Questions about Changing Hotel Reservation with Three Weeks to Go

Getting ready for my first trip to WDW with my Husband. We have a six-night reservation bought as a Disney+ package with 5-day park tickets. We chose POR. Which we are happy with. We started this process late so didn’t get any DVC rentals but we did try at first.

I for the life of me can’t find exactly what we can and can’t cancel, but I thought I could up to 5 days before check-in, but just can’t find that confirmation (I saw it in a thread too).

If I find a better option for a hotel on Disney’s website, can I book and then cancel POR?

If I find a DVC rental, can I book, connect to my reservation and then cancel POR?

What if I want to split my hotel time and keep POR for the first 3 days, but pivot to another one?

Thank you in advance, getting super excited, ready to take on the parks!

1 Like

Here is the cancellation info page for packages:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/terms-conditions-package-2022/

1 Like

I answered my own question. If you booked a package with tickets included then you will have a fee if you cancel within 30 days of arrival.

Edit: if you find something and you want to do a split-stay then you can shorten your trip, but there’s still a fee.

2 Likes

Since you booked in a package and you’re within 30 days of your travel, you can’t make any changes or cancelations without incurring a fee. It still may be worth it to make the change, but decoupling your hotel from tickets may require a call. They may make you just buy tickets separately, but hopefully keep your APRs.

Here is the verbiage from the website link I posted above:

Cancellation and Refunds

• For cancellations made 30 days or more prior to guest arrival , amounts paid, minus cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, non-refundable runDisney race registrations, non-refundable travel protection plan costs, and other amounts owed, will be refunded.

• For cancellations made 2 days to 29 days prior to guest arrival , amounts paid, minus a cancellation fee of $200.00 per package and minus any cancellation fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers, non-refundable runDisney race registrations, non-refundable travel protection plan costs and other amounts owed, will be refunded.

• For cancellations made 1 day or less prior to guest arrival or for no-shows , the full price of the package is non-refundable.

• Changes to Reservation – Changes to reservation, including but not limited to change in travel dates, length of stay, party size or hotel accommodations, are subject to availability and the prices applicable at the time the change is requested and guest is responsible for paying any increase in price resulting from the change. In addition, changes made 30 days or less prior to guest arrival are also subject to a change fee of $50 per package plus any change fees assessed by third party hotels or other suppliers.

1 Like

Thank you very much! Can’t believe I couldn’t find it. Teaches me about the risk of the package.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick response. Makes sense can’t get the deal and then try to switch it up. I see the value of separating these things out. Once I felt comfortable I thought about all the possibilities.

1 Like

Thank you for the mention that it still might be worth it. I know I’ll still look. Might stumble upon something that makes it great. But we have a few ADRs I don’t want to lose. Yeah, a phone call would need to happen.

1 Like

I think we were remarking last week that there’s really zero benefit to booking a package right now. Sorry you got sucked in. :frowning_with_open_mouth:

3 Likes

Major Bummer! But I’ll know for next time! It was a last minute trip and I booked it so quick before my husband and I had time to rethink the decision :joy:

2 Likes

No matter what you won’t lose these! ADR’s are completely separate reservations from anything else. But you do need to make sure you have admission at all times or you could risk losing your park reservations.

One reason some people book packages is to have refundable tickets so they can make park reservations but not have to buy the tickets until closer to the trip. But that’s not as big a deal these days, and you need to cancel it before the 30-day mark to avoid the fee.

By the way, POR is a great resort and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed if that’s where you end up staying!

4 Likes

Thanks for the further explanations. And we are excited for POR thanks for the confirmation!

2 Likes

Also, I couldn’t say now, but before Covid the quick service place at POR was great. Lots of food choices and plenty of seating. :blush:

2 Likes

POR is such a beautiful resort!

4 Likes

I would call and ask. We had to change our June trip to later in the summer, and we were only two weeks from our trip with a package. I didn’t change hotels-just dates-but the trip ended up being slightly cheaper due to the Disney+ discount for August. The CM I spoke with on the phone was fantastic, and we ended up not being charged the $50/person to change our package. It doesn’t hurt to ask! Assuming you don’t spend all day on hold that is…:blush:

3 Likes

I think there is a difference between cancelling and modifying a package.

1 Like

This. A $200 deposit is more palatable than a higher room deposit plus purchase of non-refundable tickets to most people

2 Likes

Yes but per the terms they are still subject to a $50 change fee for modifications inside of 30 days.

That being said, many times they will waive this. Worth the ask. And also as mentioned, depending on what the change is, and why, $50 is not too hard to swallow really.

2 Likes

One advantage to booking a package is the option to make payments. I refer to it as Disney “layaway”. :laughing:

6 Likes

That is a good idea! It is tough to pay thousands of dollars for tickets and a room all at once.

2 Likes

Great to hear that. I may still poke around and you are right, it is worth the call and the ask if I do find something.