Really strange Q about ears/headbands

I apologize if this is ridiculous/remedial/redundant, but I haven’t been to WDW in almost 15 years.

When did the ears/headbands merchandise become popular? The last time I went, ears were on a tidy black cap, and cast members were reluctant to embroider your name on the cap if it was weird. (Like “Bay,” because one’s parents were hippies or something.)

The headbands which are so popular now are very pretty! But I wore headbands a lot when I was a high school student (October 1980 to May 1984). Some styles hurt! I didn’t wear those a lot, and I stuck to the headbands that didn’t inflict pain on my little noggin.

Are the popular headbands in WDW comfortable? Can you direct me to videos/reviews that will soothe my concerned soul?

thank you in advance!!!

3 Likes

I think the ears are really cute but they’re uncomfortable for me. There might be more comfortable ones available from sellers on Etsy or similar. They didn’t hesitate to stitch my daughter’s…unique name on a cap.

2 Likes

So my daughter wanted a pair to wear on her bday this upcoming trip. I just put them on…They are not super comfortable. They’re not awful but they are a bit tight and a little heavy. I could see a whole day of this getting annoying. But for a dinner or something I’d do it.
Edit: on the bright side I just shook my head side to side and they don’t budge. So that snugness makes them stay on well. I have a smaller head too.

2 Likes

I don’t know about videos. I remember the plastic headbands with the teeth from the 80’s and 90’s. Those were painful.
I think the heavy ears, like the light up Mickey balloon ears, have those same plastic teeth. I read a review somewhere that said they were uncomfortable after a long period,
But, I have had the ears that feel like crushed velvet and the bow is satin, I found them to be just fine. I have a new set that is sequined all over and I I think the only thing that bugs me is when strands of hair gets caught in the sequence.

1 Like

Is it even possible to find the old black cap type ears anywhere? It seems the headband ones don’t leave any ears for boys, unless I’m missing something.

1 Like

Yes, they still have the old style caps, but I think the baseball hat style is probably even more a guy thing.

https://www.shopdisney.com/mickey-mouse-baseball-ear-cap-for-adults-420162376575.html?isProductSearch=1&plpPosition=13&searchType=regular

https://www.shopdisney.com/search?q=Ears&lang=default&isRegSearch=1

1 Like

Awesome! Do you know if they sell them in the parks or not!!??

Perhaps I’m just not with it, but I don’t see a problem with a boy wearing headband ears. DS wore some during our first family trip, and no one seemed to bat an eye. Admittedly they were plain black - no bows or sequins.

3 Likes

Not a problem except all the headband ones I’ve seen have the big Minnie bows. I’m like the og poster, the headbands are totally new to me. Generally headbands are not something boys wear as much as girls, not making a value judgment just stating an observation (I’m also guessing age may play a part with this too). I was curious what else was available and if the original ears still were. We haven’t been to WDW since our honeymoon 25 years ago. If we want to do an ears picture for our bucket/25th anniversary trip in June it’s helpful to know if there are anything that doesn’t have a big bow on it since I’m not really a bow kinda gal. Also, headbands usually hurt my head and give me headaches so I haven’t worn one in years.

2 Likes

No idea. I know in 2010 I was really hoping to find the Safari hats with ears I had seen a few years earlier and they were nowhere to be found. <—random barely related data point, but I’m sure y’all can understand my angst because I had some irrational need to buy a pair for the twins! :crazy_face:

ETA: Of course, now I see them all over eBay, but the point was for them to wear them at AK for pictures! :joy::joy::joy: I think I checked every shop at AK and then some!

2 Likes

I really like the ears that I get from an Etsy shop. It is Ears by Ray. They are not heavy and they fit really well. I will be getting more for any trip that I take.

1 Like

For an anniversary trip, I might do this one (old school style):
https://www.shopdisney.com/mickey-mouse-groom-ear-hat-400021250390.html?CMP=KNC-DSSGoogle&efc=179006&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTk3neC5L8zVBpPRa04sYxO3j6hwajGF3f358RLEpVLMLm42JDjVdX0aAoSuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Of course you could get the matching set for about 20% of the cost on Etsy (headband):
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi5h-Gbg4DwAhUM4MAKHZFqDk4YABAEGgJpbQ&ae=2&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2Joxwijb7swk1UoqEBOHYWFf5vjHbeizVaDEc8FLDnYL6X8zByN7QMlK61Dqow1s9ahsjD33fZSN2WZAvqKM&sig=AOD64_2I3ciDse_j7sAH51Upi0lkTiP11A&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwightSbg4DwAhWBGs0KHWajBq4Qwg96BAgBEB8&adurl=

2 Likes

I had never got any till my last trip as headbands always hurt my head. They weren’t too bad, I got used to them.

2 Likes

Could be!

When I was last there (which was a while ago) they had plain ones. I’d be surprised if they didn’t still. That’d kind of be like an ice cream shop not carrying vanilla. As I recall, the headband did seem fairly tight - after all, they stayed on my 6 year old’s head.

1 Like

I’ve worn the combination of minnie ears headband, sunglasses, and a mask and had no problem with it. The key is to get them before your trip (unless you really want a specific park pair) and test them out with anything else you wear. I like some of the thinner headbands from etsy/amazon because they allow me to wear my sunglasses too. The thick park headbands always gave me some issues because they took up more room.
Try a couple and find what works for you. But they really are super cute to wear!

1 Like

I got these off amazon specifically so the 4 males on my trip could wear ears in one picture.

2 Likes

They 100% still have the old hats. Daughter wanted bday ears to wear for her bday this trip and the ones they have online and that come in floral and gifts packages are the hats.
Jan 2020 same was true of the hats at floral and gifts but I asked to trade out for the headband.
https://www.shopdisney.com/search?q=Ears&lang=default&isRegSearch=1
And some of those are baseball caps.

3 Likes

The Chapeau was the shop on Main Street where we always went to buy ears. It’s next to Tony’s Town Square, and it’s number 8 on a January 2021 MK map. But I think I’ve seen photos of plain headband ears. They must exist somewhere! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not headband related but some of my favorite pictures of my babies are with their Mickey ears we had made at MK before they were born.

10 Likes

I bought a couple of headbands yesterday even though I find them uncomfortable; it’s been years since I’ve worn them but the newer ones are surprisingly comfy. We’ll see how I last w/ them and glasses in the parks :wink: Also my daughter got a ball cap w/ bow and ears this month. I saw them on sale yesterday. Very cute but I don’t wear ball caps.

6 Likes