Questions for potential new buyer

Hi there. I have been exploring buying DVC and trying to get all caught up on the lingo (thanks to @Julianne_fki @Dreamer and @JustKeepSmiling). They have answered many questions for me, but they too have busy lives so I hate to always be bothering them. Of course I would be happy if they still come here and answer. :rofl:
Anyway, I am pretty set on buying direct at Disneyland Villas, but today really started looking at resale contracts (for all properties, not just DLV) and wow, they seem so cheap in comparison. I visit both coasts frequently so have been thinking about 150 points direct at DLV and then another 100ish points resale at a WDW property.
So my first question is, do I really need to buy direct? Is there basically no chance of booking something at DLV at 7 months (or are there restrictions there, I am unsure about which resorts have restrictions)?
Thanks!

2 Likes

I think DLH is a big question mark right now as to availability at 7 months. However, you will never be able to book there with resale points for another resort. It would have to be direct points or resale points for DLH. But those DLH resale points can ONLY be used there. I decided to buy DLH direct because that’s where I know I will want to stay in the future, but I knew I didn’t want to be locked into only staying there which would happen with resale points. I could see myself buying a few more points resale at DLH however. I think I could make that work!

You do have the option of buying resale first and then adding on direct in smaller increments. If you buy direct to start, it has to be at least 150 points. If you are already a member via resale, you can add on as few as 50 points. And it doesn’t have to be in increments of 50. You could add on 75 or 80 points, if you wanted. Without the 150 direct, you don’t qualify for benefits, but I don’t think that is a huge deal. It is a cheaper AP at WDW and some member lounges. And maybe, just maybe, Moonlight Magic.

4 Likes

Thanks, friend. I tried to absorb everything you guys told me, but there are some holes in my memory. :rofl:

This is what I needed to know. I think I would want the flexibility to book at both coasts as well. Thanks!

I am sure I will have many more questions as I dive in deeper.

3 Likes

I think you can still buy 100 direct points Direct Minimum for DVC Purchases Decreased to 100 Points - DVC Fan

But you would not get full direct “blue card” benefits.

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

These are all the points I was going to make - very thorough!

With new properties coming online, I think anither benefit of direct points is being able to book those new properties. But if you want to use points lots of places, buying.some direct and some resale makes a lot of sense.

The biggest benefit of having a blue card is the ability to buy the Sorcer’s Pass instead of the Incredipass. That’s a $450 difference, which can add up quickly.

3 Likes

You do have to keep in mind that you would need direct points to book at both GCV or DLVs. If you buy the Disneyland Villas there is also a nightly point fee on that resort.

DVCHelp.com

If you use those points at any wdw resort you would not pay those fees.

I am a direct owner and I am hopeful that when I want to I will be able to book at the Disneyland or FE Cabins at 7 months. I have decided not to purchase at a new resort with resale restrictions but I think if I lived on the west coast I might think differently about that resort.

2 Likes

Thanks Heather. I think a mix of direct and resale are the way to go if we do buy. I wish there was also a discount on the magic keys, we did see a sign in the DVC lounge at DL that said if you bought one you could save a whopping $20. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Agree, since I live on the west coast and love DLR so much, it makes sense to me. If I was an east coaster, would probably not buy at DLV or GCV. It’s a whole lot cheaper to fly to CA for me, plus my son is in San Diego so extra bonus there.

3 Likes

If you buy at Disneyland Resort have you thought about how you will set up the deed? Do you think you will someday sell it? (The resale restrictions are tough) Or will you plan on buying two contracts at some point and put your children’s names on them?

It is easier for me since I only have one son. Even with that, we have been talking about if I should plan on selling my contracts or if it is something he will really want to inherit. I am much older than you but I wanted to mention it.

4 Likes

Thank you for that. I have only thought about it briefly. We have various assets including boats that are worth about 40K each, so need to figure out how to split all of that evenly. I am not sure who would appreciate the DVC more, or even if they would want it.

Is that just because the points can only be used at DLV? Any other reasons the resale restrictions are tough?

1 Like

It is because the new owner can only use the points at that resort (paying thatbtransient fee every stay). When the 2042 resorts expire it will reduce the other resale options but if you buy resale at CCV, Poly, GFV, Aulani for example you can book at all of those resorts plus BLT, OKW, SSR for years, (I know I must be missing some non 2042 resorts).

1 Like

This is what makes the new Poly points so very attractive if they offer good incentives. Last chance to buy direct at a WDW resort without the resale restrictions.

@wahoohkie I think the biggest question, that we can’t really answer yet, is what will the availability at DLH be like at 7 months once the points have all sold out? If it is easy to get in at 7 months, I would buy somewhere else. But if not, it makes so much sense for you to buy there. This is why I own a 50 point BCV contract - you can rarely book there at 7 months…

3 Likes

Do you have a crystal ball by chance? :grin:

1 Like

I have a magic 8 ball! @discobot fortune

2 Likes

:crystal_ball: Don’t count on it

2 Likes

There you go - the discobot says you should buy some direct points at Disneyland!

2 Likes

In your situation, I would buy the 150 direct for DLV since you want to stay there specifically and it is going to be hard to book at 7 months. You could wait for resale but based on what I know about your financial situation, you can probably afford the premium to get all the benefits (Sorcerer Pass, discounts, etc.)

For any points above 150, I would recommend resale (unless there is another hard-to-book resort you must have points for). Resale is so much cheaper and you can get more points, thus being able to book more nights at better accommodations.

Personally, I only own resale because the resorts / categories I am most likely to book are usually available at 7 months, and I’d rather go with quantity than have a specific resort available.

4 Likes

I don’t think I trust that discobot too much. :rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, I can buy direct that isn’t an issue. I’m just a bargain shopper and cheap about a lot of things so I don’t want to feel ripped off. :rofl:
I initially said I wanted to buy 200ish points direct and the girls set me straight on getting less there and buying a WDW based property resale as well.

5 Likes