Ready to Run...a return to RunDisney races

I take almonds on my long runs, just fill up my little belt pouch like a weirdo squirrel…along with GU. I use LMNT for my salty electrolytes…when I know it is going to be a particularly sweaty run.

Did not know this was a flavor option…add to cart.

1 Like

Oh ow. My stomach hurts just reading about nuts on a run.

LOL

It’s true everyone has what works for them!

1 Like

I use tailwind or nuun a little before and then during long runs. I also take gu or cliff blocks chews every 3-4 miles. I can’t drink the power aid during races or my stomach feels sick near the end. So I usually drink tail wind before the race then have waters only during the race but bring gu’s along with me.
My nutrition leading out to a long run definitely plays a role. If I’ve been eating too much rich food that my stomach doesn’t tolerate as much on the run. But I also need to have good carbs and proteins in the days before and then the typical runner’s breakfast that morning of peanut butter bagel and banana

1 Like

Seriously you people are great! No one else can/will talk this level of details about Disney and running! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Look what I got!!! A little shoe-inspiration!!

I got my sister a matching set. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Love them!! Did you get them online?

Yes. An Etsy shop called LovelyFoxes. Affordable, tons of positive reviews, arrived quickly. I love them!

100% custom. I actually saw this saying as a pendant but thought I would love it as inspiration on my runs so I went in search of somewhere I could have it made to my liking and voila!

Those are fantastic!

1 Like

Love them. I need to think about what mine will say.

1 Like

I’m loving your mantra!

1 Like

I would need to think of something meaningful…right now all I got is:

Every stick is a snake … Until proven otherwise.

3 Likes

:laughing:

So.

My sister thinks she may have a stress fracture :woman_facepalming:

This will be her third marathon. As such I have had the sense that she has gone into this training cycle a little bit overconfident. She has done a few extra-long distance races ( a very very hilly 10 miler, and at least one extra 13.1) that have all fallen on the short long run week. I have reserved suggesting she is being a little overly aggressive and might dial it down, but one thing you don’t do with my sister is tell her what you think she should do :wink:

So here we are. She assures me she will be fine. And I know January is a long way off. And she has plenty of training under her to be able to sideline temporarily and probably still do just fine. But I have to share somewhere that I’m feeling a little frustrated about it at the moment (not overlooking that I want her to be well and healthy, obviously).

3 Likes

Completely understandable to be frustrated. You want people to be well and healthy so they can do the fun things with you! Fingers crossed she follows doctors orders if she receives them and sidelines herself to heal so she can still do the race.

Ha…I’m sorry about your sister but I wonder if my brother felt this way about me. After a marathon (but also while training for a distance challenge that still had two halves, a 30K and a full marathon) I went and did 10 miles the next weekend against my brother’s wishes who said protect your tendons/ligaments dear sister and that went fine but the week after that I did 3 miles with my dog cuz hey it’s short, and she saw a squirrel and pulled me and high ankle sprain. While I took the rest of the week and a half off till the next half, I ran the whole half on it. I mean I ran (aka limp ran) and it hurt pretty bad from somewhere between mile 1 and 2 but I was trying to keep my old pace. And this was the hilliest half we have in this area. And you’ll never guess what happened…I couldn’t walk by the time I got home and hubby had to carry me. And then you’ll never guess what happened…I quit the distance challenge on him and he had to finish alone. Another Distance Challenge I entered I ran a 10 miler in the 90s with NO fluids on me cuz I’m dumb and tore my calf (cheese grater up the calf and had to limp the last mile to the car) from the dehydration swelling and guess what I quit on him then too. So I relate to your sister so it made me laugh. But maybe she’ll push through. Stress fractures are pretty serious no? My cousin got one in baseball but that was his back. I know he had to quit for a bit.

1 Like

I’m reading in mayo clinic - one of the only medical websites i trust - that stress fractures generally take 6-8 weeks to heal :flushed:

I am the perfect example of that stubbornness :rofl:

• Did a 10+ mile run on August 28th. (probably the day I had my heart issues).
  • Ran 5k on the 29th having to walk multiple times because I was out of breath.
  • Ran 0.5 miles on the 31st before having to walk (out of breath).
  • Ran 0.5 on the 2nd (out of breath).
  • Ran 0.5 on the 3rd (out of breath).
  • Walked 10k on the 4th.
  • Walked 10k on the 5th.
  • Finally went to the hospital on the 6th.

That is 9 days before I finally got treatment. :crazy_face:

All I can say is let her know you are concerned for her and really want the both of you to cross the finish line together ! I know I was hearing what everyone was telling me, it just took a while to sink in.

2 Likes

Oh she’s seeking evaluation.

I’m just frustrated that she was going outside of the plan and — obviously — overdoing it.

1 Like

It’s easy to overdo it. After the Dopey (2020), I was trying to stay in form to run a marathon for time in March. Figured since I had the distance in my legs already, why not try for a real PR, maybe get under 4:30. Well after the Dopey I really ramped things up, started doing speed work, hill work, etc. One day I was going out for a short run, and was feeling especially great so I decided I would try to PR a 5k distance. Maybe a mile in or so my knee gave out. Turned out to just be runner’s knee, so I was determined to still run the marathon in March even though I knew I couldn’t push for a good time. I did all the PT, stretching, easy pace on my runs, etc. Got to the marathon feeling decent, but at mile 6 my knee gave out again. Couldn’t run at all. Period. I hobbled to mile 8 where my entire family was waiting for me and I broke down. It took me a year to get back into running after that. The pandemic, which started for us about a week later, certainly didn’t help…

I really hope it works out for you and your sister, Jen. And if that means speed-walking the marathon (16 min/mi pace is no biggie), so be it. $&#@ happens. Plans change. You will make the best of it.

4 Likes