Raya and the Last Dragon

I relate to this so much! He may be just a highly sensitive person which can cause anxiety in certain situations. Once I know that the characters I’m investing in are going to be okay, I can relax and enjoy the movie. When I was your nephew’s age, I would get stress/anxiety related stomach aches. I’m not a terribly anxious person, but I’ve learned to shield myself from situations that cause me to feel too deeply. For instance nature documentaries that show animals suffering in any way.

2 Likes

My sons (5 & 7) loved it. I did as well.

As far as appropriateness for young children, it would mostly be violence and death that would be the issue. No sexual content or swearing. There are some fight scenes (no blood, mostly one-on-one). There is a skeleton of a person in one scene. There are some deaths. Some children are orphans. Some of these scenes or issues could be scary to some children. My kids were both fine.

1 Like

haha! My son does this when there’s romance. I think it’s just because he’s 13! Kissing is SO EMBARASSING.

He does, too. :frowning: I’m glad to hear you’ve learned to work with it (and around it). I’m hoping for the same for him.

3 Likes

Good to know! Thanks

This is me even as an adult.

3 Likes

It’s why I often read spoilers. I can relax and enjoy it then. My DD said she could not enjoy Soul whatsoever bc she was so anxious something that went against her beliefs would transpire. She had to get through it once before she could watch to enjoy it.

3 Likes

I get so invested in shows/movies/etc that I seriously drive myself crazy. Spoilers are what allows me to enjoy the show, because I know what to expect. I feel like this is directly related to having severe anxiety but I seriously love reading spoilers.

1 Like

Yes. It’s like watching the movie after reading the book. It doesn’t really ruin it for me. I understand it better and I am more relaxed.

1 Like

My problem with that is if I loved the book, the movie almost never lives up to it and then I’m disappointed.

2 Likes

I see that. In the case of just prepping for a movie though I like to read the spoilers.

1 Like

My whole family loved it, we have a 5 and 7 year old. I have an incredibly sensitive 7 year old and he loved it, there was only one I’m scared and it was like once. We literally did not make it more than 10 mins into onward for reference.

2 Likes

That is a perfect comparison. Ok good to know. My youngest watched onward but was a little dark sometimes, thank you!

Question…can you download Raya on Disney+ immediately after you buy the premier access? Or do you have to stream it?

You can download it or stream it.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you.

10 Likes

This feels SO, SO true. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Soooo true! :joy: Although I fear that I am more like the second image when it comes to all things Disney… trips, movies, ShopDisney merch…

1 Like

The very first movie I took my boys (2 and 3 at the time) was veggie tales. We were late and came between the trailers and the actual movie. The movie opened up with the veggies fighting as pirates. My youngest wanted none of that and we left the theater. We went to the bathroom to collect ourselves and as we were about to try and go back in, DH walked out with my oldest shaking his head. I will never forget asking the manager for a refund and him asking what movie and why. I told him “veggie tales because it is too scary for my boys.” The blank look he gave me was priceless!

3 Likes

The first movie my parents took me to was Bambi (they had decided what age to take me, and that was the re-release that year). I loved aspects of it, but spent the forest fire scene jumping up and down yelling “Run Bambi! Run!” (My sister lucked out with Cinderella being the re-release her year.)

1 Like