Raya and the Last Dragon

No spoilers here but… this was a fantastic movie! I know the price is steep but so worth it! Also, the cost is a digital purchase and we are definitely going to be rewatching this many times so that makes it extra worth it!

5 Likes

Saw it in a theater today and am totally obsessed!!

5 Likes

We watched it in the theater today and loved it! DD2 was terrified by the sound and didn’t make it through the trailers and had to be taken outside, so we bought it on Disney+ and watched it again tonight so my wife could watch it. Kids (ages 4-9) were more attentive than they’ve ever been for a movie in a theater (this was our first trip back to a theater with them since pre-Covid days - maybe Frozen 2?).

5 Likes

I’m glad you posted,… my kids are 4 and 7. Without spoilers anything to be cautious of? I was wondering how this age would like it, and I want to see it because it looks amazing!!!

3 Likes

Beautifully animated film with such a positive message, was so much fun to take my kids to the movies to see it for the first time since before the pandemic

1 Like

The movie is about as intense as other Disney movies - Frozen, etc. It has some typical suspense and battle sequences. Nothing extra scary. We saw it in a Dolby theater at AMC, which is equipped with speakers in the seats that really rumble, so that’s what scared DD2. She watched the movie at home with no issues.

1 Like

Okay great! They can handle pretty much any kid Disney movie, so good to know! I was hoping it wouldn’t be more intense. Thanks for the summary!

1 Like

This new photo Op mural was added yesterday in the Downtown Disney Anaheim

5 Likes

We paid for premier access on Disney +. Loved it!

4 Likes

Disney is so smart to make a princess movie like this- it’s exactly the type of movie that I love for my daughter (and son’s too) to watch. The characters were so endearing! I found a cute Tuk tuk plush that rolls up online at target for $12 that will definitely be going in DS3 basket next month!

3 Likes

I disagree about the cost being steep. Most families would spend well upwards of this to see the movie ONCE in the theatre.

2 Likes

I think it depends on party size, region, etc. as well as if you buy snacks at the theater. I know with the newly reopened AMC theaters in NYC, shows up to like 5pm are 30% off.

I have A-List, so with that I get up to 3 movies every week on any of their screens for less than paying for it on Disney+. Plus I got to see this one on the big screen. Even living in NYC where our movies are higher, if I didn’t have A-List, the only way as a solo I’d come close to matching the cost of renting it on D+ would be to see a night show on IMAX.

I’ll get the BluRay when it comes out, but honestly this is one where I think seeing it on the big screen is worth it for the exquisiteness of the animation.

When you say “typical,” can you give me a comparison? I’m loving the reviews here but when we watched the trailer with DD5, my husband and I both felt like there was way too big an emphasis on fighting/violence. We’re fine with some, but if the whole movie is that (and maybe it’s not - maybe it’s just the trailer) then it’s not for us. DD5 has not yet made it through the animated Mulan because she didn’t like the fighting. But like the few snippets of fighting in Frozen 2 were/are fine. And she’s seen other depictions of violence in like the Minion and Despicable Me stories, so that you have a frame of reference foe our tolerance!

2 Likes

I totally agree! It’s way cheaper for us to pay the $30 at home than go to the movie theater but my family has 5 members. I imagine that some smaller households would think the price may be steep.

1 Like

I read through every movie on movieguide.org. (Note that It is a faith based site, but it breaks down where it has issues so you can determine for yourself what you think is best for your family. They look at sex, violence, language, and nudity and then offer their worldview info, too.)

I don’t mind knowing movie spoilers, but they do warn if they are about to spoil something.

YMMV.

We will watch it when it’s not premium. $30 is more than I want to spend on it.

2 Likes

There is minimal fighting and violence, and what you see in the trailer is about the extent of it (those scenes draw out a bit longer of course). I wasn’t really watching it from the perspective of trying to catalogue everything violent, so others may disagree. Basically there are a couple of close sword fights and some chase scenes. Also some general destruction and peril.

1 Like

Just to add, there are fewer scenes of violence than Mulan, and the violence is on a smaller scale (typically one on one) and less disturbing. But due to improvements in animation, etc., those few scenes may feel more intense, especially in a theater.

2 Likes

My kids are also 4 and 7, we watched it yesterday and they really enjoyed it and it held their attention all the way through, which is saying a lot.

4 Likes

We watched it last night with my sister’s family. I loved it! My nephew (6) is a very anxious kid, and he struggled with the intense scenes. His sister (2), though, loved it all! And my kids (8 and 13) enjoyed it, too.
So, I’d say, you have to know your kids. Poor nephew kept saying “I can’t watch this. I can’t do this”. He’d leave for a minute, and then come back. He didn’t want to go home, but was so anxious about what was going to happen next. He made it through, and I have to say, I think it got easier once he knew the “players” and what to expect.
Now that he’s seen it, I suspect he’d be able to watch it again, no problem.

2 Likes

My son is like this sometimes, but not for violence / intense scenes. It’s always when someone is doing something embarrassing. :joy: Like there was a part of a movie where the main character was lying and was going to be found out. He feels crippling vicarious embarrassment and has to hide during those kinds of scenes.

3 Likes