Post trip musings

Ugh, we had a scooter in February and I HATED having it to get around. My daughter did need a wheelchair a few days last month, but we just rented from Disney, and picked up a new one at each park. So much easier.

so sorry about your phone! Keeping my fingers crossed for a Disney miracle. I lost my magic band on that ride and it was in the bottom of the car. Whoops.

Time to plan another trip!

I will say, I’ve been in May, July, August, September and October of this year. October was my favorite weather.

July was NOT unbearable though. It was quite pleasant and downright wonderful compared to August and September! Forget May, it rained our entire trip (but we still had a magical time). Crowds were lovely in July.

4 Likes

This makes me very happy :smile:

1 Like

Have to say, I’m intrigued re the lower crowds in July. We went July tho many years ago, like 25-30. And it was the most crowded I’d ever seen Disney.

I’m wondering, what has changed. Interesting to hear that the July weather was better than August. We’ve been going late August or early September for most years.

Well, I like hot weather, but I realize I’m the only one on the planet haha. Had Ddil talked back into August (we’ve gone more recently spring break, no thanks & October, probs w prices at Dolphin b/c conventions). But just this week Ds says forget about August, way too hot, what? haha.

Our next trip will be another epic fam trip. a lucky 13 of us this time, maybe more. I’m psyched, love the planning. And my darling fam all appreciate it, which I also love.

Let’s admit it, I love looking like a planning genius, when in fact it’s TP and the group wisdom of you guys on Chat and Forum that bring out the genius plans.

4 Likes

I think it use to be crowded in July, so people stopped going.

1 Like

For us it was awesome. We didn’t have dinner before it and there was plenty of food, not only desserts, and the quality was much better than I expected. It is pricey, no doubt, but walking into the private viewing area 15 minutes before HEA, sitting down on the (fake) grass…for us that was very much worth it. I do not know anything about the after party though. I know @sethpetryjohnson did it so maybe he can jump in the conversation.

1 Like

I know, I guess I was thinking the same- that it’s changed b/c others thought it was very crowded then, which it used to be.

I really still like the last 2 weeks of August. We avoid the afternoons entirely, the kiddos enjoy the pool without any sniffles happening. And the Dolphin has some great discounts then.

I have a feeling Ds just will have to be outvoted by the rest of fam haha.

1 Like

We have done both the garden view HEA dessert party and the after party. I didn’t think the viewing area was crowded. We did the after party in July and showed up to the viewing area 10 minutes before HEA and sat on the fake grass and had a fabulous view. The after party was amazing. There were four other groups there. No lines for food. The CMs were so fun and were dancing and singing. It’s ridiculously expensive but we loved it.

1 Like

We paid for the after party but skipped desserts. The kids were zombies by the end of HEA so we just left.

Was nice to show up at 845 and get a spot on the grass with elbow room though; the thought of fighting those crowds on main street is an uncomfortable one!

2 Likes

Part of it might be the newer pricing plan; it costs more to go in the summer than during other times of the year, sso I’m guessing that many people who don’t “have” to go then, are choosing to go at other times.

1 Like

Well…I have just begun considering a new trip next July !!! :smiley:

1 week at DW + 1 week at the beach; sounds good no ?

We have spent a few days in Cocoa Beach 3 years ago. It was OK but not great. Is there a great beach town not too far from WDW ? Something with a cool boardwalk, mini golf and stuff to keep kids happy ?

I’m perhaps a bit prejudiced, but I think the FL panhandle beaches are some of the finest in the country (and I’ve bee to a lot of beaches). Destin/Sandestin, Fort Walton Beach, and Pensacola Beach are all beautiful, have tons of dining and shopping options, and other “activities” to keep the kids occupied. But it’s not exactly “close” to WDW; 5-7 hour drive, depending on which you chose. There may be some others on the Gulf Coast closer to Orlando that are just as nice, but living in Pensacola, I haven’t felt the need to do a lot of exploring…

4 Likes

I think Clearwater Beach would be roughly the closest gulf coast option and it is a little further drive (extra 30 minutes) than Cocoa, mostly since you have to drive through Tampa to get there. My impression is Cocoa is more touristy with boardwalk/mini golf type options than anything I recall at Clearwater. Clearwater is a very nice beach that gets high marks though…

1 Like

Looks real nice but yeah I am hoping to find something ideally under a 3-hour drive. It does look lovely though ! :slight_smile:

It is hot in July, but with cooling towels, sunblock, and water bottles I had no issues. Also, I do 3 sit down meals a day and indoor attractions during the hottest times.

1 Like

Yeah I saw some pictures of Clearwater and it looks awesome. We certainly could go there !!! :slight_smile:

If you did do Clearwater, Busch Gardens would be a relatively easy day trip and you could always catch a Tampa Bay Rays game (or Lightning depending on time of year) if those held any interest…

1 Like

Interesting !!! Is Busch Gardens good with the 7-year old crowd ? For some reason I have in my mind that it is more a thrill ride place for taller kids but it’s not based on any facts at all, just an impression.

I just LOVE baseball but I am very alone in this in my family unfortunately LOL

I can’t offer any recent opinions about Busch Garden unfortunately so hopefully someone else will jump in.

The Rays could be a good thing for you to sneak off to some night if you can manage. It is an interesting park to see in person, tickets can be bought relatively cheap on the Stub Hubs of the world even for good seats and they crank the AC way up - at least if you’re in the lower bowl the AC is very nice.

1 Like

LOL AC at a baseball game !!! We used to have the Expos here in Montreal and they had to HEAT the stadium in the spring and fall !!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I miss going to games at the Big Owe. We used to get up there for around a game a year for most of the '90s until they moved. Will always remember seeing Greg Maddux in the rain one year when the roof was broken. And we were there when McGwire broke the HR record - the fans in the luxury box started going nuts at a random time that made no sense for our game, but then the game “paused” while they put McGwire’s record setting HR on the jumbo tron for all to see. Only time I can really remember a game pausing like that for even the players to watch the jumbo tron.

There are some similarities between the Rays park and the Expos, although the reason behind needing a dome isn’t one of them…

1 Like