Price Increases

I kinda did when I talked to the person who took my call this morning. I wasn’t as abrasive to her on the phone as I was in this post, but I did let her know this was the 2nd cancellation in 6 months due to ever increasing costs. And that yesterday’s announcements were the reason why I did it again now. All I got was a sheepish “I understand” response.

4 Likes

It would be nice if Disney created a survey that went out to folks who cancelled a vacation.

But I guess they probably don’t care.

5 Likes

YES THIS!
We go next week. I originally planned to use Genie+ 3 of our 5 park days so when we booked last spring I didn’t attach it to my package. Maybe I should have. I was going to use it on HS, MK, and HS/hopping to Epcot days. The other day is the Halloween party, other day is AK which I thought I could manage without. About a week ago I considered just getting it for AK too but now I am definitely not. I also just canceled a character dinner because that price increase is shocking to me. So there, Disney, you don’t get that extra $500 of mine lol.

But $270 for 3 days of Genie+ just went to $360 for my family of 6 (if it’s $20/day) Not crazy but add in all the other stuff (food increases, Halloween party tickets, if we get ILLs, etc) and it adds up.

This is me the last 24 hours!

But I know we’ll have a good time. I’m excited about the Halloween party, we’ve never been. I hope to just make it a fun trip with great memories.

1 Like

It took them one day to reject my cash back - so I guess that is a big “no!”

1 Like

I may have finally reached the point of being done, well soon. I find it remarkable how in a month or so i had 3 possible trips down to 1 very “downgraded” trip. I was prepared to buy an AP back when I still assumed they would be sold again at WDW, have a trip with 7-10 park days in December/January. Another trip for spring break with 6-7 park days and then a trip in June with 6-7 park days. Now Im down to 3 park days in the first week of January.

We will be in Orlando beginning December 27 and plan to do Disney related stuff like a monorail tour to see the Christmas decorations, mini golf and meals at resorts and DS. Its all scaled back allot with all the price increases. I told DW and she agrees that theres so many places we haven’t been all over the country, its time for some new places. After January we may not be back for awhile and when we do it may very well be Disneyland as we’ve never been there.

6 Likes

Well Mr Chapek, you have reached my family breaking point, so I guess your experiment is working for you…
The value for the money and stress level ratio no longer makes sense, which really bums me out because I want to continue to be a Disney Parks Fan but I’m throwing in the towel with these latest price hikes and changes. This is coming from a die-hard; Once or twice-a-year, large family with younger kids demographic. So Disney is not only losing me, they are losing 2 more generations of what would be Disney fans because of what I see as a short-term money grab on their part.
Awesome blogs/videos/support from folks like @touringplans and @DFB fill a necessary void that Disney has created but can’t make up for the “we’re going to charge more until they stop coming” attitude from Disney.
You Win Bob,… You Win.

9 Likes

Sorry it didn’t work, but i really appreciate the intel! My tickets are slightly cheaper thru Boardwalk tickets, but i would have gone with UT for the cash back.

1 Like

:frowning:

It’s so sad that this is the goal, isn’t it?

So short-sighted of them.

6 Likes

Reading everyone’s comments, as I am planning an April DLR trip, it occurs to me that sum total of all the current price increases (not just Disney) has pushed us to where these increases feel like the breaking point.

In addition to watching the continued “charging for what used to be free” and language on stockholder calls that is “not meant for the general public” I am also having sticker shock at flights and the cost other LA hotels.

These days I am stalking airline prices, other hotel prices rental car prices. To some success, but it is more stress and less fun.

So when Disney wipped out every penny I was saving on tickets (by carefully, painstakingly, stacking gift card deals) - it kind of broke me. Now that savings gets me back to even. There is little fun in that.

5 Likes

It appeared that they review them individually. It quickly went from $60 pending to nothing. That’s okay - their prices were the best I found.

If you are goin to WDW and not DLR - I have a convention link if you are interested in comparing prices (link is from my work)

2 Likes

This is so true! There are so few opportunities for savings left. Cash back and discounted gift cards are pretty much it. To be fair, i am feeling the pinch everywhere these days and my rapidly disaappearing 401K balance and increasing utility bills aren’t helping either. We will be cutting back significantly on our next trip, but my DD is 18 and there probably aren’t many opportunities for family vacations left.

5 Likes

Thanks. I would definitely be interested in the link. My Gmail is braydeb.

1 Like

This sound just like the posts I saw on Twitter today about the Blink-182 verified fan presale.

2 Likes

I was just their and everything stated is correct as far as price increases. You would think people would bulk at having to pay for Genie+ and Lightening Lane, but no, most purchase it at added cost, no problem. The one thing we did find helpful was that for a period of time if you had an AP, you could make purchases at 30% off instead of 20%. This we were told was only until Oct. 18th. 2022. We took advantage of this for items and drinks bought in Disney stores. However, the bad part is MNSSHP, where if you do not purchase tickets at $129 a piece they kick you out of the park at 6pm. This is your time they are cutting back on about three nights a week but Universal Fl. is even worse for HHN where they are every day except Monday. Here they kick you out of Universal Studios at 5pm and sometimes 3.30pm. Island of Adventure however, stays open until 8pm. Still you are losing time you paid for so they can make additional money.

1 Like

I know this is an old post, but I couldn’t help but wonder if you’d be interested in the incredibly ironic twist Disney took when I decided to actually do what you 1st suggested. To make a long story short, I decided to follow up my phone call with an email to guest relations explaining why I cancelled two resort stays this year. I tried to be polite, but also brutally honest, even referencing Chapek and D’Amaro’s public statements about raising prices, as to why I did that and why I also unsubscribed from future Disney emails. About a week later I received what I thought was a very respectful response signed by someone in guest relations who said they also took the time to share my feedback with “appropriate leaders in this area and that my concerns would be reviewed.” Well, that was last week. Yesterday I got another email from Disney. Only this time it was a satisfaction survey asking me to rate the support I received in their email response to my initial complaint (not why I cancelled a vacation as you wondered about)! :laughing:

Oh, and since unsubscribing from all Disney email communications, I still get marketing emails from them. Guess I need to send another email letting them know their “unsubscribe” link doesn’t work. :smiling_imp:

As Paul Harvey was famous for say, “Now you know the rest of the story.”

11 Likes

Oh you can’t make this stuff up.

You should send that to @len

1 Like

resume-shred

12 Likes

Y’all heard about a couple weeks ago when Jim Shull and Jim Hill tried to enter the MK and DHS, and got sent to EPCOT because their passes wouldn’t work?

17 Likes

Yep.

Can’t make that stuff up

I really commended him for not finally losing his cool and shouting, “Do you know who I am?!?!”

5 Likes

I thought that too. He seemed really dedicated, even in retirement, to understand the customer experience.

1 Like