Re-opening news for WDW

if they turn the air on full blast and open both the front doors and the wheel-chair access areas, it could conceivably air out the bus.

Not really sure it actually does much though?

If a zone is filled by one person, it is considered filled and no other guests will be able to sit there.

no standing will be permitted.

Grrrrreat. I’m going to feel like a total ass. :frowning: Sorry, pregnant lady, parent carrying 2 kids who are asleep, or elderly person who is clearly exhausted… this zone is MINE and I have to sit!

It was tested from what I understand by filling a bus with smoke and then seeing how long it would take to get all the smoke out of the bus.

This, the plexiglass barring air ventilation and the fact that Oga’s is opening (that place is a virus capsule with maskless people) are making me wonder how much the safety measures are to ensure safety and how much they are to make people feel safe.

The overall rise in central Florida means it is going to be very hard to tell how effective these measures are, there won’t be any tracing.

The ONLY thing I would say is theatre is the temperature taking, as one can have the virus without a fever; at the same time this is very commonplace including at my own place of work where we are subjected to temperature screening every morning. Otherwise they are doing an awful lot of very very good stuff here. Let’s not make it something it isn’t.

1 Like

Oga’s is opening. It is a bar, and not a particularly big or well ventilated one. Even with very restricted capacity, there is overwhelming evidence that it is precisely the sort of setting on which corona thrives. Disney is not obligated to close it, they are following regulations by opening it. But it represents a very small percentage of their revenue, it is an obvious risk and it is still opening. That news decreased my faith in Disney’s opening procedures - I used to be completely sure that they would do everything reasonable to keep guests as safe as possible.

There are a lot of useful and necessary measures, I don’t even think most of it is theater. But I really want to read the reasoning behind the plexiglass in queues. They are something really visible, which increases the feeling of safety, while they seem to interrupt air flow. Usually plexiglass is used to protect a static person in an indoor room where there is a flow of people behind the plexiglass (like a cashier). Does it help at all? Decreasing air circulation goes against all the latest articles, so I do think it is more about perception than actual safety. I do not trust Disney to the point of thinking they are probably right when the evidence I have points to the contrary (they might be, but I really want to read about it).

Buses are also weird. Why no air flow? My unfortunate experience in public transportation is that people will remove their masks to eat, drink and talk, as soon as they are seated, even in places where mask compliance is pretty high (TBH in the morning everyone keeps their masks, but on evenings anything is an excuse for removal).

I guess if that one exception negates everything else for you, then you have your answer as to whether to travel or not. For me it does not then mean that they have spent whatever exorbitant amount of money on implementing all the things they have - and restricted their revenue by restricting capacity beyond what is mandated - to make guests feel good. I genuinely believe they care about protecting the health and safety of their guests and cast. You are free to feel otherwise.

3 Likes

this is an easy one - it is impossible, as you know if you’ve been in most Disney queues (jungle cruise anyone??) to be 6 feet away from the person the next “row” ahead of you in line. Hence the plexiglass

3 Likes

plus the Plexiglass is job security for window cleaners :rofl::rofl::rofl:

and for those with stock in plexiglass

1 Like

It decreased my faith from “I will trust them even if there is no data” (which is extremely high) to “I think it is ok, but I want to see data”

To me, the Plexiglass isn’t a concern regarding airflow. The Plexiglas only goes up to just above head height, bit is opened air above that. So there is plenty of airflow.

4 Likes

I agree with you, and I also really question the plexiglas considering everyone is supposed to be wearing masks. So droplet transmission is basically stopped at the source. I agree that they should be there to protect people like cashiers, who are at higher risk. But for the queues, they definitely are interrupting air flow, and that worsens airborne transmission.

I think there is a real possibility that Disney just didn’t account for a virus that is airborne when they made these plans. It was only a few days ago that WHO officially came out and said that it definitely was. Scientists have been dancing around that particular issue for a while and most of the guidelines we’ve been following are based on the flu, which is spread by droplets and contact.

As for the bus, the 4 minute “airing out” @ryan1 mentioned does seem to be mostly for show. I remember this study from the start of the epidemic (sorry I can’t find the original article). One passenger was infected 30 minutes after the index case had left. Although it’s good to know that wearing a mask helps:

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s already posted somewhere, but RotR will be using Virtual Queues when DHS reopens. There will still be “back-up” BGs and having a Virtual Queue Pass does not guarantee you’ll get to ride.

6 Likes

Ha! I was just literally coming here to do the same!

1 Like

WDW is restricting gators!

Ok forgive the sloppy circling but I’m not understanding how these two statements work together. We can check VQ availability before we enter the park but can’t join the VQ until we make it through the HS taps?

1 Like

I’m okay with this. I have no idea how effective gaiters are at stopping COVID but I just don’t like the idea of things tied around people’s necks.

Out of tens of thousands of visitors with gaiters, you just know someone is going to get it caught on something, somehow and end up strangling themselves.

2 Likes

I think it’s saying there’s no “need” to arrive early since you can join at 1pm or 4pm. But if you want a spot distributed at 10am, you are definitely going to have to arrive early to be through the tapstiles in time! I’m very curious to see how it works out. Hopefully attendance is low enough and urgency is decreased enough that there is no mad rush.

2 Likes

You were always able to check the queue, and join it for that matter, from anywhere in the world - literally.

But like @Jeff_AZ, I think it means you don’t all have to arrive right before 10am to be able to have a chance of getting a place in the VQ.

But even with 25% capacity, that’s 20K people potentially at DHS each day. There will still be too many people to be able to ride, it doesn’t take 2K an hour.

This is all to do with the ride reliability. It’s a pity they weren’t able to look at that and improve things during the closure.

I’m also curious how the ride is going to operate since so much of it is “preshow” (trying to be spoiler free)

Haunted Mansion preshow is off & you just pass through it. That stretching room is my favorite part of the whole attraction. If you just pass through the beginning parts of RotR that’s not how I want to experience it. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes