Poll Time! Best Walt Disney Animation Film

I agree with Maleficent.
But. I also love to hate Mother Gothel.

5 Likes

I was very anti-Character clothing (actually very resistant to anything except Pooh and Lion King) for a long long time. Then I gave up/in.
It started with a little hand me down shirt of Aurora for DD6 (now DD17).
Aurora now has a special place for us bc she was the breakthrough.

Now my kids are full blown character-philes. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Oooh she is the Umbridge of Disney villains. :angry:

8 Likes

Fun fact: Make Mine Music is currently the only one of the 60 films not on Disney+. I have no idea why - it does have a couple of questionable sequences, but nothing much better or worse than the others. There is a sequence about a family feud that features comical gun violence that is not even on the DVD. There is also a sequence where you can see a girl showering and getting dressed for a dance, but it’s not like there is nudity. :man_shrugging:

ETA: We had to buy the DVD in order to complete our 60-movie challenge.

3 Likes

What does that mean?

1 Like

Dolores Umbridge in Harry Potter is someone who comes across as all cutesy and frail but beneath the surface she is cunning and cruel.

5 Likes

I had to Google it. I thought it was a new word for me!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Oh. I think Mother Gothel is deeply evil. Hateful hateful. Lied about motherhood. Ugh.

5 Likes

Yes, this describes Umbridge, too. Some people think she is even more detestable than the actual villain of Harry Potter, Voldemort.

7 Likes

Idk that she’s more detestable than Voldemort, but in some ways I think she’s scarier. Voldemort is certainly scary, but he’s very openly a Big Bad. There’s no hiding his evilness, you aren’t going to be surprised by him doing bad things because that’s Who He Is. But Umbridge, she pretends (and maybe even believes she is for a while) to be on the good side, and that what’s she’s doing is righteous. And nothing will convince her otherwise, and she’ll go to any end to accomplish what she thinks needs to happen. That, to me, is a recipe for an utterly terrifying villain.

Sorry for the mini diatribe, that is completely unrelated to the poll :see_no_evil:

9 Likes

And it is Very Important to stay on topic… I never go off topic.

5 Likes

I so so so agree with this! And also, because there are people like this in real life. It’s unlikely that any of us are going to have to face off against a Voldemort, but running into an Umbridge? We see them, every day!

7 Likes

You are in good company. :rofl:

You make great points. I almost think we learn too much about Voldemort/Riddle that it takes him down a few notches on the scale of terrifying and more toward pathetic. Bellatrix may be the most outright nasty and evil, but agree that the cold and fascist nature of Umbridge wrapped in the sweet little old lady exterior is scarier.

7 Likes

Agreed, learning Tom Riddle’s back story does add a layer of sympathy/understanding that makes him slightly less scary. Not saying everything he did was justifiable or understandable, not even close, but all the history we get on him does give us a bit of an idea of how he got started on that path. And yea Bellatrix is just nasty, that’s a great way to describe her. Almost comedically in the extreme though. Something about Umbridge to me is just chilling. Possible because, like @emcglone said, we are far more likely to experience people like her in our day to day lives than a Voldemort or a Bellatrix

Clearly I’m a bit of a Potterhead, glad I’m in good company :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I guess a Potter poll is in order after the Pixar one … but I guess that will go in the Universal category! :joy:

10 Likes

I’ll have to keep an eye out for that one! I grew up on HP, was devastated when I didn’t get that letter on my 11th bday

3 Likes

Aw bless! You really are young!! :laughing:
I was well past 11 when the books came out :pensive::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

I was 5 :rofl:. Yup, I’m used to being the baby lol

4 Likes

That’s actually pretty cool.
I would’ve loved to have read HP as a kid.
The Jill Murphy Worst Witch books were around for me though, so I made do :mage:t4::man_mage:t4::+1:t2::laughing:

5 Likes

Had to look those up, I hadn’t heard of them. The covers are adorable. Do they age like the HP books, or is the whole series for children?

2 Likes