequent testing when dd worked in a healthcare setting. (She did not return to that job lol)

1 Like

I have wondered about the strength of immunity that is gained from being active.

Though that would be negated by my sister’s case

Except that she OVERdoes it (she ran on her treadmill while still in quarantine) - throughout training she did extra workouts and similar I feel to the detriment of her well being.

Perhaps there’s a sweet spot at which one is active, hydrates, and fuels the body mindfully that helps to mitigate the risk of contracting this (or any other) illness – I rarely catch anything.

There’s also the blood type theory which has been out there time and again over the last few years. I don’t know what type is supposedly more likely to catch it (or least likely to catch it) but I am curious and might look into that later. I am Aneg

1 Like

That is exactly my situation. My DS 1 got it and DW has it but asymptomatic. We haven’t been isolating from each other at home at all and I have not tested positive nor has DD8. It’s possible the strain that popped up around here for us 3 weeks ago was still Delta but who knows!

plz share whatever you find. DS keeps telling me his O-neg gives him super covid protection :wink: He’s still cautious, masks etc. but it’s a running joke b/c all the kids and I are O-neg

1 Like

DD24 and I did not get it at WDW the weekend before Christmas (KN95s, no indoor dining, masking in crowds outdoors also, no masks taken off on planes or airport) but she has it now from going to a friend’s apartment to watch a movie. Sucks because she is across the country and had to extend her stay to isolate. Of course, this mom warned her but she thought she was invincible since we didn’t get it at WDW. :neutral_face:

ETA: She is a runner and usually runs 20ish miles per week (or more) but it didn’t help. (pertains to above conversation)

3 Likes

We (three adults) stayed at UOR and then a WDW resort for 21 days in December. We did pre departure tests before leaving the U.K. and USA and a PCR when we arrived back in the U.K. All negative. We were all contacted by NHS test and trace a few days after arriving back in the U.K., so someone on the flight with us must have tested positive; we continued to test negative. UOR did not require masks while we were there, WDW did indoors. We enjoyed ourselves as normal, visited restaurants, lounges etc. We used lots of sanitizer and washed our hands before eating in restaurants etc. No COVID but I did develop a cough which started in the car on the drive home. 20 days later still coughing. During Christmas almost every household in my village developed COVID.

4 Likes