Poll Time! The Star Wars Films

This is an insightful and brilliant way to look at it and bucks the misconception that scores are only “supporting” or “accompanying”. Williams’ themes are Star Wars.

6 Likes

On one of the blu-ray releases of The Last Jedi, Rian Johnson included a “score only” mode where you can watch the film with no dialogue or sound effects - just the score. It’s awesome. I wish I had that for all 9 films.

5 Likes

It’s been about a year since I powered through the whole series and it was my first time watching 2, 3, and 7-9. These is an EXCELLENT synopsis!

1 Like

Great poll. Instead of top 3, I was hoping for the “one”, the “Rogue One” favorite film.

You need to break the analysis up into age groups. The emotional attachment to a particular movie of set of three moves is most -likely correlated to the age of the movie-goer.

While a lot of us old-farts will always stick to episodes 4-6, you should be seeing a trend from the younger generations that are saying episodes 1-3 and episodes 7-9 are better. Those are the movies they grew-up with and had a deep emotional attachment to.

4 Likes

I grew up loving Empire. I remember the thrill / shock of learning Darth Vader’s identity! It will always be my favorite. However, I love Rouge One even more. RO is such a great movie!! You don’t even need any movie before or after it to understand the universe / story!! It’s a complete story that is almost perfect.

4 Likes

Apparently dh (who is a huge SW fan) read ESB before it was released on screen. For some reason there were a few pages stuck together towards the end of the book and he totally skipped the scene where Luke’s paternity was revealed. He finished the book and was very confused until he went back and realized he skipped two pages! :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

We will (may) narrow it down to one later. Incidentally, I wish I had given myself 4 options because Rogue One is my 4th favorite! I love that movie so much. But then I would be wishing I could pick 5. And so forth.

4 Likes

This is so true and I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the poll results. People who didn’t see the originals growing up liked the prequels better as they were released since they were more fast-paced. And then lately, young people identify more with the sequels since they are geared to a modern audience. (Also I think the sequels have the best overall production value - best effects, best sets and props, best creatures, etc.)

This poll has made me want to revisit the Marvel series that I started last year and quickly abandoned.

2 Likes

Yay I got to vote in this poll! I have opinions and can pick my favorite Star Wars movies!! I guess they are like my kids! :thinking:

I’m one of probably a few around here that is old enough to have seen the originals in a theater the day they were released.

One of my earliest childhood memories was being in the theater during ESB and the power went out! It was the first movie I ever saw with a spoiler and I’ve been chasing that thrill ever since!

I loved the movies! I was always Leia when me and my cousins (all boys) played Star Wars. I had a lot of the toys, my cousin had even more! I watched the Christmas Special on TV, with commercials!! But I’m not a super fan. I’ve never watched any of the animated series, or read any books. There is a lot I don’t know about the characters and the world they live.

I was excited for the prequels, but I hated them. I’ve never really been able to put my finger on why. (Sorry @Jeff_AZ 🫣) but my DD(now 30) loved them so I tried to see it through her eyes.

I loved TFA! Rey is awesome! I loved that there were new characters and stories with just the right amount of nostalgia. But as we were talking in the car after seeing it I said “if Snoke ends up being the Emperor I’m going to be mad” well he wasn’t Snoke but they still managed to resurrect him. :roll_eyes:

I absolutely love RO!! For the same reasons I love the Mandalorian, it’s in the universe but isn’t just focused on that Skywalker family. I also really enjoyed Solo.

I know the whole 9 movies is called the Skywalker Saga but I like new characters and stories in the world. The whole universe doesn’t have to revolve around one family right?!

4 Likes

I like that there is a common thread, but it doesn’t mean it all “revolves” around that family. Just that they’re there to witness / take part in it. A common theme in Star Wars is family - be it blood, found family, etc.

1 Like

Yeah that makes sense. I guess I was just hoping for more new. I really just wanted Rey to be a nobody. And for more exploration of Fin’s force sensitivity. Kind of a message that you don’t have to be a Skywalker or Palpatine to use the force and be special.

4 Likes

A poll about SW. makes you want to watch Marvel?

:thinking:

3 Likes

Well I binge watched all the SW 9 and now I know wtf is happening in all these polls and stuff that I can now contribute to. I started doing the Marvel series and gave up, but I think it’s worth the completion now.

4 Likes

Me too! And I’m guessing I’m older, since I was a teen by the time ESB came out!

2 Likes

I am hoping this will happen in a Disney+ series or Episode X, etc.!

Just barely, I was 9. I thought I was older but looked up the release date.

3 Likes

Just want to say I unwillinging saw all the movies, my son’s were all crazy about them, so I know far more than I ever wanted to about Star Wars because I had boys! Lol

3 Likes

I would doubt that would happen since John Boyega does not have good things to say about his experience with Star Wars.

2 Likes

It is!

2 Likes