Qwerty needs help USO/IOA - 96% of a plan - and we are very excited!

What about glasses? On the 3 rides that don’t allow anything. I would guess they are allowed, but would it be a good idea to get some sort of band to help them stay on your head? Losing glasses on a vacation would really be annoying at best!

I was wondering about that, and what if you need your phone for a medical reason, like for a continuous glucose monitor?

1 Like

I think you just wouldn’t be able to ride. It’s a safety issue.

1 Like

Glasses are allowed. They should be fine unless you have an issue with them being looser than they should be. But I would guess some people like to take off just in case. I’ve been on other wicked coasters and had no problems.

2 Likes

I wasn’t even allowed to wear my insulin pump on RRR! Even after demonstrating there was no way it was going to fall off. So they are absolutely strict about not allowing anything on those three rides. (Note: they would have allowed me to keep my pump on if I could keep it in inside a ZIPPERED pocket…but I felt that risked, too much, having the infusion set ending up pulled out so I decided to just take off the pump entirely.)

5 Likes

I always wear a glasses band on coasters. Plenty of people don’t…but I have personally watched glasses fly off the faces of fellow coaster riders, so better to be safe than sorry.

4 Likes

The reason they are so strict is that a flying phone literally took someone’s eye out.

2 Likes

@QwertySC double check the bowling opening time. I thought it was 5pm.

2 Likes

36" to 56". Anyone over 56" must be accompanied by a child.

1 Like

Regarding all the rollercoaster safely measures and loose items…
This is something I plan to ask the orthodontist, but does anyone here know if it’s ok to wear braces (functional appliance type) on rollercoasters?

I want to know what ride shakes out retainers so I can avoid that.

I am trying not to bust out laughing as DD11 is sitting behind me trying to take her standardized testing.

3 Likes

Ok. I have a few that can go on that.

Where should I check? I’m so confused. (And still laughing.)

1 Like

I’m also confused. This confirms 5pm, but also throws 3pm out. I’ve never seen anywhere mention that it opens that early before :thinking::thinking:

Thanks. It was a hypothetical question. You wouldn’t see me ride any of those rides. I’d be no good to anyone for the rest of the trip. LOL!

Wow. Interesting choice.

Well, that is awful. Okay.

2 Likes

Well, in my PREVIOUS trip, I just didn’t get to ride. I wasn’t about to risk having my infusion torn off because of the extra pull on the tubing when the pump in my pocket. If that would happen, I would have to leave the park immediately and go back to where we were staying and put in a new infusion set.

Taking off the pump is easy enough, and all I have to do is give enough bolus of insulin to cover the amount I would miss while in line. For a wait time less than an hour or so, it has minimal, if any, impact on my blood sugar levels. If the wait was longer than that, I’d be a little more concerned.

It is better on VC, because the lockers are much closer to the point you actually board the trains, so I’m without the pump for a shorter amount of time.

All in all, while I understand why they have the rule, I still find it irritating because I’ve literally been on more than 100 different coasters (probably ridden coasters more than 1000 times) while wearing my pump, and most of those more intense than anything at Universal. It has never been an issue. But Universal is the ONLY park that has basically insisted I remove the pump, or keep it zipped up in a zippered pocket. (In fact, I actually rode Hulk and RRR with the pump years before, until they instituted this rule.)

4 Likes

Oh I knew you weren’t talking about yourself, I also meant the hypothetical person who couldn’t be without their phone.

2 Likes

That is still really scary, though. What if the ride stopped and you were stuck for longer than you anticipated for? I think that would be a safety issue as well, and one that couldn’t easily be explained away by Universal if it happened. And it’s not like you could contact anyone while stuck. I would have to question their policy if it were me.

While I share your concern, they get to make the policy. The rider has to make the choice if they ride or not. My cousin is a paraplegic (technically a quad) and he can go on a lot of things, but there are a few he just can not ride. They just can’t make every ride work for every person. :frowning:

3 Likes

I actually did…both in the park, and through more official channels, but to no avail. Basically, it is my choice to ride. If, for example, I have a bad back and decide to ride, that is on me, not them. So, I guess they kind of see this the same way. Still, so annoying.

2 Likes