Gaston's Gallop: A RunDisney Trip Report (11/5-11/9/21)

I love this combo of early entry for FOP, NRJ, KS, and Animation Experience so much that at this point I was on my phone changing the next day’s park reservation from HS to AK so I could do it all again. And I did.

9 Likes

All my faves! Excellent call :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

On my most recent trip, my phone locked out for 15 minutes because somehow I was trying to log in when it was in my pocket and I reached the max number of attempts. I was forced to ride the entire safari without taking any pictures! :scream: I had to actually look at the animals. :joy: It was a blessing and a curse.

7 Likes

The thing about it is the animals are still pretty far away to get “great” shots without a legit camera and telephoto lens. I can’t help myself from trying though and usually end up with a few decent ones. But afterwards I usually wish I had just enjoyed the ride without a distraction in my hands.

3 Likes

Bye Bye AK!

At 1230p I was enjoying a Dole Whip and admiring one of Imagineering’s greatest works of art while on my way to Everest.

Park was getting packed. In October I rode EE using the SR line 3 times in a row without a wait, but today it was about 15min. Not bad at all, but still a notable difference in crowds from the WDW 50th weekend. I guess I was just surprised by the waits this weekend.

I was off Everest at 1255p and headed to The Tree for one last picture

9 Likes

Go the Distance

Over in our RunDisney thread @OBNurseNH showed off some engrave-able shoe “flair” that she had found on Etsy.

I instantly knew I wanted some for my race shoes and what I would have engraved on them: lyrics from the Disney song that moves me more than any other, “Go the Distance” from Hercules. Obviously, it is a perfect song for a runner. But for me it is more.

When we came to WDW the first time it was to celebrate my then-DS2’s cancer recovery. We saw Happily Ever After the first night, and when I heard the words of “Go the Distance” I broke down and cried. I looked over at DW and she was balling too. We had seen Hercules during family movie night a few months before and it became a sort of anthem for our lives, going through DS2’s chemo and then surgery. And the aftermath of that, dealing with his permanent disability and unique healthcare needs. The song embodied our emotions.

I eventually decided to have “When I go the distance / I’ll be right where I belong” engraved. It’s perfect. I put them on my shoes and wore them for both races this weekend.

Now, when I was leaving AK, I happened to look down at my shoes and see the lyrics, and was inspired to take a photo of them with the tree in the background. A cool memory to have of my favorite park. Then I realized I could do it at all four parks today, get a photo with each park icon in the background, and so that became a secondary goal for the day. Sadly, during the VMAH I completely forgot to get a photo with Cinderella Castle. I was totally caught up in the Christmas Spirit! I didn’t realize I had forgot until I was on the bus going down World Dr :sob: I’m going to beat myself up over that until the next time I can take the photo, hopefully in January during Dopey.

17 Likes

Ok, didn’t want to head off for Thanksgiving on that note, so here’s the next 2 hours…

Ropedrop Hop to Hollywood

I wanted to get into HS early enough to see the BatB show at 200p. I was waiting for the AK-HS bus starting at 110p, but was skeptical it was running. There was the AK-EP bus but it was idling in its spot and not letting anyone on. At 120p, a bus came to my stall and let people off, but the driver wagged his finger at me to say “no” and drove off without picking anyone up (there were 5 of us now). So I audibled and caught a bus to Boardwalk, and was on the walking path to HS at 135p. I saw a bass fishing group, which I had never seen before because I think they are usually really early in the morning.

FYI - From the Boardwalk bus stop, I was able to walk south/west through the parking lot and by the tennis courts to cut off a good minute or so of walking. I remember Ryan and Jeremy talking about this on an episode of Backside of Magic, but pretty sure they concluded that it didn’t save time. After actually doing this, I’ll argue that it is indeed a good shortcut.

Anyways, I was inside HS walking down Sunset Blvd at 149a, enough time to get my favorite beverage to enjoy while watching my favorite show at 2. One more word: CROWDS!

10 Likes

I have some catching up to do here, my friend!

1 Like

I probably won’t post any more until next week, so you have plenty of time to catch up. I have not been putting as much into this report as I had hoped anyways. Life is so crazy right now…

4 Likes

I’m not crying - you’re crying! :sob:

This is one of my favorite songs. I love how different songs/movies can have such special meaning for us.

5 Likes

I feel ya! I’m behind on mine but am planning to keep on top of it and get it done by the weekend!

1 Like

I just totally stopped mine, so you’re both ahead of me and doing great! (Though I had to move and visit doctors and had no internet…I’ll get there!)

2 Likes

I discovered this last year, now it is a multiple must do each trip. It does not get the appreciation it deserves and something unique to Disney

4 Likes

Wow, love this. I just cant imagine what you went thru

4 Likes

That’s so terrible. What an asshole

1 Like

Oh man!!!

1 Like

How perfect for you!

1 Like

I concur.

Nice!

1 Like

It’s wicked cool to be involved in. I experienced it during marathon weekend 2018 while at AK to see a friend running there.

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:laughing:

1 Like