Pre-trip airline anxiety

Is work misnaming it? If you can pick a seat youre prob earning miles

Maybe? Iā€™ll be happy if thatā€™s the case. I guess Iā€™ll find out after my upcoming trip. But the booking system called it Basic Economy, and the ā€œrulesā€ document for travel explicitly say that Basic Economy must be booked, and then also explicitly state that for Delta, booking Main Cabin/Comfort+ means I would have to pay the difference (which is not insignificant).

On the other hand, my seat assignment is also explicitly listed on the ticket information.

1 Like

That is strange. Fingers crossed cause those work miles can add up.

Oh gotcha.

Iā€™m right there with you. We are flying out of Boston on the second JetBlue flight on Easter morning. This trip was originally scheduled for April 2020. I just want to get down there. If the flight home is canceled we will figure something out. My husband said today we are not driving down there & back. I agree - I have about a 250 mile driving limit. Ch 5 news said JetBlue was down 600 flight attendants. If they are going to cancel I wish they would let us know sooner rather than later so we could snag an overpriced, connecting Delta flight.

Good luck to you! I really hope we all get down there.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I hope your flight goes as scheduled!

1 Like

I feel you, this JetBlue Logan situation is nonsense. I am so stressed about our late April flight. I would definitely do some research on which airports have both lots of flights out of Logan and lots of flights to MCO. Atlanta? DC? There are DC flights almost every hour but not sure how many in DC to MCO. I would be ready to book as two individual flights instead of one connecting. I think this would keep you ahead of the horde of people trying to reschedule.

2 Likes

I would be losing my mind if someone told me I couldnā€™t pick my seat for a work trip. With Basic Economy, you are pretty much getting a middle seat.

On United, you canā€™t bring a carry on in Basic Economy either (I always carry on my luggage for work trips).

Iā€™m hoping for you that someone writing your travel policy meant ā€œregular economyā€.

Iā€™d love it if work were willing to pay for anything for a work trip :wink:

2 Likes

Iā€™m beginning to think thatā€™s likely the caseā€¦because why else would my tickets already have a seat assignment listed on them? Iā€™m relieved if this is the case.

This is actually going to be my first business trip ever in my life. Well, although. I did have a short business trip that was across the state in Holland, MI many years ago, but I drove there, didnā€™t fly. I expect Iā€™ll be having perhaps two trips a year now.

2 Likes

Two words for you: Tax writeoff. :smiley:

2 Likes

Itā€™s never enough to matter given what the rest of our tax document looks like. Weā€™ve looked at that before.

Really? As an IC my work related writeoffs are always on top of whatever our standard deduction is. That stinks. :frowning:

I know - weā€™ve looked at it. And it never matters.

I was referencing my full time job, though. Not my TA work

1 Like

Me too.
Weā€™re taking SW because of an early morning direct flight at an insanely cheap rate. Iā€™m concerned about getting there. Itā€™s a short trip and having to add a drive the first day will be a mess. Weā€™d figure out something for the return (add a day, rent a car, take the train.

I have 2 neighbors who fly for SW. Theyā€™ve shared information about SWā€™s staffing practices (to minimize cost) can create chaos when there are delays and staff run up against federal rules of number of hours worked and time required between flights. Then, there is the problem of having people on the bench in the right locations to fill in if needed. Itā€™s seems like quite the logistical nightmare. There was a great article written by another SW pilot that explained it in much better detail, but I canā€™t find that now.

Girlfriend we need to talk.

3 Likes

We used Jetblue last month to get to MCO from NYC. Iā€™d booked them before the WSJ article that ranked them last and was worried, but decided to stick with them. Outbound flight was on time, return was delayed an hour due to weather but so were other airlines that day. They kept me informed of changes.

Also used them to MCO over last Xmas period. Outbound on time, return was canceled as were many other airlines at that time due to Omicron. They rebooked me to HPN regional airport, I called and said not acceptable, then they put me on the return flight I wanted. It ended up delayed due to an unruly pax that was removed (!) from the plane. Ended up landing in NYC at 1230am, took a long time to get checked bags bc of the late hour. But I blame the pax not JB. Iā€™m sticking with them - for now - bc of their greater seat room, free wifi, and good entertainment.

3 Likes

@mikejs78 sorry, actually Iā€™m going to take this back. Reading too many reports of JB stringing pax along and not canceling flights, just delaying repeatedly to avoid giving out vouchers, and making a lot of demands on their FAā€™s. Watched a video of their CEO and was not reassured. I just got a new JB credit card but I think Iā€™m going to bail on it. Too bad, they were a great airline once.

Iā€™m with you, @mikejs78. We are flying out of Worcester the second week of May and at least 50% of the 7:30 am flights out have been cancelled the past 10 days. Flights out of Logan have skyrocketed now (almost $800 one way!!!) so I donā€™t want to pay the difference for a maybe. Plus you know if I switch my flights now, then the worcester flight will go off without a hitch and the Logan one will be cancelled. I canā€™t even tell you how many times this particular trip has been changed on me by jet blue. 5? 7 times maybe? Enough for me to have a sub folder in my gmail for ā€œcancelled reservations!ā€

Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed for you though! Please jet blue gods- just let us make it down to Florida. We can figure out how to get home later!

5 Likes

If your Worcester flight does get cancelled, and you get notice, you can change to one of those $800 flights for free?

2 Likes