Poll Time! IP in the Parks?

I think the CR is another example of some Disney fans “getting it” and others feeling strongly against it.

For anyone thinking I say “getting it” because I like it, please don’t because I don’t….

3 Likes

First of all, GOTG: Mission Breakout is hilarious. That ride is truly a blast and a completely different tone from ToT. I’m glad we have both but I chose GOTG.

Secondly, regarding IP in the parks it’s more complicated than IP or no IP for me. For some of the parks, namely EPCOT, the PARK is the IP. Or should be. So, I don’t really dig that they’re shoehorning movie IP into every available corner of EPCOT. EPCOT has its own IP and begs for original attractions. Having said that, I’m looking forward to the GOTG coaster and Remy. I just wish they’d put them in HS. I mean, it’s pretty funny to me that they have this whole movie-themed park yet are obsessed with cramming movie characters in all the other parks (and resorts).

5 Likes

I have not gotten to ride Mission Breakout, but I still voted for it over ToT. I love my Guardians!!!

2 Likes

Dd and I had a long conversation about all of these questions on our way to pick ds from camp.

The responses above are mine (she would have voted for FEA over Maelstrom), but we both agreed that Disney needs to step it up and develop more original stories/content/concepts. Dd’s comment was that they are playing it too safe relying on IP and they would be able to do so many amazing things if they would just break out of their comfort zone again!

Matching IP to existing park areas/attractions or resorts is fine if it is done well, not over the top, and is appropriate. Moana at the Poly :+1:t3:, Tiana at POFQ (or POR, but FQ would be better) :+1:t3:, but Merida at OKW wouldn’t work at all! :rofl:

I could definitely see Pocahantas at Fort Wilderness and even Pete’s Dragon at the Yacht Club.

As for ToT and GotG, we are huge fans of both and are fine w/ them being different at each park. I will give a slight edge to GotG as I live in a Marvel loving household and it is definitely more fun. The Rocket commentary alone puts it over the top!

2 Likes

No help with Beauty and the Beast, but…

The breakfast at 1900 Park Fare has been Mary Poppins/Alice in Wonderland/Pooh for at least 20 years (I went to it in 2000 and it was those characters). BUT they have not said Citricos is Mary Poppins themed. They said "inspired by the park in Mary Poppins Returns. It may be semantics, but to me, inspired by the garden is very different from themeing after.

1 Like

Prince Charles famously once described a proposed modern extension to a classical building in London as “a monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend”.

One of the most creative and brilliant rides in DLP is their version of Space Mountain: a Jules Verne / steampunk fantasy journey from the Earth to the Moon. It is spectacular. A giant cannon explodes and fires you into space. People outside the ride see the massive recoil of the cannon as it blasts. And the riders whoosh around space, finally sailing past the Moon. I love it!

And then the most terrible, most unforgivable, most monstrous thing happened. Some massive, brainless idiot rethemed this gloriously imaginative ride as some ridiculous Star Wars nonsense. It makes literally no sense: the external show building remains as it was. But the interior is now a dark roller coaster with occasional big screen TVs showing grainy Star Wars battle footage.

It is an outrage. It fills me with such fury that I can barely even venture into that area of the park. It is just such pointless, wanton vandalism.

DLP used to outrank MK on a number of fronts: BTMR is better, HM is better, some say POTC is better, and Space Mountain was better. But then they destroyed one of the glories. And for what?

5 Likes

I adore Star Wars, and I haven’t been to DLP, but I agree with you there. Hyperspace Mountain at Disneyland is great. But DLP already had its own immersive, themed ride that didn’t need IP injected into it and from all accounts, it sounds like it made it worse.

2 Likes

OK that is terrible.

1 Like

To be honest, if I compare HM, PotC, and It’s a Small World between WDW and DL …the DL versions win hands down.

…and the biggest winner is the holiday overlay on Small World. I could ride that over and over and over (and I have, much to my son’s dismay!)

3 Likes

I haven’t been to DLP but that sounds like an abomination what was done to the Jules Verne-themed Space Mountain. I like Star Wars but they should have just built a stand alone attraction rather than doing that to Space Mountain.

And…that actually reminds me of another point. It would be nice if they insist on porting rides over from other parks that they either plus the rides, or do something different (like the different HMs in the different parks). For example, POTC in DLR is far superior (imo) to the shortened version in WDW.

2 Likes

Yes, I understand that Mary Poppins has been at the GF, and has been increasing, and Pooh just pops up in 1900 PF, oh- Alice too in the DVC pool…
Then- BatB.

Are we not suppose to notice or do they not know?

5 Likes

This one is a great example of IP in the parks. Several years ago (at Disneyland only) they did an IP infusion to several of the show scenes (adding Alice, Cinderella, etc. to Europe, Mowgli to Asia, Aladdin to the Middle East, etc.). Some people were furious when it was announced. But by the time it opened and people saw it, they were mostly pleased. (You can see discussion of this in the Imagineering Story.)

I for one loved the changes. They are subtle but add a bit more enchantment to the ride. Also every ride needs a little TLC from time to time.

That said, I liked the FEA redo as well. In that case, a full on story change with focus on the characters, songs, and moments from Frozen worked great. Each ride has to be approached differently.

1 Like

But I think we can all agree that Tomorrowland is long overdue for some IP with a vision of the future where humanity is unified, technology is an incredible boon to everyone and the galaxy is ours to explore… in other words, Star Trek.

LLAP baby.

5 Likes

Agreed, love the characters popping up in the various countries they are from!

I actually prefer Maelstrom, but FEA isn’t awful. It is a good fit, but was sad to see Maelstrom go.

3 Likes

IDK.

I’m still confused why something called the Grand Floridian is modeled after a hotel in California.

3 Likes

Is it permanent? DL sometimes has a Star Wars overlay on Space, but it can be removed. I know Jeff likes it, but I prefer the original Space.

1 Like

Stores. According to the teen that lives at my house, stores in the World need theming. AK has the most interesting stores because this one is African themed. This one is a riot of every road trip souvenir store crap for sale.
Also, IP needs to be on fewer shirts and more accessories and stuff that folks use. Custom Converse. Dalmatian Converse - no dogs were harmed.

As for Maelstrom v FEA. I’m a Maelstrom fan but it was getting in need of a refresh. With 3 great granddaughters in my house regularly, I’m over Frozen. But I’d ride FEA each trip. For certain each trip with those girls, just to see their joy.

Have not seen GotG at Disneyland. Last I was there was 2013 and I think the Nightmare overlay was on. I’d sure trade Dino and Indy stunt show for the Indy ride at Disneyland.

Overall I’m not unhappy with IP. So far.

4 Likes

I :heart: when you visit @janamelia! Glad to see you tonight.

2 Likes

It’s like 3:00 am there! Why are you awake? :sleeping:

3 Likes

LOL :joy::joy::rofl:
DS19 locked up when he went to bed forgetting DS21 wasn’t home from work yet. (9PM-3AM shift FedEx.)
DS21 had to call me to wake me to let him in. (DS19 turned his phone off.)

Why not check the forum?

9 Likes