Popcorn buckets...Not sure about them

While I do understand that people like to munch on popcorn and that refills are priced quite reasonably AND that they make a cute souvenir…aren’t they annoying to schlep around? I feel like it would just be one more thing to have to keep a carry and not lose.
What are your thoughts on them?

1 Like

We bought one once and it was so annoying to carry round all day that we would never have taken it another day. And it took up loads of space in our luggage getting it home.

2 Likes

We have had a stroller the last several visits, which makes it easy. Don’t know if I’d want to carry it around otherwise!

1 Like

I hook it through a strap on my backpack and it’s not too annoying. If I had to carry it in my hand all day I would not want one.

Keep in mind all that salt can help lead to dehydration which is already something to be concerned about on those hot summer days.

I agree—I miss the stroller years sometimes. You get places so much faster but you have to carry your own stuff! My youngest is 8 now and has more energy and stamina than the rest of us combined so no stroller for him last 2 trips!

I think a lot of them can be attached to a strap on a bag but it’s definitely something else to carry.

3 Likes

Not to mention it makes for a great plow :joy: just kidding. I’ve never run into people (on purpose).:wink:
I do love the ability to just throw extra shirts, souvenirs, food, etc into the bottom of the stroller.

2 Likes

We got the regular - but holiday themed - bucket in 2018. I used a carabiner and hooked it to my bag. Wasn’t too annoying. It’s now a cute place to store sidewalk chalk. We weren’t on the dining plan that year and it saved us a small fortune in snacks.

1 Like

We got one the last 2 trips with DD’s, our last trip just DH and I we didn’t and I missed it. They make a great snack to eat at your own pace. We carry a backpack and have a carbiner on nag and just hook it there.

Couldn’t you just wear it as a hat? Shade and fashion combined!

1 Like

Thanks for this reminder to add a carabiner to my shopping/packing list! :slight_smile: For us it’s totally worth it, because it’s basically all my then-two year old ate for the week. We had a stroller, though, so it was easy to just clip it to the handle.

We bought one our first day there and then proceeded to forget to bring it or forget to fill it when we had it. Ultimately, it got filled twice so it was not a great deal for us. I also found it annoying to carry when I had it.

I don’t like carrying them myself. We have gotten them a couple of times for the kids but then they have to carry them.

I would rather just pay the extra and get a single serve for me.

Except I do have the limited edition Steamboat Willie bucket - it is on my desk here at work and full of candy for my staff. It will never be all greasy and gross. I love it too much.

4 Likes

i was going to get one for my kids to snack on… but now we have the dining plan so i think ill just for go and if we want to snack on popcorn we will just get a bag. Lugging it around every day looks like a pain even with the stroller.

1 Like

Unpopular opinion: The popcorn is not good.

3 Likes

When we brought ours home, we just packed things in it and placed the whole thing in the suitcase. It did not take up very much extra room.

Our first few trips my kids lived on popcorn. I would purchase a bucket and then on our last day, I would wash it and bring it to the park…

And find a family to pass it off too. (Along with a pack of Clorox wipes :joy:)

It was always fun to spread a little magic!

But now? The kids aren’t into popcorn. :woman_shrugging:t3: so I haven’t bought a bucket in ages.

Maybe I’ll get one for our trip next month. Which I should really make some plans for.

3 Likes

I agree that souvenir popcorn buckets would be annoying to carry around so I have never bought one since the only other place I eat popcorn is at the cinema and I’d feel stupid emptying my popcorn into a personal container. However, at least the Disney buckets have handles. On my last visit I spent most of the afternoon and all evening carrying around the little orange birdie drink container that WDW sells in the Canadian Pavilion during the Flower and Garden Festival, and now it’s sits in the dark of my kitchen cabinet.

Our youngest is too old too, but we were like “where will we stash our stuff”. Our rental unit included a stroller, so we are totally bringing it each day to hold our jackets, snacks etc. We just park it in a section and leave it for a long time…LOL

4 Likes

We packed things in ours too, but it didn’t stop it being much bulkier and awkwardly shaped and taking up more space than the stuff we packed in it would have taken. We couldn’t squish it to fit more in like you can with clothes.

The most fun thing about the popcorn bucket I got a couple of years ago was the interaction with Dug when I was meeting him and Russel. He totally went for the bucket that was attached to my bag that the handler had taken to set to the side. She got a bunch of cute pics of it on my phone.

Other than that it was just annoying to schlep around. And I only refilled it maybe twice.

1 Like