Poll Time! IP in the Parks?

Seems to come down to how well it merges with the attraction and land.
Personally, you put a plain rollercoaster in fantasyland: 3 out of 10.
Add some story, dodging monsters and hurling special FX: 6 out of 10.
Make that story a Disney IP and the monsters Villains… say Hercules?
Now you’re in Headliner country 9/10

4 Likes

About halfway through the 7 days this poll is open and so far it’s pretty split. Seems like people are pretty happy with the current balance?

I wonder how much of a nostalgic boost “original” gets as it often includes attractions we think of as opening day attractions or something Walt was personally involved in.

ETA: I know I often view HM and CBJ thru that lens

2 Likes

Good point. It’s easy to say that original IP would be great … it’s another thing entirely to actually realize good IP. It takes as much genius to come up with something satisfying as it does to come up with a good movie or TV show … so why not just kill two birds with one stone and get a movie + ride out of IP?

Thinking through, what was the last truly original themed ride at WDW? Soarin’?

3 Likes

Heck be like Mike Eisner and double down on the IP!
(Yes, I’m looking at you, Splash Mountain!)

1 Like

I think Expedition Everest is more recent than Soarin’ (which if memory serves first opened on that Other Coast didn’t it?)

Of course, if we want to lump into the “not based on IP” category, the subcategory “based on IP that nobody recalls” then we’ve got TRON and all of Pandora… but that’s something else entirely

2 Likes

Ah yes, how could I forget. EE opened in 2006 vs. Soarin’ in 2001 at DCA.

1 Like

I gotta say, I’m really digging the new Moana themed rooms. I want to redo my house to Moana themed decor. :joy:

6 Likes

The carpet in the hallway made me think of CSR. Overall it’s well done. A better remodel that CR, even though I liked the Incredibles theming there.

1 Like

I wonder if Contempo will look better when the bloggers get more pics? We really didn’t see much from Disney - just 5 photos or so. With different lighting and angles it could make a big difference. (I say this as someone who liked the Incredibles theming, but I know others didn’t.)

2 Likes

Yeah, not gonna lie…I’m a tiny bit sad I changed from the Poly this trip. I may have to give up AKL for it next year before my Wish cruise.

1 Like

Poly before a cruise sounds lovely! (But then again, so does AKL …)

1 Like