Purely For the Sake Of Research: A Solo Trip Report

:rofl: I think I’ll take the Mack a Demon Pants cakes instead.

14 Likes

Yep. I wasn’t going to mention that part. But yep. That’s when I saw my first glimmer. Mostly only then. And the full fledge panic attack (legit, not just the nonstop screaming of ToT) was on Submarines. The random claustrophobia with my fear of drowning…no good!

4 Likes

War Games. Loved that movie. Watched it more times than I can count. I even used scenes from it to highlight the research paper presentation I did in 12th grade on computer crime.

If it came out in 83, I was 10.

Now then…how about a game of Globothermal Nuclear War?

5 Likes

How about a nice game of chess?

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That’s dangerous. Could take us down to Defcon 3.

2 Likes

Ok which is it? :joy:

I wonder what they changed? I first rode in 2018 so I am only familiar with its current format.

3 Likes

Does Star Tours have different endings? I seem to think I saw something about that a while ago but don’t completely remember.

3 Likes

I was 15/16 in 1983.

I think it was just a change of the screens from 2K to 4K and possibly 60 fps to 120, not sure if anything else. It did seem crisper and improved to me in 2019 compared to the last time I had been there.

2 Likes

We’ll just tell @Jeff_AZ that he needs to try again because it’s “crisper” :joy:

6 Likes

Yes. At least it did when I last rode it. It might have changed.

1 Like

I was just going to say I don’t think that will help much. Let’s make the contrast sharper when we’re whipping you all over the place!

Also…now I have to ride it again. I’m going to put that Dramamine to the test!

2 Likes

It actually does make a difference. I think that’s part of the reason Star Tours makes me sicker than MFSR. Simpsons is one of the worst for me. I can do Mission Space Orange no problem though. That’s a different feeling than the normal motion simulator to me. And I found Green really boring so I’ll always be doing Orange. FoP made me sick for the first time last time and I was in the very last seat of the row against the wall which also ruined the illusion a bit. I could see the whole theater. I think where you in the simulator and screen clarity matters for nausea. I love the Void too and I thought it would have made me sick.

5 Likes

Oh…I’m with you. I get sick walking to the drinking fountain :rofl:

Seriously, UOR is HORRIBLE for my motion sickness. The “let’s put everyone in a box and shake them all over the place” be it FJ or Simpsons and I just can barely hold on, but it’s not pleasant.

RnRC at HS I was able to do 3 times in a row before I started feeling queasy. Roller coasters are mostly not a big deal but simulators…oh boy.

4 Likes

Star Tours has dozens of combinations of planets and other locations you can visit. So yes, the beginning, middle, and end are usually different from one ride to the next.

When I rode FJ in 2015, I swore I’d never ride it again. But then just last month I was reading the Unofficial Guide, and they mention that they changed the refresh rate as @Tall_Paul1 mentioned, and supposedly this reduces motion sickness. So depending on how adventurous I’m feeling, and if I can get more confirmation that it really is better, I may try it again at the end of a day sometime.

6 Likes

We lost @OBNurseNH… OB… are you out there… come in OB!

7 Likes

You have my attention!! I’ll make a deal with you. Whichever of us gets on there first reports back!

I’ll even go one day without the Dramamine so the data isn’t skewed!

3 Likes

Didn’t you hear about the beer flight? :wink:

3 Likes

Haha!

Ran into some friends in Epcot. Visiting.

17 Likes