Poll Time! Rate Chapek

All I can say is there are some movies we want to see that are coming to theatres (well, HAS come to theatres in one case) that we will not be seeing now until it is available at home (not a Disney movie, so not available on Disney+).

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking about your other points, thanks for the perspective!

But, I donā€™t think you can attribute any more comfortable attendance levels last August and October to anything Chapek did with pricing etc. 2020 then was complete flux and many people were still figuring out if theyā€™d even leave the house.

It was pretty crowded everywhere last month, but now it seems weā€™re back in that flux again with the current reports of drops in crowd level seeming to be on top of the usual end of summer drop off.

Personally I donā€™t think weā€™ll know how current pricing decisions affected attendance until at least next year.

5 Likes

Ahhh, yesā€¦someone else waiting on Top Gun 2!

2 Likes

Well, for one, last December Star Wars announced like 10 new series coming out on Disney+. Chapek is CEO so he gets credit in my book for greenlighting those projects. Same story for Marvel fans (not to mention that much of the Marvel content was produced since Chapek took over).

As it relates to the parks, I liked the cavalcades, impromptu character interactions, and generally industry- leading health and safety measures (notwithstanding the lack of notice on some of the changes), even when local authorities didnā€™t require such measures.

2 Likes

I never go to the cinema - or basically never, I think the last time was to see A Quiet Place - and I wonā€™t buy films on D+ so I feel like Iā€™m not qualified to judge. But lots of my friends seem to have been going regularly. Especially taking their kids during the school holidays.

1 Like

People who donā€™t want to pay for premium access can just wait 2-3 months and watch it when itā€™s included in their subscription, just like when films have an exclusive run in theaters.

2 Likes

Is the park stuff down to Chapek or Josh Dā€™Amaro though? Ok I see what youā€™re saying now. Though I do think thatā€™s heā€™s more on the big picture money side than guest experiences in the park side.

2 Likes

Does that make it a good thing though? We donā€™t have to pay for G+, we could just ride standby. That doesnā€™t mean G+ is good.

3 Likes

As Len and Jim talked about on this weekā€™s Disney Dish- getting into a big public fight with ā€œthe talentā€ is not a good move.

4 Likes

Yeah their conversation on Scarlett Johansson is actually one of the main inspirations for this thread. Itā€™s hard to know exactly what to attribute to Chapek and what to attribute to other leaders.

I think itā€™s pretty clear that Chapekā€™s public facing persona comes across very profit-focused and a little too slick like a salesman. He doesnā€™t have any warmth. I think that is probably because he is profit-focused, but it could also cause us to blame him for all the bad stuff, even that which he doesnā€™t deserve.

But like Len and Jim said, the Scarlett Johansson stuff must have crossed his desk, so that is clearly a point against him.

5 Likes

For those that have a modest TV-setup at home, I can totally see how Premium Access seems like a kick in the junk. The same money put out for a high-quality experience but instead you only get a mediocre experience.

However, if you have a high-end Home Theater setup, Premium Access is a deal and a half. For the longest time I have had to wait for releases on DVD before being able to see some movies (Iā€™m not really a fan of theatersā€¦or rather, fellow patrons of said theaters). The wait ended up being a $5-$15 extra expense for few day rental, or a $20-$30 for a permanent purchase. The few times I did deal with the theaters, it was $12-$24 depending on when I went (and thatā€™s just for MY ticket).

Now, with the premium access, I can actually save the $5-$15 or spend the $30 out of the gate with the permanent purchase (so long as i have D+ and I donā€™t see me giving it up for a long long time).

But all that comes with the caveat that my home theater setup is on the higher end. Without it, I would definitely think premium access is a waste of money.

6 Likes

I agree with your point. But more importantly, am I the only one seeing this?

2 Likes

He has ghosted himself

3 Likes

stupid forum is being a pain. I tried changing my avatar last night and itā€™s having some sorta fit.

2 Likes

Ok Iā€™m way behind in all the other threads (people must have a lot of free time lately) so I missed it. Iā€™m glad it isnā€™t my forum interface thatā€™s glitching out. :rofl:

2 Likes

Mr Sunshine as always! :laughing::laughing::laughing::heart:

ā€œYeahā€¦letā€™s be sure to try to get rid of those while the that liner Covid freak is in the bubbleā€¦sheā€™ll love thatā€¦ā€ :persevere:

But yes, the D+ PPV new releases have worked well for our family. And I hope they keep the cavalcades!

2 Likes

Did it change your background but not your avatar ? Or has your background always been so cool?

2 Likes

i went through and changed both. Background took, avatar crashed and burned. (thank ya)

2 Likes

My impression was Jim squarely blamed Chapek (although that may have been on the Marvel pod now that I think about it - they blur together) for being the one to champion the attempt to screw over Scarlett on her contract to set the tone that he was in charge now. They also noted that Chapek had overruled the Marvel president on releasing Black Widow on DIS+ instead of only theatrical as planned. Frankly picking a public spat with Scarlett seems insane when they had plans to do a Tower of Terror movie soon and Scarlett being out will likely cost them the director as well.

5 Likes

Itā€™s just the principle of the thing. We have a good set up but Iā€™m paying for D+, I donā€™t want stuff on there thatā€™s an extra charge. Obviously this is simple, I just donā€™t buy it.

1 Like