Ranking the Jurassic Park / World movies

This article has a bunch of links to scientific papers. Article was written in 2022.

Excerpt:

Chickens are avian dinosaurs, the only type of dinosaurs to survive the mass extinction. Avian dinosaurs are theropods, just like the T-rex. However, that doesn’t mean chickens directly evolved from the Tyrannosaurus. Science only knows they are related and share some traits in their build, including a wishbone.

1 Like

But we listen to podcasts about dinosaurs. Or at least I did once :rofl::rofl:

Seriously, a chicken is more dinosaur than…

Those have all evolved into what they are now. Chickens are still the same as the chickens that fed the T-Rexes*!!!

*Or whatever ‘dinosaur’ was about then that ate chickens :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Dinosaur means “terrible/monstrous lizard/reptile”.

Alligators meet this definition unequivocally. It is just we tend to think of dinosaurs as being extinct. They aren’t. Most are, but we still have “terrible lizards” alive and well.

3 Likes

Aliens is one of my top five ever movies. I’ve seen it so many times. Oddly, I don’t see it as a horror movie. To me it’s sci-fi. I don’t find it scary.

2 Likes

When kids get stolen or hurt - simply the worst worst worst for me. The news is horrible enough. Making it a movie could is NO NO NO

And to me demonic falls directly into “could happen.” So no no no.

1 Like

There’s a definite line for me. I mean, almost any movie has children in peril. I know when the line is crossed, but couldn’t put my finger on it.

Not too long ago, I watched “Poseidon,” an awful remake of that awful 70s movie, The Poseidon Adventure. I like disaster movies (guilty pleasure) so I thought I’d like it.

I was so angry at the movie because of the way it treated one of the child characters. It was just so disproportionate to the rest of the movie - it’s one thing to have that sort of thing in Schindler’s List, but not in a popcorn movie.

Spoiler:

At one point a boy gets separated from his mother and they are on opposite sides of a grate so she can see him but can’t help him as he is drowning. The film makes the viewers think the child has died, but then somehow he is saved by someone on the other side. Totally manipulative. I was not emotionally prepared to see that in that kind of movie.

One of our guilty pleasures are disaster movies as well…but as such, we enjoyed BOTH Poseidon versions. They were utterly formulaic. Which is what is expected in such a flick! :slight_smile: For similar reasons, we enjoy watching movies such as Deep Impact, Volcano, Dante’s Peak, Earthquake, The Wave (which was surprisingly good), Daylight, The Day After Tomorrow, and yes, both Poseidon’s. Are they good movies? Nah. Doesn’t stop us from enjoying them! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like all of these. (I’ve never seen The Wave that I know of …)

You might know the movie under its new title of “Steakhouse 71.” :rofl:

4 Likes

We were really surprised at how good it was for a disaster film. (There was later a sequel, which was okay, but not nearly as good.) It is actually a foreign film.

2 Likes

My rankings of the JP movies. I love the original and actually don’t hate the World trilogy!

3 Likes

Which is why I can’t watch Finding Nemo.

1 Like

Oh god. I could totally come to your house for movie night. I love all those.

1 Like

I loved the whole disaster decade, too.

I was thinking more ConAir

2 Likes