Poll Time! The Star Wars Films

Oh good another thing I can get wrong! :wink:

4 Likes

I agree.:+1:

1 Like

Agreed! The biggest travesty of this poll so far is that 26% of voters haven’t seen Solo!

1 Like

Edited to say … talking about the kiss.

I looked at it more as trauma bonding. I felt the same about Jyn Erso and that other guy in Rogue One. The world is ending and you automatically feel closer to this person who’s experiencing it with you. That doesn’t necessarily translate to love and romance. More of a basic need for human contact.

I didn’t think it was like Leia and Luke kissing. That was Leia trying to make Han jealous! Completely different scenario.

4 Likes

Couple things:

JJ Did map out the trilogy, it was to be basically a rehash of the original trilogy. Snoke was to be what the Emperor was, the “bad guy in the shadow”.

Rian (famously) ignored the map out and started his own thing. Killing Snoke was one of the events. After the abysmal fan reaction to LotJ, he was fired and JJ was brought back.

JJ being back could now not use Snoke. But he still needed/wanted his big-bad, but there was really very little time and opportunity to write in a whole new character, so they took the path of least resistance and Palpatine was written back in.

EDIT: the sequels were doomed to be garbage from the jump when they were set to be basically reboots of the original trilogy. They were never going to be well received with this intention.

And we didn’t need them to be reboots either. It’s the same problem that Hollywood keeps doing with all reboots of classic movies.

5 Likes

I have seen bits of 2 and 3 but never the whole films from start to end. And never seen any of Solo.

2 Likes

I’ve watched a lot of the documentaries and while it’s clear that they left the door open to change their minds, they did have an idea or a few ideas of what they could do. And yes, they left it open for Rian Johnson to change course. That was the way they determined to do the collaboration - filmmaking is a director’s art form, and so they want to give the directors creative license.

I think they recognize now that having a single person directing all three would have been preferable, which Kathy Kennedy admitted in a recent interview. It’s the one thing I think could have improved the sequel trilogy.

BUT it doesn’t make it bad. I think people overstate how much Rian took it in a “different” direction or JJ took it back. I think both VIII and IX honor their predecessors and build on what was there.

Looking just at the Rey plot point, the “nobody” vs. the “Palpatine” plot points are not necessarily contradictory - they are just steps on Rey’s journey. First she needed to accept that she didn’t have a family - she was alone. She learned some very important things from that. Then she needed to learn that she had the potential for darkness inside her - she needed to overcome that as well. As I said before, plot is secondary to story = character development. What does Rey need to face and experience in order to grow? It could have just as easily been that she is a Kenobi or Luke’s daughter or whatever and you could have the same effect.

4 Likes

Excellently done :joy:

3 Likes

I SO wanted this to be true after we saw EPVII!

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, this would have been the way I would have liked it to play out since Kenobi is my favorite character, but I love the way it was in the movie, too! There are some really cool dynamics that wouldn’t have been possible any other way, and Ian McDiarmid (the actor who plays Emperor) is badass. Couldn’t have happened to a better person.

3 Likes

Do we need the spoiler protection? The polls are based on viewing of the movies already.

3 Likes

I don’t think so

2 Likes

Once I start I can’t stop!

3 Likes

6 Likes

TWSS
(or was it he who said it?)

3 Likes

I just continued what was there. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

OK I’ll just put a warning here and we can proceed without tags from now on:

THAR BE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

4 Likes

nuh uh

1 Like

5 Likes

Thank you for catching that. :wink: Also totally a TWHS, IMHO.

4 Likes