Possible - now active - trip report

Well we are slated to travel Sunday to WDW. Just me and my DD9. We’ve been once in May 2019 (trip report is posted here somewhere). Prior to the first trip DD9 (6 at time) rolled her ankle and it was swollen. We were able to get a stroller rental and she did great during the trip. This time she came home yesterday with fever. At home COVID test neg and she’s vaccinated (two weeks post second shot Saturday). We’re off to the doctor to get checked out as she has some other weird (noncovid) symptoms. She cried yesterday that we may have the cancel. Cross fingers!

I’m also going to try and live report the trip (if we make it) but that’s hard to do with kids. No idea how @Jeff_AZ does it.

Coming from Boston my brain can’t compute how to appropriately pack for Florida. Looks like it’s going to be warm? I may be sublimating the chance of cancelling into packing worries…

Ps. I can’t figure out how to tag this as a trip report. The optional tag doesn’t give me that choice.

8 Likes

It’s not a tag, it’s a category, you can go back and edit.

4 Likes

I hope DD9 feels well soon! And good luck with your trip report! Live can be easier if you just take it in small chunks / quick posts while waiting in line or waiting for food, as opposed to writing a novel every night or morning.

7 Likes

Hope DD feels better soon! I just got back on Monday and in 1 week I wore everything from a swimsuit and shorts to pants, long sleeves, a fleece, and a beanie. Definitely pack layerable options.

4 Likes

Thanks all. All great advice.

1 Like

I hope you can make it! I have the same issues with packing for warm weather when it’s not warm at home. So hard to wrap my brain around 80 degrees in December!

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that DD is not feeling well! :disappointed_relieved: I hope you don’t need to cancel.

I’m in northern CA and 80 degree weather in December doesn’t compute in my brain either. Pack layers. When we were there in December 2019, I packed thermals because I heard that the weather is fickle in December in FL. They are thin and light enough to throw into the daypacks. And we were there 15 days and the weather forecast doesn’t go out that far. The weather can be in the 70s and low 80s during the day and drop to the 50s and 60s at night and it can be that cold in the mornings. We went to the Christmas Party one night and it was 70+ degrees at midnight! The next night, it was in the high 50s at 7 pm already! It was cold.

I leave for FL Saturday night. I will be packing thermals again!

2 Likes

I moved it into Trip Reports for you. I hope DD feels better and you get to go! I don’t have little kids and can’t live report :joy:

4 Likes

Thanks for moving this.

1 Like

Great idea. We have some packable winter jackets (the kind that squish down a lot). It’s weird I’m more worried about overheating then getting cold right now. I’ll bring gloves and hat just for getting out of Boston too. Should I bother with shorts or just leggings for her and me?

2 Likes

So saw the doctor. Fever is already gone. Rapid test neg. COVID pcr pending (should be back tomorrow). Doctor ok’d Disney. My concern is she has an odd thing going on and they want an ultrasound today or tomorrow. Maybe unrelated to fever? Thankfully she feels good and this shouldn’t get in the way of the trip. Still unnerving to be starting a vacation away with medical uncertainty.

7 Likes

That is your personal choice! In the 80s, I personally wouldn’t wear long pants. I don’t normally wear skirts to an amusement park. But I recently wore a travel skirt to Disneyland because it was in the 80s during the day but dropping to the low 60s once the sun went down. It was super easy to pull on the thermal pants without having to take off the skirt in the bathroom! I pulled on a thermal top, too. Toasty. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Happy to hear that DD is cleared for travel! Hope she will bounce back quickly.

1 Like

I think you would regret not packing shorts. I was hot even wearing mine.

3 Likes

We traveled from MA to WDW in Jan 2020. Just me and DS(then)7. On our arrival day it was 13 degrees at 5am at home when we left, low 60s at MK around 2 when we got there, and maybe high 40’s to 50 in MK after the sun went down. That was our coolest day. We kept our fleece, hats and mittens on when the sun went down in MK but we’re not “cold” at all having just left weather in the teens. The CMs were frigid though! Most of the week we dressed like we would for a school day during early fall in New England. Hoodies over a t-shirt in the morning and removing layers as the day went on. I was comfy in leggings and jeggings and a few days DS did shorts. Three days I was rocking only a tank in the afternoon. Cardigans were really useful and we used our rain jackets (for warmth) in the mornings too. Good news was that in 9 days it rained only twice - once for about 10 minutes and the other time for about 2 hours. I hope you have an amazing time and all is well in with your DD!

1 Like

I did lots of dresses with running shorts the first time we went in may. It was really comfortable. Good way to aerate!

1 Like

I’m really looking forward to the lack of summer rains. We’ll have ponchos just in case. This sound like a great plan. Forecast is 80’s. It snowed here last night. Ultimately I will not complain if I’m too hot lol.

DD9’s temp is back up but not terrible. Ultrasound scheduled tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully we have more clarity by tomorrow night about what’s going on.

1 Like

Hope she continues to feel better and the US is negative

2 Likes

Wishing you the best of luck. I completely get the anxiety! DS got sick while we in the middle of our EP day (came down with a slight fever and was lethargic) and I broke down in tears at EP after getting lost trying to find the first aid center to check his temp once i realized he wasn’t ok. A hero of a CM took good care this tearful single mom, guided me towards the first aid center, got DS a stroller to lounge in, and made some pixie dust adjustments to our vacation package and while our EP day was a total bust, we rebounded quickly after a day of rest and were enamored with our trip by the end. I’ll be rooting for you and DD!

ETA: figured it was worth reiterating that this took place in Jan 2020 before we knew about COVID. I first learned of it’s existence on the last day of our vacation.

5 Likes

I’ve been to WDW 3 x in this time of year (well, Thanksgiving week). We brought both summer and winter clothes all times and always wore some of each. Light layers are good. I hope your daughter feels better soon.

1 Like