Ready to Run...a return to RunDisney races

Getting ready to board . . . I changed my flight at the last minute (literally, in the airport about to board my original flight) so I am now landing at 1:25. It cost me some extra $$ but I’m too excited to care and now I will definitely have enough time to get to the expo.

The weather in Orlando looks rough though . . . :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

3 Likes

@tazzat How’s the weather??

Pouring rain with no break! I decided not to RD. I have teacher conferences over Zoom today for a couple hours this afternoon. Not sure if I feel like poncho touring! I sprained a leg muscle last night in Epcot with all the speed walking, so I figured I would rest my legs a little today, maybe do some yoga.

1 Like

Ugh. HATE that!!!

It can be quite exhausting if it’s pouring. Light rain, drizzle, not so bad. Pouring is just ugh.

:flushed: That is terrible given the point of your visit!

2 Likes

Good luck! It was an extremely bumpy ride in!

3 Likes

Sounds like you had a great day!! I can’t wait to have all the drinks, but I’m waiting until I cross the finish line Sunday :laughing:

2 Likes

Hello friends!

Staring down 20 for Sunday! Excited!! Is that weird?

Running 7 in advance of a relay my sister (who is marathoning with me) and I are doing; she will do the first 13.1 mile leg and I’ll do the second. Just solidified our plans pre and post race which feels good. I am realizing that what I’ve long regarded as a need for control is really anxiety of the unknown. Having plans helps.

Anyway I do have one concern as I prep for this run: I have some mild but persistent tenderness in the balls of my feet, L>R. It’s too far forward and not really at all in my arches so I don’t think it’s PF, but perhaps metatarsalgia? I am getting new shoes after this long one, but did not have time to get them in time to wear them in for this long one. Any suggestions to alleviate over-aggravation of this on this long run? Thoughts for post-run management? I’m thinking RICE treatment is the best I can do?

1 Like

This is me to a “T”. People have often said I need to control things, but all I am after in an understanding of what is happening.

How many miles are on your current pair?

Did you go in for a fitting to make sure you had the right type for your running style?

When did the tenderness start appearing? Could it be related to the miles on your shoes? It may also be related to the ever-increasing distances you are doing.

Not that it helps, but I do recall when I was training for Dopey last year, aches and pains began appearing in my feet as the mileage got heavier. It did subside once I got to the taper, but did stick around until then.

I think the RICE method may be a good start. Can you go in and get it looked at? Better to know now if you have the start of something more serious.

My shoe tracker is showing 171 miles, which is not really that much. These are Saucony which was a shift in brand for me and I haven’t loved them; this foot pain is only validating that I will go back to tried and true NB. And I can’t really lean on overuse because I really was doing a lot more miles/week before I started this marathon training; I was up to around 30/wk on average and am well below that now. Even considering longer runs might be more uncomfortable this just doesn’t make sense. I’m not sure if these are just not supportive enough in the arch or cushioned enough but either way they gotta go.

Yep, for years and years now. Have never bought “off the shelf” retail since I started getting fitted a couple of decades ago now. I was torn between these Saucony ones and the NB ones; I can’t remember what tipped the scale but it really was almost a draw and I have regrets.

I can but I think I’ll see if the shoe change helps. I really feel like that’s the culprit. (also what if they tell me something bad like stop training…)

Gotcha. I changed shoe brands last year and ended up with shin splints. I have gone back to NB as well and things are much better.

1 Like

This is me too! I say I’m not a control freak I’m a knowledge freak. Just give me all the details and I’ll be fine.

3 Likes

What about socks? A nice new pair of socks with extra cushion in the ball and support in the arch? Not long term fix but maybe a little extra for your 20 miles

I hate heavy socks. My feet get hot. I only wear lightweight socks

(For running. I love cozy fuzzy socks for otherwise)

1 Like

It was!! But we landed!

So sad that this will be last trip to use ME. My first time riding was in 2008 on my son’s first trip. It always brings good feelings and memories. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Y’all I love the airport projections!

3 Likes

I didn’t even see those!

1 Like

Oooh that’s cool!

1 Like

How hard is it to register for the runs lately? Thinking about doing the 5 & 10 races for the one in April.

I have done races twice before, but they were both at Disneyland. (Marvel ones in 2014 - Half & 2015 10/Half)

It probably depends on the race. I waited to register for the W&D half until the day before the registration closed :upside_down_face::laughing:

I also know the Disney full marathon did not sell out right away.

I expect that will be harder to get than this round of Wine & Dine and Marathon, specifically for the throwback feature. Folks LOVE those old discontinued races and will clamor for them. I do think some challenges are easier to come by in general. 5&10 might be hard because those are fairly attainable distances for most people. I could easily crush the “dopey” (whatever they are calling the 4-race challenge) because the distances are not crazy