POLL: Will you watch the new Mulan on Disney+ (released 9/4)?

We have to wait a few days if we all want to watch together. Sigh.

1 Like

None of the above :woman_shrugging: I have never seen the animated Mulan. My friend is planning to buy it and we will likely watch during our week at WDW since parks close early.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good idea

I donā€™t have a problem with the business model, and if it was a movie I would see in the theatres Iā€™d happily pay the money to watch at home and have a movie night with the family. But this one isnā€™t up our alley - my boys are 4 and 6 and while they do love Mulan, I donā€™t think theyā€™re ready for a dragon-free, song-free, PG13 one, and Iā€™ve heard it earns that rating.

If theyā€™d charged $30 for Hamilton I would have paid it.

7 Likes

I donā€™t know why it got a pg13?

1 Like

Watched Mulan tonight and loved it! They added enough elements to the story and plot to make it interesting, new characters, and great moral. The on location filming was fantastic. The martial arts and action sequences were impressive. Totally worth the $29.99, IMO.

6 Likes

This makes it more appealing. DD started karate a few months ago, she might like that.

2 Likes

I re-watched the original toon version of Mulan and Mulan II last night and will re-watch the new version again just to savor the changes. I didnā€™t care much for Mushu in Mulan IIā€¦ very selfish indeed and odd that they seems to turn him into a bit of a villainā€¦

I still think the beginning CGI in the new Mulan is choppy and thereby distracting but I love, love, love the hawk/witch transformations and the relationships developed there.

carry on

3 Likes

Finally watched it Thursday. I really liked it! DD20 is a huge Mulan fan. She didnā€™t like it as much or at least still prefers the animated version. It was really a beautiful movie set/location wise.

1 Like

I watched it a second time and noticed many details I missed the first timeā€¦ just sharing :wink: Like it even more second time.

3 Likes

This completely.

Iā€™m still on the fence with this version. I wanna see it, but the preview I saw in hs made the movie look awwwwful (mulan seemingly fully trained as a child/young adult. I meanā€¦ why need to go through the academy if sheā€™s that ā€œmiraculouslyā€ gifted :unamused:.)

I donā€™t wanna pay $30 and be annoyed that I did so

I was disappointed on my first watch, especially w/ CGI and the young Mulan. Then I watched it a second time and developed a greater appreciation for details I missed. I really like the addition of the Hun witch

2 Likes

We are not going to buy it, but I do like the way they set it up to be able to watch it for as long as you have Disney+, instead of a limited time. We probably wouldnā€™t have seen it at the theatres anyway. Iā€™ve only really loved two of the live version remakes (BatB & Cinderella), and did like Aladdin. We have our home theatre set up to be much more comfortable on a very large screen with Atmos sound, so we prefer to watch movies at home.

2 Likes

Do you have a good popcorn maker too :wink:

1 Like

We can make popcorn with real butter, so thatā€™s something. Not that we really eat popcornā€¦ also, we can eat real food instead of junk food.

2 Likes

I really liked the movie but my advice for you would be to wait till December. That way you wonā€™t feel that pang of regret in the event you donā€™t like it.

ETA: I would recommend it only for those who wonā€™t regret spending $30 if itā€™s just ok.

3 Likes

I like the excuse to eat junk foodā€¦ another guilty pleasure of the theater experience.

2 Likes

I ended up buying it. We just bought a new house this summer and recently got the home theater all set up that will let the dolby vision and atmos of the film do their thing, so that helped justify the purchase. The visuals and sound I thought were amazing. I enjoyed the different take on the story, but yes the missing songs and Mushu were a negative to us, but I get it. A lot of times it didnt feel like a Disney movie at all, which is good and bad. Overall, we liked it, probably 8/10.

I know thereā€™s some controversy with the connection to the Chinese province filming location that was credited and all the human rights issues. I do think Disney can be a little hypocritical over which cultural causes it takes a hard stand on and which ones it doesnt, but that isnt enough for me to boycott the movie or anything. Iā€™d say itā€™s worth the $30 for a group of 4 or larger, but probably fine waiting til itā€™s free if just one or two unless youā€™re huge Mulan fans.

3 Likes

After I watched it once I went back and re watched the toon versions. I remember Mushu making us laugh, but shhhhhh many ppl donā€™t like him in that movie. Plz haters you already told me once :wink: I donā€™t miss the music at all and realize that Disney has many many movies w/o music i.e. Toy Story.

1 Like