Ranking the Jurassic Park / World movies

I don’t disagree. It’s just that I can enjoy movies that don’t take themselves seriously. I mean, the Jurassic World movies really leaned into that with the trainable raptors and such. If you can’t beat the original, might as well have a little fun.

You’ve just described a plot line from JP3.

The Lost World is the one with the trailers on the cliff, “don’t go into the long grass,” and the raptors at the old facility. I found those sequences terrifying as a kid. The digging raptor still spooks me.

The other reason I like TLW is because it is the only other one with a score by John Williams, which elevates it instantly.

1 Like

Generally I like Crichton’s books. And I’d read Jurassic Park before seeing the movie. I’d also read Lost World before seeing the second Jurassic Park movie.

These two books and movies are excellent for teaching. They give plenty of fodder for comparing story telling concepts.

Highly recommend your reading both in case you’re interested in using these yourself.

1 Like

Oh, that’s right. My bad.

1 Like

A work friend is reading it now. Since he watched the movie first, he didn’t like the variations between movie/book. But for you, it might be fine!

1 Like

Those weren’t really “having a little fun”, but taking liberties. The movies are FULL of liberties. Velociraptors, just as one example, were roughly the size of turkeys in real life, not nearly the size they were in any of the movies. But how menacing would that be? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great thread. Thanks @sanstitre_has_left_the_building.

Pretty much. I think 1st and 2nd place are set in stone, and the rest are fluid based on some personal preference here and there. I would accept any ordering of the bottom 4. Was hoping for a better JW3 script, but it was fun at least.

I see this a lot in the forum and wonder about a correlation with Disney fans and horror. There has to be others like me somewhere. I LOVE horror, and hope to be legitimately scared and feel a heightened sense of dread. I have a morbid (maybe unhealthy) curiosity about characters facing absolute terror and death in the worst way and being pushed to their psychological limits, and seeing how they make choices and either step up to the challenge or fail under the stress.

Also interesting to try to get inside the killer’s head to see what makes them tick or if they are just an indiscriminate machine.

Not for everyone, and the ones that fail to hit the mark fail pretty miserably and laughably (like 80+% of them), but even some of those have their place as cult classics, and the ones I consider good/effective are enough to love the genre.

2 Likes

I don’t generally like horror. I’m okay with psychological thriller/suspense, etc.

BUT, I’ve become a huge fan of Stranger Things. It has horror aspects of it, but it is just the whole package. So, when the story is done well, I’m okay with horror, I guess!

2 Likes

Yes. Horror done really well. The campy feel of 80s slasher flicks but with good and interesting characters, better acting, and a duration that gave the writers a lot of flexibility to allow for relationship depth and big themes. We’ve loved the whole series too.

I love Disney and really like Horror movies as well, but it’s the element of the fantastic that appeals to me. I’m a fan of horror movies like ‘The Ring’, ‘The Game’, ‘Seven’, ‘Pitch Black’ and ‘Alien’.

I love seeing something in a movie that I haven’t seen before, and even better when it’s colourful. Big Fish, Amelie, Lord of the Rings, The Fall, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Return of the Jedi, Doctor Strange - those are some of the best in my opinion. Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, and David Fincher are pretty much ‘can’t-miss’ for me in their movies.

Stranger Things has been tough for me to appreciate (despite being an old-school D&D nerd), although I’m starting to recognize that the fourth season takes it to a different level.

To me there is such a large gap between JP, JW and the sequels that it is difficult to rank. I could put JW3 as the top sequel, but given that I’ve only seen it once, I’m not sure how it’s going to hold up on re-viewings. I didn’t find any of the sequels particularly compelling.

3 Likes

Both my wife and I ranked the fourth season as our least favorite of the series. BUT, this is to the horror (pun intended) of our kids, who felt season 4 was the best. I’m struggling to understand why there is so much love for season 4 compared to the previous seasons. And…avoiding season 4 spoilers here…

All of the stuff taking place in Russia just seemed like fluff and an unnecessary waste of screen time, with the characters there feeling too much like caricatures.

Anyhow, maybe if I watch season 4 again, I’ll have a different opinion. We’ve watched seasons 1 through 3 three times now, and never felt bored. The last two episodes of season 4, however? We found ourselves frequently checking the time to see how much longer there was left before it was over.

1 Like

Your experience with season 4 doesn’t surprise me at all - it’s a completely different type of storytelling, character development, and structure as seasons 1-3.

I always thought the show was overrated, and mostly watched seasons 1-3 to have common ground with co-workers. There were no rewatches, and no desire to ever re-watch them. I’m going at a slow pace through season 4, and finding it the most enjoyable of all of them for me. It’s almost a completely different show. For me, that’s a good thing, but for people who enjoyed seasons 1-3, I’m sure it’s jarring and perhaps far less enjoyable.

Have you ever watched the series Des with David Tennant portraying a real serial killer? If not, I recommend it to you.

1 Like

I like the horror elements the best with S4 (snapping limbs while levitating ups the terrifying factor a bit), but agree it’s overall so different than 1-3.

And with @ryan1 on too much screen time in Russia. We get the point of what Hopper is going through, and all those drawn out scenes don’t add that much until the final getaway and killing of the monsters.

I think it’s important to train kids with a bit of horror as it’s good for their development to be able to recognize what is real fear and what is in their head. Film is an interesting way to process emotions in general.

However, I discovered long ago (after going along with friends in high school and college to horror films one too many times) that I just don’t like actual terror. Things that could happen in real life but that are horrifically gruesome - chain saws, falling from heights, etc. I also dislike demonic horror. I just don’t enjoy those feelings at all.

Fantastic thrills, suspense, and being “scared” can be fun for me, as long as I know it’s all for fun. Dinosaurs no longer exist, so it’s a fear that never really gets to my head. Also the movies are generally done in a way that isn’t over the top with blood or gore.

3 Likes

Same here. Hate horror movies. Jurassic Park is one of my top five movies.

Well…technically alligators, crocodiles, and perhaps komodo dragons would qualify as dinosaurs. We just don’t typically think of them as such!

1 Like

Apparently chickens are the closest to dinosaurs you can get in a currently existing species :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Chickens and dinosaurs aren’t related. So, no. (Previous findings where they thought there was evidence of feathers on dinosaurs have been debunked and determined to be collagen fibers from decaying skin. But that hasn’t stopped filmmakers from propagating the idea to the point of being accepted as true.)

2 Likes

Seriously. Chickens have not evolved from prehistoric times. They are still the same now as when they lived then.

2 Likes

I think we need links to reputable, recent literature on the subject. As much as we love dinosaurs, we are not paleontologists.

1 Like