Qwerty needs help USO/IOA - 96% of a plan - and we are very excited!

I need a minimum of four rooms and five is ideal. If my mom comes 5 is necessary unless there is some very creative layout.
We had three in SoCal 2018.

I had four teens (2 boys 2 girls) in a room with one bunk and a single with a trundle and my mom shared a double with 5 yo while 8 yo slept on futon.

We made it work but my kids are physically much larger now.

3 Likes

We really liked our house in Mayā€¦just the drive was annoying. But definitely worth it for us to have 4 bedrooms (sleeping for 8) and private pool, etc. Given the price.

Then again, last August, it was nice being on property in the Surfside Inn family suite from a proximity standpoint.

2 Likes

We are just sitting here (Dh and I) looking at Cabana Bay. I am worried that we will be so sad leaving for a rental afterward.

Would you mind PMing the link to the house you rented if you think it is a good option?

The last place we stayed for MVMCP in 2019 would be ok, as long as my mom is a definite no.

Sure. I will look it upā€¦

1 Like

Wait - is this shawthorne? (Sorry I am probably spelling this wrongā€¦)

Youā€™re right, I clearly remember Shawthorne up thread.

What is going on with profile names :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, I donā€™t care either way. But mine did change recently. Well, what is seen changed recently. I had actually made the change a long time ago.

So weird.
And so glad I know whom I am taking to. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

YAY - I booked a vacation rental for 5/16-5/22! Going to stay at Storey Lake for the first time. It has its own lazy river, zero-depth entry pool, and a few slides.

Now I need to wait for Cabana Bay 5/14-5/16.

Plan is to just enjoy the resort and City Walk Saturday and Sunday and start touring Monday. Probably two park days and then a Storey Lake rest day. Then tour park and do VB and have one last rest day. I have dozens and dozens of BB and TL days left on our old non-expiry passes if we want to do something that last Saturday.

Itā€™s funny how my family is not reacting to this with any degree of enthusiasm. Most have expressed they will believe it when they see it. There have been so many disappointments over the last 21 monthsā€¦ I confess I am even super hesitant to get excited. I even see where I am using low-key talk when telling my 8 yo why I am looking at Universal online. Itā€™s like Iā€™m afraid to set her up for one more disappointment.

8 Likes

I would reserve a room at a regular rate now and then book at a discounted rate when they become available. You can easily cancel the regular rate but at least youā€™ll have a room locked in just in case no discount is offered. Itā€™s possible regular rates could increase.

4 Likes

Ooooo.
Ok.
Thank you!

Can I later apply an AP rate if I get an AP later and see a rate offer?

2 Likes

Yes you can do that. (And you donā€™t have to have the AP in your possession to book an AP rate. You just have to have the AP when you check in.)

Edit: to clarify, you have to do a new booking under the AP rate. You canā€™t switch your existing reservation to an AP rate. At least not easily. (Maybe they can do it if you call.)

4 Likes

@ryan1 in your experience is there any chance a peanut allergic person can get something at VooDoo Donuts, or is that too much to hope for?

Last year, when I had a dining credit attached to a reservation at the Be a Savvy Traveler rate. When the APH rates came. out, I called up Royal Pacific and asked if they could rebook under the new rate. They were able to. I had to give my credit card number to the agent on the phone. My deposit was the same, and so was the reservation number. When that trip was canceled, I got the full refund I initially booked, even though the reservation page had the new price as the required deposit.

When the price dropped a little more, it was easy to call them up and apply the new lower rate. This time they didnā€™t require my credit card number again.

4 Likes

We got donuts, but not for the kids. We canā€™t trust anything made in a bakery.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to hear about all the disappointments, but ditto here. I started getting excited again about the Alaska cruise I booked for summer 2020, then 21, and now 22ā€¦but then Omicron. Now Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll go, but I do have until late spring to decide. I think the group will go without me this time though. I hope you get to go and have a wonderful time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Revisiting this thread.

So - if I buy an AP right now, it wonā€™t start til I use it for the first day, correct?
But I still can book an AP rate, anytime?
But I should go ahead and book the rooms I want now, and then once I see AP rates I want, book new rooms and then cancel the old rooms?
Why should I book rooms now, then?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thank you.
I can say that even two+ weeks later my kids havenā€™t mounted any enthusiasm. It is 100% like no one believes this is going to happen. I hate that covid has done that to us. I think after Christmas, I am going to start talking it up. Maybe watch some YouTube on Roku. As of right now USO seems a great fit for us. I really donā€™t want to lose this trip, too.

1 Like

Is the only place to buy APā€™s directly from Universal?

Does anyone know how much parking is? Is it well worth it to buy the Preferred if we are parking there? It is $110 more for Preferred than basic.

And if we go to Cabana Bay our first two trip days, and then move off-site, will I be able to get my AP ā€œstartedā€ during the hotel stay and have it ready to use for parking once we start doing park days?

To make sure you actually have rooms.

For example, when the early Feb 2021 AP hotel rates were announced I hadnā€™t had a trip planned. But, we did have APā€™s so I pondered for about two days. When I went to book, not only were there no AP rate rooms, there werenā€™t any rooms at the hotel I wanted period.

If you want to straight up by passes, you do that through Universal. The other option is to buy a ticket from a discount seller, use them, and then on the second day upgrade to a pass. You should be able to keep the discount and get credit for the full-price. But, if you do like I did, and upgrade before using, they are able to figure out how much you paid, and you only get credit for what you paid.

Yes, the AP starts when first used.

I seem to remember parking was $25/day but that was over a year ago. We had preferred passes so I didnā€™t pay attention.

Remember only one person needs a pass to get the hotel discount and only one person needs to be preferred to get the free parking. Although it does have to be someone in the car. They ask for ID at the parking gate.

2 Likes